Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 30, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #721 of 9,618
The HD600/650 don't sound veiled, they don't have the most detailed sound reproduction. The HD660S is just more detailed. If you don't need that, keep the old guys, if you want the details back, go grab the HD660S. It is that easy. Then lower the clamping force to your liking and you have one of the most comfortable cans that I can imagine on your head. They get better by the hour after your purchase then. Had them on for 5 hours straight today, no fatigue at all.
I think you're missing my point! The 660s make my 600s sound veiled in comparison.

I love them! I am keeping both and my wife and I listen to headphones together rather than through the loudspeakers at times.

Oct 30, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #722 of 9,618
Let me tell you the improvement is so big, we all would pay much more than 500 usd to get this, if it wasn't just another Sennheiser HD6... To my ears it is the best bargain in real high end headphones since very long.
Real high end headphones? Improvement so big? Over what? Most comments this far seem to indicate it's a slight variation on a 600/650.

I think we need a few more folks to chime in here.

Oct 30, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #723 of 9,618
I think you're missing my point! The 660s make my 600s sound veiled in comparison.

I love them! I am keeping both and my wife and I listen to headphones together rather than through the loudspeakers at times.

My wife and I listen to headphones (simultaneously) as well via the LP G109S amp. The only problem is that my HD650's are 300 ohm and my HE500's are 50 ohm (planar) which makes the volumes unequal. In a few weeks we will be receiving our Massdrop HD6XX. Then both headphones should be perfectly volume matched.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #724 of 9,618
Mines shipped but showing 6th November from Germany to UK. Would hope it's quicker via UPS.

Oct 30, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #725 of 9,618
I tend to agree with your statement. I see you have a pair of Amirons, I do too. I think the Amiron has better bass, more treble (it does have a treble spike) without it being harsh. It seems to have better clarity, I would still give the hd650 the advantage with the midrange. Would you mind a quick statement on the Amiron vs HD660 ? Thanks

The 660 is certainly cleaner and more resolving, and with faster bass than the 650, but not on the same level as the Amiron or DT1990 - The Amiron and DT1990 sound quite similar, but it's as if the Amiron has added some colouration from cup resonance.

The Amiron has more treble energy and bass than the 660, however the 660's bass is slightly more defined and musical - The Amiron's bass is slightly diffuse and monotone; the DT1990 is much better in this regard. I don't find the Amiron's treble fatiguing unless listening to poorly mastered tracks. The 660's midrange can sound a little forward and shouty at times, and I find this more bothersome than the Amiron's treble.

Oct 30, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #726 of 9,618
The 660 is certainly cleaner and more resolving, and with faster bass than the 650, but not on the same level as the Amiron or DT1990 - The Amiron and DT1990 sound quite similar, but it's as if the Amiron has added some colouration from cup resonance.

The Amiron has more treble energy and bass than the 660, however the 660's bass is slightly more defined and musical - The Amiron's bass is slightly diffuse and monotone; the DT1990 is much better in this regard. I don't find the Amiron's treble fatiguing unless listening to poorly mastered tracks. The 660's midrange can sound a little forward and shouty at times, and I find this more bothersome than the Amiron's treble.
You had the hd700 right? Given that at this moment they both cost basically the same, wich represents a better value and a better investment, 660s or hd700?

Cheers

Oct 30, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #727 of 9,618
I'm a couple hours in on 660s. Currenlty using a Questyle amp/dac that's fairly neutral. I also own the 650's. It's a more dynamic 600 series headphone. They maintain that 600s series signature sound with better bass and detail. I must admit I was initially disappointed with the cheap plastic build. I should have expected this based on the 650s materials. Sennheiser could have done a little better for a $500 headphone. Sound wise they are a top tier performer at $500. The sound stage seems to be the same as the 650s. Vocals are excellent with a little more extension and clarity. The bass is much tighter than the 650s. No veil at all! I would be interested to try them with different amp/dac set ups. Honestly I don't believe this will replace this 650s. They are just different enough. Just a slightly different flavor. Interested to see if things change a little after 100 hours.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #728 of 9,618
I'm a couple hours in on 660s. I also own the 650. It's a more dynamic 600 series headphone. They maintain that 600s series signature sound with better bass and detail. I must admit I was initially disappointed with the cheap plastic build. I should have expected this based on the 650s materials. Sennheiser could have done a little better for a $500 headphone. Sound wise they are a top performer at $500. The sound stage seems to be the same as the 650s. Vocals are excellent with a little more extension and clarity. The bass is much tighter than the 650s. No veil at all! I would be interested to try them with different amp/dac set ups.
Bass quantity vs the hd650? Wich hits harder and goes deeper? Wich is better for beat centric genres?

Oct 30, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #733 of 9,618

Thanks, this is good information. The DT-1990's are my mid-level headphone standard as to what can be achieved in this price range. I was hoping the HD660's sound signature would be somewhat similar but based your brief review it doesn't sound like they do. It's still early and as more reviews start coming in it'll help me to decide if the HD660's sound fits what I'm looking for.

Oct 30, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #734 of 9,618
Not as good as the Oppo pm1 or Grado GH2 but improved.
Not as good as the Oppo pm1 or Grado GH2 but improved.

Like other do you believe that rhe hd6060s is a big improvement when it comes to clarity, resolution and overall sound quality over the older 6xx brothers?

You say you dont believe the hd650 will be discontinued because they are different enough.... would you say the 660 is closer in sound signature to the hd600? What do you think it differes from the hd660 to the 650? To wich type of listener do you think each appeals more?

Thank you :)

Oct 30, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #735 of 9,618
Sounds pretty accurate to me.

For the HD650 owners/lovers, the improvement is quite large. The 660S isn't quite as laid back as the 650 though.

I preferred the HD600 because I didn't like the added warmth of the 650. While I believe the 660S sounded very good, and technically speaking it may be a substantial margin better, I still prefer the HD600 sound signature because of the more neutral lower midrange.
So would you say they are a upgrade over the 650 but not so much over the hd600? Wich is the bassier of the 3 in your opinion and wich do you think will gain more following on the next years as the best all rounder of the hd6xx line?

Black friday is around the corner and lets face it, despite being better.... lets imagine a 250 euro pops up on amazon for the hd650.... why should i spend 200 or 250 euros over the hd600/650? Is the difference that great or not enough to justify x2 the price of a hd600 (currently european pricing, the hd660-499 euros, hd700-470 euros, hd650-320 euros, hd600 280-euros...)?

Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back