Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Sep 28, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #4,711 of 9,628
@Mike F
I am sorry but can't help on this!
As you have them now to your possession it is more easy to compare and decide.
Maybe you prefer the 650 but you need to have the 660 when you are on the go or traveling and as I understand you travel a lot.
Maybe depending on mood and music you can use both.
I prefer the 660 because a listen only to classical music and I like that extra bite and speed and the better dynamics , it hits harder and the bass is more defined with a little less distortion.
But to be honest with you if I find a good deal on a used HD6xx I will be very tempted to buy it.
God that's difficult because you own and the 600!
I say keep it for the ease of use and have the whole collection!

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #4,713 of 9,628
Since I do not own any Sennheiser headphones at all I was hoping to grab whatever goes on sale for Black Friday in November. The 660s is very new so I doubt it will go on sale so I will be left with either the 600/650 or 6XX. It will be interesting to finally hear what a 6xx series headphone sounds like. I am a Denon fan, hope that does not influence me too much.

Sep 28, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #4,714 of 9,628
Since I do not own any Sennheiser headphones at all I was hoping to grab whatever goes on sale for Black Friday in November. The 660s is very new so I doubt it will go on sale so I will be left with either the 600/650 or 6XX. It will be interesting to finally hear what a 6xx series headphone sounds like. I am a Denon fan, hope that does not influence me too much.
I’d say the denon and hd6- - sound are complete opposites. The denons have exaggerated bass, recessed mids and hot, sizzly highs. The senns have naturally balanced bass and treble with forward mids. It will be interesting. I’d guess the senns would sound boring at first but better over time.

Sep 28, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #4,715 of 9,628
I’ve been having a sneaking suspicion I didn’t give the 660s enough of a chance when I had it last yr, didn’t even burn it in before selling it smh. Anyway I’ve decided to give it another shot. I really have been thinking lately that people may have an emotional attachment to the 600/650/6xx and it’s preventing some openness to a headphone that really gets a lot right. That’s my theory anyway. We’ll see if it’s proven correct, as I’m going to give the 660s a fair shot this time.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #4,721 of 9,628
Can anyone who has this headphone with a Blue Dragon cable comment on the sound improvements, if any?

Sep 28, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #4,722 of 9,628
I’ve been having a sneaking suspension I didn’t give the 660s enough of a chance when I had it last yr, didn’t even burn it in before selling it smh. Anyway I’ve decided to give it another shot. I really have been thinking lately that people may have an emotional attachment to the 600/650/6xx and it’s preventing some openness to a headphone that really gets a lot right. That’s my theory anyway. We’ll see if it’s proven correct, as I’m going to give the 660s a fair shot this time.

Same thing happened with HD600 when HD650 was released. Half of the people loved it and the other half claiming it was worse, HD600 best headphone in the world they say.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #4,723 of 9,628
Here's my take on which headphone would be best for someone finding it hard to choose by assigning them to what genres they do best. (IMO)

660S = Rock, metal, classical, alternative.
650 = Jazz, acoustic.
58X = Electronic, hip-hop, pop.

Sep 28, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #4,724 of 9,628
Here's my take on which headphone would be best for someone finding it hard to choose by assigning them to what genres they do best. (IMO)

660S = Rock, metal, classical, alternative.
650 = Jazz, acoustic.
58X = Electronic, hip-hop, pop.

Agreed. Though I do prefer my 650 for guitar tones personally. They sound more natural. The 660s is the 6 series king of classical due to the speed and detail of its drivers.

Sep 28, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #4,725 of 9,628
Agreed. Though I do prefer my 650 for guitar tones personally. They sound more natural. The 660s is the 6 series king of classical due to the speed and detail of its drivers.

I had to knock rock off the list of the 650 because of my upper mid sensitivity that's a few db lower on 660. Not everyone has this though so rock with be very enjoyable still on the 650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back