Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 31, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #766 of 9,628
Hi Pedro, I am loading Only by the Night from Kings of Leon on my DAP right now. Will give them a proper listen tonight. What about R.E.M. or Munford and Sons?

Coldplay - "Parachutes" and "a rush of blood..."

Bloc party -"silent alarm" and "a weekend in the city"

Kings of Leon "mechanical bull" and "come around sundown"

Are all álbuns i listen to frequently. Mumford & sons i like some songs.... I like keane though...

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #767 of 9,628
The 660 is certainly cleaner and more resolving, and with faster bass than the 650, but not on the same level as the Amiron or DT1990 - The Amiron and DT1990 sound quite similar, but it's as if the Amiron has added some colouration from cup resonance.

The Amiron has more treble energy and bass than the 660, however the 660's bass is slightly more defined and musical - The Amiron's bass is slightly diffuse and monotone; the DT1990 is much better in this regard. I don't find the Amiron's treble fatiguing unless listening to poorly mastered tracks. The 660's midrange can sound a little forward and shouty at times, and I find this more bothersome than the Amiron's treble.

I’ve swapped the drivers between the Amiron and DT 1990. It’s not cup resonance that causes it. In fact I found the DT 1990 housing to have slightly more resonance than the Amirons. The drivers on the Amiron seem to have inherently softer and more diffuse bass than the DT 1990 but smoother treble with more extension up top than the DT 1990. The DT 1990 has more present upper mids and tighter punchier bass, it’s punchier sounding in general than the Amiron. So both of the Beyers are more resolving than the HD 660S?

The Amiron on a slightly dark/slightly rolled off system doesn’t even bother me on poor recordings. Which of the three do you like the most?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #768 of 9,628
Yes I too am not a fan of the th-x00 but I know they can be had for stupid cheap used so thought it wouldn’t be bad to suggest. Funny thing is right before I got back on here I remembered they’re semi-open and still wouldn’t fit the bill the way I was suggesting. Anyone have experience with the dt770? They’re on Massdrop right now

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #769 of 9,628
I think peitcux has done a pretty good job of explaining the sound signatures of both the 650 and 660s and the differences in bass. He's written quite a few posts about it.

The TH-X00 is inferior to the 660s in every way, unless you want more isolation as it's essentially semi-open (not truly closed). The ear pads are awkward and I couldn't get a good fit with it. It just sort of flops on your head. Sound is overrated too - the bass is there (not as strong as it is hyped though), but lacks a bit of clarity and detail.

You want a closed headphone with incredible bass and dynamics? The Ultrasone Signature DJ. I auditioned that for a brief time, and it's amazingly open sounding and punchy. You can get it for like $750 now, as it is being discontinued.
He’s definitely spot on. I’ve always worried the ultrasones didn’t have deep enough pads for my liking but I still very much want to try a pair. Also would like to spend a night with the pm3. If it can kick in my face with the tightness of midbass punch the way the pm1 did while being closed back I have a feeling it would be a great contender for EDM/ALL PURPOSE headphone

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #770 of 9,628
I remembered something when I saw R.E.M. Can someone compare R.E.M. - Losing My Religion, at 0:14 on HD650 and HD660s? There-s a distortion in the sound of the recording, a glitch, the sound flickers for a fraction of a second. On HD650 you can barely sense it, but on more analytical headphones it's very apparent. Would be a good way to check how much detail can the HD660s unearth and how forward they bring things in the records.

I cannot hear it on the HD650 , the HD660S and DT1990 show it, the Sony MDR-Z1R(this is a real EDM can I think) a little more. The effect is very short, just before the mandolin starts to play, right?

Oct 31, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #771 of 9,628
It's right when the vocal starts, at the beginning of the "Ooooh", within the first second of the vocals. Depends on the version, on my mp3 is at 0:14, timing differs, but it's always there when the vocals start.
I can pick it on the HD650 easily if I pay attention, but it's not as obvious and harsh as on more analytical headphones.

Here is at 0:15-0:16

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #772 of 9,628
Just got the HD660S in!

