Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Sep 27, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #4,681 of 9,628
Well, I’m wondering around the apartment where I’m staying doing various things this morning listening to the HD660S from my iPhone, and I have to say that I’m really enjoying them. Damn - I was going to send them back today! Maybe I’ll just have to accept that to me they’ll be a very expensive HD58X and I’ll keep and enjoy them for what they are. There’s no doubt that they do an excellent job direct from a phone.

Mike, allow me to make your life easier in this one respect. Keep them. If you send them back, you will regret it after about 24 to 48 hours. You will then end up buying them again, likely at a higher price.

If there is one thing I learned in this hobby, it's - don't sell / return when in doubt. Only get rid of what you are at least reasonably sure not to miss.

Sep 27, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #4,682 of 9,628
Mike, allow me to make your life easier in this one respect. Keep them. If you send them back, you will regret it after about 24 to 48 hours. You will then end up buying them again, likely at a higher price.

If there is one thing I learned in this hobby, it's - don't sell / return when in doubt. Only get rid of what you are at least reasonably sure not to miss.

I would 100% echo that sentiment!

Sep 27, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #4,688 of 9,628
Well at least I’m having fun listening to and comparing headphones, even if it is a bit agonising at the moment - especially for you lot! :wink:
Comparing is always fun for me. It's interesting to follow somebody else's process. It takes quite a while to work it out some times.

Sep 27, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #4,689 of 9,628
Well at least I’m having fun listening to and comparing headphones, even if it is a bit agonising at the moment - especially for you lot! :wink:

Buy a WM1Z and enjoy them together to the max! Just my humble suggestion, great combo though:wink:

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #4,690 of 9,628

I have reached Ithaca.
Now I am having fun listening to music!

Seriously now , as a reviewer I spent sometimes whole weeks listening to same pieces of music all over again comparing gear.
So now I would like to start listening to music again!

Sep 27, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #4,691 of 9,628
As @G0rt have stated above maybe you need to listen to every song with both headphones to get full satisfaction :wink:

Absolutely! Overindulgence is key to extracting the most juice from our investments.:L3000:

I usually prefer Beyers for cello, but today listening to Jean-Guihen Queyras' Bach cello suites with HD660S, and hearing microdetails of the performance that I don't recall noticing before. Such fun.:D

Sep 27, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #4,693 of 9,628
A great recording I like his interpretation of the cello suites.
I also suggest to hear them with Paolo Beschi if you haven't already.

I don't still have it, but I have heard it, and it is entirely amazing.

I think the first I ever heard this work was one of Casals' recordings on vinyl, on my uncle's system: Garrard tt, Fisher tube amp, and massive Wharfdales.

I may have been about 10 years old, or younger. Imprinted like a duckling, clearly.

Sep 27, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #4,695 of 9,628

Users who are viewing this thread

Back