Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Mar 3, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #5,686 of 9,628
If it has the old box design it will be the the old version made in Romania - unless there were some new ones that came in the old boxes........

Can you post some pictures?

If the box is stamped with 508231 it uses the old mold regardless if it was manufactured in Ireland or Romania. However it should be noted that Sennhesier made some minor visual tweaks to the later 508231 models. You won't get the new one unless the box is printed with the 508826 model number.

Mar 3, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #5,687 of 9,628
If the box is stamped with 508231 it uses the old mold regardless if it was manufactured in Ireland or Romania.........You won't get the new one unless the box is printed with the 508826 model number.

Yes, that was my point to @mmq2404. It’s just possible though that Sennheiser did put some of the new models in the old box, but it’s not likely which is why I asked for photos.

However it should be noted that Sennhesier made some minor visual tweaks to the later 508231 models.

What minor visual tweaks are you referring to in the old model. Just the solid background to the S on the grill and lack of the ‘Made in Ireland’ stamp, or something else?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #5,688 of 9,628
Yes, that was my point to @mmq2404.

What minor visual tweaks are you referring to in the old model. Just the solid background to the S on the grill and lack of the ‘Made in Ireland’ stamp, or something else?
Sorry Mike, I really shouldn't be posting on HeadFi into the late hours. I mis-interpreted what you were saying even though you made it clear what the differences were a couple pages ago. :face_palm: thought you were another person asking what the differences were.

Mar 3, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #5,690 of 9,628
E03CF044-89CB-4C94-9508-C2A25A4171AF.jpeg
20A0455C-AD3B-47A3-9D4F-D18D89D63965.jpeg
CB00E42D-DE9B-4697-80AF-5791642924F0.jpeg

Here some pics of mine

Mar 3, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #5,693 of 9,628
With the later "solid" badge.

And speaking of that, I find it odd that Sennheiser shows the see through badge with all or most of the promotional shots of the Romania 2019 model. (Like on Amazon, etc)

81ydKOdA0sL._SL1500_.jpg
They probably got lazy and photoshopped the original release photo with the latest changes. If you overlay the updated picture to the original release version they overlap each other perfectly

Mar 4, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #5,696 of 9,628
Mar 5, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #5,697 of 9,628
Any advice regarding aftermarket cable for 660s?
I'd like to grab a 3.5mm shorter cable to use with my portable amp at work.
I'm also wondering if it could change the original sound to be brighter or darker, I have zero exp about cable tho, been using stock cable overtime :beyersmile:

Mar 5, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #5,698 of 9,628
Any advice regarding aftermarket cable for 660s?
I'd like to grab a 3.5mm shorter cable to use with my portable amp at work.
I'm also wondering if it could change the original sound to be brighter or darker, I have zero exp about cable tho, been using stock cable overtime :beyersmile:
In my XP use only Original cables .https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Replacement-SENNHEISER-Headphones-HD660S/dp/B07K2F51LD I dont know if this Genuine like it says . I bought some cheap cables from Ebay that I didnt like , So I bought an expensive one from Forza audio works that has amazing cable quality but Connectors to ear cups dosnt have that original positive click , also the audioblue 3.5 that is used doesnt positive connect also to all of my sources , (ForzaAudioWorks told me to send it back for repair I have to admit they have great support but I didnt do it )
So yeah if u dont care about the looks of braided cables or anything else , go for the original Sennheiser Cables .

Mar 5, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #5,699 of 9,628
My experience with FAW cable is different and positive.
I have the Copper series which is the cheap one and the connectors fit very securely at the headphone end.
The other end is balanced 2.5mm good quality jack and I also have an adapter from 2.5mm to 3.5mm and the viablue jack is one of the best I have ever used.

Mar 5, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #5,700 of 9,628
In my XP use only Original cables .https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Replacement-SENNHEISER-Headphones-HD660S/dp/B07K2F51LD I dont know if this Genuine like it says . I bought some cheap cables from Ebay that I didnt like , So I bought an expensive one from Forza audio works that has amazing cable quality but Connectors to ear cups dosnt have that original positive click , also the audioblue 3.5 that is used doesnt positive connect also to all of my sources , (ForzaAudioWorks told me to send it back for repair I have to admit they have great support but I didnt do it )
So yeah if u dont care about the looks of braided cables or anything else , go for the original Sennheiser Cables .

Just FYI - I ordered my HD-660s cable shortly after you and also chose the Viablue 3.5mm. It works perfectly for me. So I would encourage you to send yours in and get it replaced. Matt said it must have been a fluke on Viablue's part, the one you got, because I voiced my concern in the ordering process.

Also, for me the earcup connectors went in very well, no issue even if they are a bit bigger than the stock cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back