Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Mar 15, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #5,761 of 9,628
Compared to the stock velour pads, the regular sheepskin or fenestrated sheepskin pads gives boost to bass and mid-bass. Hence, theres a slight reduction in treble peaks and boost in vocals as well. Both DEKONI sheepskin and fenestrated sheepskin pads tame the treble.

Mar 15, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #5,762 of 9,628
I don’t think that’s what I said at all. This definitely hasn’t been my exp. They don’t give the 660s a treble peak to my ears
Fenestrated and Velur are ta customs now so in 5 daya.max i will try them. I will do it on 600 650 and finally 660 to see how they sound.
I know its all about taste, my taste is exactly how the 660s sound but i am mostly curious about 600 and 650 .

Mar 15, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #5,763 of 9,628
Compared to the stock velour pads, the regular sheepskin or fenestrated sheepskin pads gives boost to bass and mid-bass. Hence, theres a slight reduction in treble peaks and boost in vocals as well. Both DEKONI sheepskin and fenestrated sheepskin pads tame the treble.
So if thats true these pads would be great for 600 ... They will make more warm the 650 something that i guess most people dont want. And the 660 will have even more lower treble ...
Just saw the measurements from Dekoni and from my XP HD600 and 58X look like they are great for these pads .

Mar 18, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #5,765 of 9,628
Are the HD660s have some peaky upper frequencies at around 14KHz or my ears are too sensitive to these frequencies?
This makes the HD660s's sound slightly lean and slightly too much air to me, some bad recording are afftected too.

May be my hearing are too young? (I'm 24 now), My previous ATH R70x used to have this peak too.

After 2 weeks, I'm back here to report that I definitely got a different unit, borrowed a pair of 660s from my colleague and they don't sound peaky at all :shrug:
My 660s sound more like the SonarWork's measurements, the upper frequencies are peaky and slightly grainy :scream::scream::scream:
From my remember, the HD660s I demo-ed at local headphone store are not have this issue so I decided to buy the HD660s....
So sad, there is no return policy for headphones in my country.

Mar 19, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #5,766 of 9,628
I just bought a new pair of 2019 Romania HD660s to compare with my Ireland which I got a few weeks ago. The Ireland ones came from Amazon Warehouse deals in Canada and I got them for $200 Canadian off. They were listed under the grading of "Used - Acceptable". When I got them there was only a little tearing of the outer box, everything else looked new when I opened it. They even smelled new and the cables didn't look like they were unravelled. Honestly, I think Amazon messed up on the price to be that cheap. (Seen other 660s on Warehouse Deals but nowhere near as cheap)

The Romania pair (which I bought of of curiosity) I got for even cheaper from an Amazon UK sale. I wanted to see how the different the styling looks and if the sound was any different. As far as styling, I like both about the same. If I had to choose, I'd probably take the Ireland since they're the original.

I'll do a sound comparison soon and report back.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #5,767 of 9,628
After 2 weeks, I'm back here to report that I definitely got a different unit, borrowed a pair of 660s from my colleague and they don't sound peaky at all :shrug:
My 660s sound more like the SonarWork's measurements, the upper frequencies are peaky and slightly grainy :scream::scream::scream:
From my remember, the HD660s I demo-ed at local headphone store are not have this issue so I decided to buy the HD660s....

Do the pads have the same thickness on both pairs?

Mar 19, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #5,768 of 9,628
Do the pads have the same thickness on both pairs?
I will swap pads and do more thoroughly listen on them later to have final conclusion.
At first without putting them on the ears, my HD660's treble noticeably sound brighter than my colleague's.
Argh this making me want to quit audio hobby and jump back to cheap Chinese earbuds, no more losing sleep because of the sizzy trebles :sob:

Mar 19, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #5,769 of 9,628
I will swap pads and do more thoroughly listen on them later to have final conclusion.
At first without putting them on the ears, my HD660's treble noticeably sound brighter than my colleague's.
Argh this making me want to quit audio hobby and jump back to cheap Chinese earbuds, no more losing sleep because of the sizzy trebles :sob:
Personally i bealive on burn in at this Headphone ... The bass got more and the highs was smoothed over a lot of hours... Maybe its the pads maybe the driver i dont know but they sound like that.

Something tha even today after hours dont understand is the highs on HD650 vs 660S on some tracks 650 feel more bright on others 660s. On gaming for example pubg on 660s evwrything is clearer with foot prints and guns sound more in your face and when i test a person run around me 660s was easier to understand where he is. HD650 was more relaxed not so intense on pubg sounds come left or right and every sound feels like it has the same volume ... Hd650 way more relax for many hours .

Mar 19, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #5,770 of 9,628
Personally i bealive on burn in at this Headphone ... The bass got more and the highs was smoothed over a lot of hours... Maybe its the pads maybe the driver i dont know but they sound like that.

Something tha even today after hours dont understand is the highs on HD650 vs 660S on some tracks 650 feel more bright on others 660s. On gaming for example pubg on 660s evwrything is clearer with foot prints and guns sound more in your face and when i test a person run around me 660s was easier to understand where he is. HD650 was more relaxed not so intense on pubg sounds come left or right and every sound feels like it has the same volume ... Hd650 way more relax for many hours .
I’ve been running my cans for over 100 hours or so, they do improved pretty much I think, but not as I expectes it to be. May be I got the effective ones, who knows :frowning2:(
Btw My HD660s treble do sound significantly brighter than my colleague’s when using the same pads.

Mar 19, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #5,771 of 9,628
I’ve been running my cans for over 100 hours or so, they do improved pretty much I think, but not as I expectes it to be. May be I got the effective ones, who knows :frowning2:(
Btw My HD660s treble do sound significantly brighter than my colleague’s when using the same pads.
Thats realy strange for sennheiser products then again some measurements show more highs. How many hours your colleagues have on his 660s ?
My advice is to leave them play over 300 hours ... U dont have anything to lose .

Mar 19, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #5,772 of 9,628
I just got a pair of hd660s, and I was wondering what's a good amp to drive these with? I've been listening to them with my iphone 8 256GB using apple music and I mean it sounds okay though I wasn't blown as far away as I thought I would have been... um, so I'm thinking an amplifier might fix that though I was wondering if there's one that's better value than the fiio q5s.

Mar 20, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #5,774 of 9,628

your pads aren't broken in yet which is why your 660 probably sounds peaky. try swapping your colleagues used pads onto your 660 and take another listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back