Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 31, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #781 of 9,628
The drivers of the HD700 sit at the bottom of some things that resemble tea cups, so the soundstange of the hd660s has to be similar to HD650, not hd700, since they share the same structure.

A fourth person says the HD660s have sparkle in the treble. I'm sure it's nothing like the HD700/800 or Beyers, but I was looking for just a bit more, not for something to pierce my eardrums. I can't wait to try them, but aren't available in Romania yet. From the way things appear to be, it seems like the HD660s will be a point of reference stronger than HD650. The HD660s seem to have tweaked the model into near-perfection with just a bit of sparkle and clarity.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #782 of 9,628
For what it's worth, I sent an email to Sennheiser US customer service asking if the HD650 and/or the HD600 will be discontinued now that the HD660S is released; this is their reply:

Dear Ricardo

In regards to your request, we would like to let you know the following information:

Yes, with the new HD 660's, the HD 650's will be discontinued but, the HD 600's will be safe and still available

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you for your time.

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #784 of 9,628
For what it's worth, I sent an email to Sennheiser US customer service asking if the HD650 and/or the HD600 will be discontinued now that the HD660S is released; this is their reply:

I think the 600 was still selling well, and the 650 not anymore. "History" maybe rewarded the more correct headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #786 of 9,628
I think the 600 was still selling well, and the 650 not anymore. "History" maybe rewarded the more correct headphone.
There is still the HD6XX....

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #787 of 9,628
I gave in to the Nighthawk hype and had them for a while. I loved the comfort and construction of them, but I could not get used to the sound signature. It was just too dark or muffled, with harsh treble at the same time. Kind of weird. All the talk of burn in for 150 hours and the dramatic change was nonsense.

It's been a while since I had the Nighthawk, but the 660s seems much cleaner sounding and has tighter bass. It is an example of the "warm" sound done right. Just that layer of comfort, without sacrificing transparency.

I would need a comparison from someone who actually likes the Nighthawk. I love mine and the way I hear mine is nothing at all like you described. Nothing is muffled or harsh to my ears. I am not looking to replace my Nighthawks. I will keep them forever. I have just been wondering if the HD660s has anything to add to my listening experience. I also have the HD580 and the HD598 so maybe this would be redundant for me. I am just a bit too curious I guess. I do enjoy multiple sound signatures and adapt easily.

The only gripe I have is that the clamp is a little much straight out of the box, but you can fix that through some careful stretching of the headphones.

This does concern me as comfort is extremely important to me and many headphones are not (for me). I cannot stand the feel of an HD650 on my head but I love my HD598 and my HD580..both sound and comfort.. My husbands HD700 is probably the best of the bunch for comfort but he won't give it to me...lol.

I have tried stretching headbands before... usually with limited success unless it is a metal band.

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #788 of 9,628
There's something about the late-model 650's that just sounds soooo right, at least to my ears. After years of experimenting with different headphones (Grado, Audeze, etc.) I've come to really appreciate the sound signature of the 650's. They seem to have just the right blend of, well, everything. They do an excellent job of making digital music sound listenable. I think the new 660s's sound interesting, but I worry about breaking what isn't broken.

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #789 of 9,628
There is still the HD6XX....
That was the begining of the end for the hd650....

One had to go, the hd700 being the only in the 7 series was unlikely to be discontinued só it had to be the hd650 since it is só close to the 660.

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #790 of 9,628
The only gripe I have is that the clamp is a little much straight out of the box, but you can fix that through some careful stretching of the headphones.
This does concern me as comfort is extremely important to me and many headphones are not (for me). I cannot stand the feel of an HD650 on my head
---
I have tried stretching headbands before... usually with limited success unless it is a metal band.
What comfort issue did you have with HD650? Was it clamping force? HD650 does have a metal band, and you can bend it straighter (the part of the exposed band when extended fully) to make the clamping force as light as you want.

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #791 of 9,628
this is the first time i have ever replied or posted any comments i currently own the hd 600 and purchased the hd 650 in mid october and sent theme back in my opinion i love my hd 600 better. I do not consider myself an audiophile by no means but i do love to listen to all kinds of music I know everybody has there own opinion when it comes to headphones. but some how i got sucked into this thread. i always read them but never comment. for what its worth anybody on this thread that lives near dallas , audio concepts has theme in stock all three of theme the 600 650 and hd 660s

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #792 of 9,628
What comfort issue did you have with HD650? Was it clamping force? HD650 does have a metal band, and you can bend it straighter (the part of the exposed band when extended fully) to make the clamping force as light as you want.

Yes, clamping force... good to know it can be lessened. I would take zero clamping force if I could. Too many years of using speakers I guess. The pair of Sennheiser HD 480s that I bought when they first appeared in the 90's were extremely comfortable. I miss them. Maybe I am still chasing that feeling and sound... except now I cannot really remember. They have been gone for 10 years. Sadly at the time I did not know the cables were detachable. I thought they were ruined and I threw them away :frowning2: Sound was cutting out on one side. They were very highly regarded at the time and not nearly as expensive as what would come later.

Oct 31, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #793 of 9,628
I’ve swapped the drivers between the Amiron and DT 1990. It’s not cup resonance that causes it. In fact I found the DT 1990 housing to have slightly more resonance than the Amirons. The drivers on the Amiron seem to have inherently softer and more diffuse bass than the DT 1990 but smoother treble with more extension up top than the DT 1990. The DT 1990 has more present upper mids and tighter punchier bass, it’s punchier sounding in general than the Amiron. So both of the Beyers are more resolving than the HD 660S?

The Amiron on a slightly dark/slightly rolled off system doesn’t even bother me on poor recordings. Which of the three do you like the most?
That's interesting. I sold the DT1990's because I preferred the Amiron's softer treble and coloured midrange, but not I think I might have sold the wrong ones. Yes, both the Amirons and DT1990s are more resolving than the HD 660S. I was hoping that the 660 would be closer to the DT1990 in it's resolution and speed, but it's a long way off. Overall, the DT1990 is my favourite of the three.

I bought a pair of Denon D7200s at about the same time as I got the HD 660S, and I've been enjoying them more as a laid-back headphone, and they also also more resolving than the 660S. I will probably return or sell the 660S, as I'm not enjoying them very much.

Oct 31, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #794 of 9,628
That's interesting. I sold the DT1990's because I preferred the Amiron's softer treble and coloured midrange, but not I think I might have sold the wrong ones. Yes, both the Amirons and DT1990s are more resolving than the HD 660S. I was hoping that the 660 would be closer to the DT1990 in it's resolution and speed, but it's a long way off. Overall, the DT1990 is my favourite of the three.

I bought a pair of Denon D7200s at about the same time as I got the HD 660S, and I've been enjoying them more as a laid-back headphone, and they also also more resolving than the 660S. I will probably return or sell the 660S, as I'm not enjoying them very much.

I sold the DT 1990 myself and kept the Amiron. Honestly don’t regret keeping the Amiron of the two due to sound and comfort but do wish I still had both. I liked the Amiron of the two more after spending many months with both, liked the DT 1990 more the first few months then the Amiron slowly overtook it. Though I do prefer the DT 1990s looks and that build quality is fantastic.

That’s a bit disheartening to hear. So anything in particular you find disappointing about the HD 660S?

Oct 31, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #795 of 9,628
As someone that regretted selling their HD600 I'm looking forward to seeing what the HD660S sounds like. Even though I have the Elear as my main headphone I wouldn't mind getting the HD660S. I hope it has the highs of the HD600 with the bass of the HD650, only better seeing as they say it's a new driver design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back