Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 31, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #752 of 9,628
I'm interested for the "less overpronounced" bass you mentioned.

Does it produce less "bricky" mid-bass than the HD600/650? The bad thing (to my own ears of course) with these HD6-- series headphones is the overly powerful mid-bass punch as well as the drum strikes which literally kill the visceral, chesty pleasure that I very often look for into my music...
I could not have said it better. As a non native English speaker it is sometimes impossible to find the correct words about sound. Well said, really, thanks for helping me out.

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #753 of 9,628
Oct 31, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #754 of 9,628
Dear Pedro, I hope after all 10,673 questions you end up buying the 660s lol. Just messin with ya Personally I think there are much better headphones for your tastes as all you’ve talked about is EDM.
There are 2 types of people that buy hd6x0 line.
1st are people hearing about how good they are. They buy them, like them because they’re hifi,usually keep because they’re cheap enough to and try different things or sell them to find something different.
2nd type of people are actually people #1 that sold theirs originally and came back to them after owning various other headphones, learning more about what makes a good headphone and realize how good this line is at doing certain things in a natural way like the 600 and it’s instrument reproduction and the 650 for its cozy ness.
Most people who leave this line to find a better EDM headphone don’t come back.
To me, EDM or trance isn’t so much about natural timbre or soundstage. To me the best qualities are COMPLETE isolation, complete darkness of room, completely black background with tons of depth so the little details and microdynamics never manage to be anything more than a dream...never a headphone simply playing music. This isn’t the hd6x0 line imo.

Just working for the well being of the comunity my friend... :D
Dont want anybody to have doubts.... Specially me.... :D

Not that i AM very badly served for edm. I havê the x2 and hd25s wich ate very good for edm and metal and the hd600 for everything else.

I just like my headphones to be as good all rounders as possible for my taste. When using the hd600, despite liking them i always felt the need of a little more warmth without conpromising clatity, detail and resolution. Not for edm but when listening to stuff like kings of Leon i feel the need of of a bit more ooomph, a slightly Fuller and more powerfull sound.

So now i AM just trying to understand (while the 660 is not available for me) if i should go for the hd650 as originally planned or do the extra mile and get the 660s. I know i will like the mids and highs of both. The momentums 1 were rolled off in the highs and i did not havê a problema with that, they still sounded pretty clear to me. What really gets me curious are the diferentes in bass between the hd650 and 660.

Those fostex are that good?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #755 of 9,628
I think peitcux has done a pretty good job of explaining the sound signatures of both the 650 and 660s and the differences in bass. He's written quite a few posts about it.

The TH-X00 is inferior to the 660s in every way, unless you want more isolation as it's essentially semi-open (not truly closed). The ear pads are awkward and I couldn't get a good fit with it. It just sort of flops on your head. Sound is overrated too - the bass is there (not as strong as it is hyped though), but lacks a bit of clarity and detail.

You want a closed headphone with incredible bass and dynamics? The Ultrasone Signature DJ. I auditioned that for a brief time, and it's amazingly open sounding and punchy. You can get it for like $750 now, as it is being discontinued.

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #757 of 9,628
I think peitcux has done a pretty good job of explaining the sound signatures of both the 650 and 660s and the differences in bass. He's written quite a few posts about it.

The TH-X00 is inferior to the 660s in every way, unless you want more isolation as it's essentially semi-open (not truly closed). The ear pads are awkward and I couldn't get a good fit with it. It just sort of flops on your head. Sound is overrated too - the bass is there (not as strong as it is hyped though), but lacks a bit of clarity and detail.

You want a closed headphone with incredible bass and dynamics? The Ultrasone Signature DJ. I auditioned that for a brief time, and it's amazingly open sounding and punchy. You can get it for like $750 now, as it is being discontinued.
I can secand that, had the Signature DJ for more than two years. They are great bass cans, but the cups are a little on the smaller side for over ear, so I sold them because of comfort issues.

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #758 of 9,628
Can anyone pitch in on a comparison to the Audioquest Nighthawk?