Here are some quick pics:
kq4fLdi.jpg
LItNH7A.jpg
g9C1B1j.jpg
8j72qOy.jpg

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #774 of 9,628
I could not have said it better. As a non native English speaker it is sometimes impossible to find the correct words about sound. Well said, really, thanks for helping me out.

Best reply ever! Instead of you helping me....:beyersmile:

Obviously you missed it. I wanted to know how the HD660S sounded to you compared to the HD650 in terms of mid-bass and drum presence. So, do they feel less powerful in those areas and easier to listen to than the HD650? I'm wondering what do you exactly mean by saying "less overpronounced bass".

English isn't my native language as well. Trying for the best. :)

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #775 of 9,628
Best reply ever! Instead of you helping me....:beyersmile:

Obviously you missed it. I wanted to know how the HD660S sounded to you compared to the HD650 in terms of mid-bass and drum presence. So, do they feel less powerful in those areas and easier to listen to than the HD650? I'm wondering what do you exactly mean by saying "less overpronounced bass".

English isn't my native language as well. Trying for the best. :)

:beerchug:
Yes the bass is let's say like you want it, less mid bass wooliness and slightly reduced presence there. A much better bass overall.

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #776 of 9,628
Yes the bass is let's say like you want it, less mid bass wooliness and slightly reduced presence there. A much better bass overall.

Cool thanks.

I used to own an HD202 II which I had bought for 30 Euros and then after extensive online research I decided to purchase the HD650 thinking it would be an upgrade of the same tonal profile that I liked, but...Day vs Night. The latter sounds much more aggressive in comparison.

Hopefully the HD660S provides that extra visceral stuff I'm after.

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #777 of 9,628

Would you be willing to give a verdict on the soundstage at this point? Is it as wide as the 700 or a little more narrow like the 6x0 series?

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #779 of 9,628
Here are some of my initial impressions of the HD660S at around the 2 hour mark of listening to them:

Comfort - The overall comfort in my opinion is great. The pads are firm, but I reckon they will soften up after a little more use. Weight wise these things are pretty much as light as it gets so no worries there. The only gripe I have is that the clamp is a little much straight out of the box, but you can fix that through some careful stretching of the headphones.

Nit Picks - I'm not a big fan of the stock cables, wish it came with a balanced 4 pin xlr instead of the 4.4mm balanced connector. The cables seem as if they are almost an after thought, not the greatest quality and they are bound together tightly with a twist tie so they are all twisted up and messy out of the box. (Again this is me being picky) Lastly, the top layer of foam in my box doesn't fit properly so it won't sit flat.

Treble - This is probably my favorite part of these headphones. All the higher frequency shimmer and ting exactly how I like them to shimmer and ting, the HD660S almost feel like a baby HD800S from my memory in this regard.

Mids - Not really gonna touch this yet...still experimenting...:)

Bass - I am a little bit of a basshead so naturally an open back pair of headphones will often times be a little bass light. So with that being said the HD660S do seem a little bit light on bass quantity. Now as far as bass quality goes these really remind me of the DT1990 Pro. Every single low note I throw at them digs deep and stays detailed as I would expect from a $500 set of headphones, these things dig low!!! As far as punchiness goes I think the HD660S check the mark there too, not overwhelming, but not too little for my taste.

Misc Sound - The background of the tracks feel about as dark as they can get in the HD660S. As far as sound stage goes these have an adequate width too them, nothing like the HD800S, but a healthy amount. Same goes with imaging, the HD660S are pretty much spot on.

I didn't hearing any sort of a veil with these headphones, and this is coming from someone who can easily listen to some rather bright Beyerdynamics, which is fantastic.

If I had to sum the HD660S up in one sentence it would be "The most right headphone for $500."

- Hope this helps!

*Remember these are my impressions, my ears are far from perfect, and my opinions differ from others.*

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #780 of 9,628
Would you be willing to give a verdict on the soundstage at this point? Is it as wide as the 700 or a little more narrow like the 6x0 series?
I had the HD700 too long ago to remember correctly. The sound stage is larger than the HD650 due to the addition of fine detail, but not too much larger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back