Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Mar 5, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #5,703 of 9,628
My experience with FAW cable is different and positive.
I have the Copper series which is the cheap one and the connectors fit very securely at the headphone end.
The other end is balanced 2.5mm good quality jack and I also have an adapter from 2.5mm to 3.5mm and the viablue jack is one of the best I have ever used.

I am positive to , I just had to say my XP on this viablue connector and the bigger connectors compared to Original ones .

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #5,704 of 9,628
Just FYI - I ordered my HD-660s cable shortly after you and also chose the Viablue 3.5mm. It works perfectly for me. So I would encourage you to send yours in and get it replaced. Matt said it must have been a fluke on Viablue's part, the one you got, because I voiced my concern in the ordering process.

Also, for me the earcup connectors went it very well, no issue even if they are a bit bigger than the stock cable.

I think everyone agreed that FOW cables are very very good quality , Viablue connectros have very positive reviews , (my 3.5 part had problems staying inside ) About the earcup connectors yeah they are for sure bigger fatter , then again Matt said its not a problem and they have using them for years , so I trust him .
I didnt send the cable back because I use this cable on my desktop set up with a tape and I left it always inside the dac so it doesnt bother me anymore .
I had to admit that Support was amazing from Matt .
About difference in sound , I feel that there is some better separation and warmness in some tracks . but that just me .

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #5,706 of 9,628
My Forza Audioworks Noir MK2 did make the sound slightly warmer and punchier. I A/B-ed a few times and I am convinced of this. It's not a 1%, it's a perfectly audible change. But this is just my experience, my ears.
I also got a difference in sound (not the signature ) it just feels to me that its a distance between some instruments on some tracks . But again I believe most people will pay FOW cable for the build quality , and the truth is that they are light they look and feel premium . If anyone wanted just a shorter cable my advice is to use a normal original cable for 20-30 euros .

For now i have my 660S always connected to my desktop dac and FOW cable on them without moving or change anything to them (they are my precious lol) and just ordered Velour and Sheepskin pads from Drop so I can make some tests to 600 and 6XX .
The only (mod) that I liked was the Visaton made in Germany fabric that I placed (taking off the foam ) inside the earpads .

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #5,707 of 9,628
Maybe a different batch of Viablue plug?
Because mine is top notch indeed.
The headphone connectors are the same size as the original but they are more bulky due to the use of the shrinking material.

The build quality of Viablue connector is like you said top notch and I put a different viablue from a store to my mobile phone and it clicks positive, so I guess yes it was a (bad batch) dont get me wrong I am not saying it doesnt work, it works ok it just my viablue goes out with way less push.

The headphone connectors doesnt look and measured the same as the original (at least my L+R connectors are measured different ) again I am not saying its a problem but they dont click inside like the Original Senns do .
These are some photos up close , Sory but this is the truth , they are fatter and longer
20191122_102436_HDR.jpg
20191122_100446.jpg

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #5,708 of 9,628
Personally I haven't found any After marker cable that has the same measurements like the Originals , ( and same cut on the plastic left and right).
Does all the aftermarket connectors work ok ??? Dont know ,some people on cheap AMAZON cables said that they broke inside connection of the headphone ( I read a lot of these ) .

Mar 6, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #5,712 of 9,628
Are the HD660s have some peaky upper frequencies at around 14KHz or my ears are too sensitive to these frequencies?
This makes the HD660s's sound slightly lean and slightly too much air to me, some bad recording are afftected too.

May be my hearing are too young? (I'm 24 now), My previous ATH R70x used to have this peak too.

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #5,715 of 9,628
I'm a relatively new HD660S owner.

I've spent a short time with my HD660S headphones. My comparison is with the beyerdynamic Amiron Home. Initial thoughts are that the Amiron Homes are clearer, offer a much wider and deeper soundstage, and provide a jaw-dropping sound that I'm not hearing with the HD660S yet. I'm hoping that after a good burn-in period the HD660S will improve a lot as I can already hear them getting better. The Amiron Home feel much classier and better made.

But - and this is key to me - the Amiron Homes weigh far too much. The HD660S headphones are so much lighter and more comfortable to wear, even more so for bedtime listening when laying down. I mainly listen to them using the 4.4mm balanced cable. For practical purposes the HD660S headphones suit me better, especially given that they're a bit easier to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back