I would be interested in a comparison as I have enjoyed my Nighthawk for more than a year.

edit... do enough people actually have these yet?

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #760 of 9,628

Not that i AM very badly served for edm. I havê the x2 and hd25s wich ate very good for edm and metal and the hd600 for everything else.

I just like my headphones to be as good all rounders as possible for my taste. When using the hd600, despite liking them i always felt the need of a little more warmth without conpromising clatity, detail and resolution. Not for edm but when listening to stuff like kings of Leon i feel the need of of a bit more ooomph, a slightly Fuller and more powerfull sound.

So now i AM just trying to understand (while the 660 is not available for me) if i should go for the hd650 as originally planned or do the extra mile and get the 660s. I know i will like the mids and highs of both. The momentums 1 were rolled off in the highs and i did not havê a problema with that, they still sounded pretty clear to me. What really gets me curious are the diferentes in bass between the hd650 and 660.

Hi Pedro, I am loading Only by the Night from Kings of Leon on my DAP right now. Will give them a proper listen tonight. What about R.E.M. or Munford and Sons?

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #762 of 9,628
I gave in to the Nighthawk hype and had them for a while. I loved the comfort and construction of them, but I could not get used to the sound signature. It was just too dark or muffled, with harsh treble at the same time. Kind of weird. All the talk of burn in for 150 hours and the dramatic change was nonsense.

It's been a while since I had the Nighthawk, but the 660s seems much cleaner sounding and has tighter bass. It is an example of the "warm" sound done right. Just that layer of comfort, without sacrificing transparency.

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #763 of 9,628

If the highs of the HD600 bothers you like it did for me I would move on from them. I replaced my HD600 with a custom Ypsilon driver build which has since been changed to a Nhoord Red V2 build, will never go back to the HD600 since both of these have bass that has more punch and clarity, mids that are fairly close to the HD600 but with a slightly better timber to me and highs that are more extended, cleaner and but don't bother me with any peaks like the HD600. And I'd also take the Nhoord Red V2 over the HD650 even if I have a BH Crack to drive the HD600/650 which some consider one of the best amps for pairing with them.

The TH-X00 is a very different headphone from the HD600/HD650 and I'd assume the HD660S also. As @LaCuffia noted the ear pads are the worst part of the TH-X00 and for me was the cause of sound problems. If you are willing to do a few mods the TH-X00 can be made to sound quite good but figure about $100+ for ear pads and the Lawton driver damping mod in addition to the cost of the headphones so you are looking at around the same price as the HD660S. While I haven't heard a TH-X00 with the Lawton driver damping I've heard a TH-900 with the driver damping mod and its a transformed headphone, the V-shaped stock sound is changed to something that is better balanced from highs to lows but still a lot of fun.

I also had the X2 for a few weeks but sent them back since the bass was a bit muddy and they were too close to the X1 that I also had at the time but have since sold off.

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #764 of 9,628
I just bought a pair of these off of a fellow head-fi member.
I'll post impressions in the near future.

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #765 of 9,628
What about R.E.M. or Munford and Sons?

I remembered something when I saw R.E.M. Can someone compare R.E.M. - Losing My Religion, at 0:14 on HD650 and HD660s? There-s a distortion in the sound of the recording, a glitch, the sound flickers for a fraction of a second. On HD650 you can barely sense it, but on more analytical headphones it's very apparent. Would be a good way to check how much detail can the HD660s unearth and how forward they bring things in the records.

Well, to be honest, the HD650, while keeping some of the details a bit under the radar (never completely though) makes a lot of records a lot more listenable, especially those with bad mixing/(re)mastering. There are a lot of bad and unwanted things in a lot of recordings. Also, I don't seem to miss some of the important and relevant details with the HD650, maybe just a little less edge compared to other sets.

Also, in Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven, just before the solo, at 5:35 -5:50, there's some distorted buzzing in the high-midrange and highs at the same time with percussion. HD650 also pick these sounds a lot weakly than other headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back