Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Mar 24, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #5,791 of 9,628
Because I thought more space between the ears and driver would make soundstage bigger. But like u said and its true pads do make huge difference , but again why they destroy the sound on HD6 series ? I read on forums that a lot of people use for example Dekonis on DT1990 and fix some spikes on highs, Or HD800 . Did they make such a perfect tuning on HD6 series that is now way to make it better ?

My experience - the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin sounds great on the 660S. I prefer them to stock pads. Maybe the Drop pads are of much lower quality and design than the Dekonis? I found that with the Dekonis I agree with what is said here:

https://dekoniaudio.com/frequency-response-curve-new-dekoni-sennheiser-hd600-pads/

Mar 24, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #5,792 of 9,628
Space between the ears is one parameter.
The others are material and construction but in synergy with the chamber and other materials used for dampening.
All components add up to the final result.
As for the 6 series let's say that it is perfect German engineering.
Of course the same applies to other headphones too.
Fot example Focal headphones aren't happy with pad rolling.

Of course personal preference may determine the final result.
As for Dekoni pads made for Drop are exactly the same quality as every other Dekoni.
At least that was my experience with HD800 Dekoni and Dekoni Drop pads.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #5,793 of 9,628
Pads from Drop Velour arrived and tested... How is this possible for a pad to make such a difference ? Bass its more and over the place it feels uncontrolled not tight ? Also openness and clarity are for vacations... Take them off and now i use them on HD650 just because they are softer with memmory foam and make 650 even more vailed and smooth on bad recordings.
Even soundstage take a hit with that thicker pads , strange ....
Anyways HD660s are with original pads again it was an experiment that i want it to listen for my self.

Ps. After a lot of listening between 650 and 660s on the same dac same songs with the original pads and stock cable i hear something strange... 660s sounded more detailed and bright not veiled like everyone already said, But... On some tracks some high notes was way more harsh and bright on HD650 i didnt expect that i was going back again and again and yeah some notes was for sure harsh and grainy on.HD650 than 660 that was smoother. What was that ?

Smoother is exactly what I'm hearing with the 660's vs 600's. In fact, my 600's are starting to sound a TAD bright now that I'm getting used to the 660's. Bass and soundstage are better with 660's as well. At first I thought maybe it's because I have a high impedance amp (old Yamaha Natural Sound receiver) but reading some of the posts here (particularly the ones from January of this year) others are also saying the 660's have a smoother character over the 600's.

I too wasn't expecting that because many reports say the 660's are on the trebley side.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #5,794 of 9,628
The others are material and construction but in synergy with the chamber and other materials used for dampening.

As for Dekoni pads made for Drop are exactly the same quality as every other Dekoni.

Drop does have other non-Dekoni pads that they sell

https://drop.com/buy/drop-earpads-for-hd6xx-and-hd58x

Mar 24, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #5,795 of 9,628
Smoother is exactly what I'm hearing with the 660's vs 600's. In fact, my 600's are starting to sound a TAD bright now that I'm getting used to the 660's. Bass and soundstage are better with 660's as well. At first I thought maybe it's because I have a high impedance amp (old Yamaha Natural Sound receiver) but reading some of the posts here (particularly the ones from January of this year) others are also saying the 660's have a smoother character over the 600's.

I too wasn't expecting that because many reports say the 660's are on the trebley side.
So i am not crazy good to know thanks for replying

Mar 24, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #5,796 of 9,628

Ok i see understand now.

Mar 24, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #5,797 of 9,628
My experience - the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin sounds great on the 660S. I prefer them to stock pads. Maybe the Drop pads are of much lower quality and design than the Dekonis? I found that with the Dekonis I agree with what is said here:

https://dekoniaudio.com/frequency-response-curve-new-dekoni-sennheiser-hd600-pads/
I have not fenestrated skin to tell my opinion. I bought the velour because they told me that are the closest to original shuet .
Anyways personal taste first of all ... I understand that some people like different eq.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #5,802 of 9,628
My experience though remains the same.
Aftermarket pads do change sound signature.
To the worse or the better is for the individual to decide.
For example I liked better Dekoni hybrids with stock HD800 , didn't care much with HD800S and
I disliked misodiko leather pads.

Mar 24, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #5,803 of 9,628
For me Dekoni Leather Fenestrated has been the way.

Mar 24, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #5,804 of 9,628
Mar 27, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #5,805 of 9,628
A benchmark for all of my Headphones is this (I have the flac file HR if anyone need it) , The only track that has everything on it to test bass, mids,highs, soundstage , separation etch etch . This make me love HD660s can do everything great the full 7 minutes for example HD650 and HD600 cant get the 4:22-5:04 part correct , the imaging is waaaay better on Hd660s , also 1:54 -2:08 is grainy on 650 but not on 660s.
I also test all my other headphones and in some parts was nice and others terrible . I have to admit only HD660 seems to do it ok. Sorry if I am over excited about 660s but this is how they sound to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back