Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 30, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #706 of 9,585
You can purchase from Sennheiser website.
Only if a Sennheiser site exists for your country. If not, you have to wait mid-november for availability on third-party shops (physical or online).

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #708 of 9,585
Does this seem like a fair summary to date:

If you have 650's and really like them you will most likely prefer 660's.

If you have 600's and really like them you might prefer the 660's. On the other hand you might not.

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #709 of 9,585
There is a sennheiser online store for new Zealand?!?!? Even the sheep will get to wear them before they reach Portugal.... :frowning2:

Literally... Meeeeeeeeeeeeh (in portuguese sheep make meeeeh not baaaaah) ... :D

Who makes meets there?!? Shawn the sheep and the all blacks?!?! Its Ludacris!!!

JK of course.... Love the naked & famous by the way... Also Taika Waititi made a great job on Thor Ragnarok.... Korg is awesome.... :D

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #710 of 9,585
To me, it sounded a lot like the bass and lower midrange of the HD650 with the upper midrange and treble of the HD600; strictly in terms of quantity.
Somebody else said the HD600 had more treble and upper midrange than HD660s. And another 2 people had the same opinion as you. And the grapsh show the same highs as HD650... I'm still confused.

Me, personally, I would like more upper midrange and highs, same as in HD600, but the grapsh show the opposite and some people too. But some people, like you, still give me hope.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #711 of 9,585
Graphs would not tell you how something would sound to a person, obviously. So many other factors at play. You need to hear for yourself. I don't usually quibble with minutiae anyway - upper mid-range, lower treble, etc. It's a little uncomfortably OCD for me, but that's par for the course on Head Fi. The 660S just sounds right - nothing out of place. As I said before, I don't think you can find a better balanced headphone for $500.

Oct 30, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #712 of 9,585
Let me tell you the improvement is so big, we all would pay much more than 500 usd to get this, if it wasn't just another Sennheiser HD6... To my ears it is the best bargain in real high end headphones since very long.
I'm not denying there's a big improvement, because there is. I just disagree that the improvement is as big as you are saying. It still sounds like a HD6xx series headphone.
I definitely would like more time with it in a quieter environment. Maybe I'd think the improvement was more substantial if that was the case. Who knows?

I personally believe the MrSpeakers Aeon Closed is one of the best bargains in sub-$1000 headphones. Disregarding isolation, I'd say it's a better deal. Then again, I'm probably a little biased since I completely adore the Aeon Closed. My guess is you may also be a little biased since you love the 660S. Obviously, there's nothing wrong with that.

I remember reading your posts about the 660S and getting super pumped about them, only to be a little let down when I actually heard them, I believe what you're saying is true, albeit a little exaggerated.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #713 of 9,585

If you have 600's and really like them you might prefer the 660's. On the other hand you might not.

Your assessment sounds spot on.

I'll stick with my 600 for now (or the next couple of decades)
Smooth but no veil/ roll off, nothing exaggerated, nothing missing. Pretty perfect at least in tone,

Oct 30, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #714 of 9,585

Your assessment sounds spot on.

I'll stick with my 600 for now (or the next couple of decades)
Smooth but no veil/ roll off, nothing exaggerated, nothing missing. Pretty perfect at least in tone,
Sounds pretty accurate to me.

For the HD650 owners/lovers, the improvement is quite large. The 660S isn't quite as laid back as the 650 though.

I preferred the HD600 because I didn't like the added warmth of the 650. While I believe the 660S sounded very good, and technically speaking it may be a substantial margin better, I still prefer the HD600 sound signature because of the more neutral lower midrange.

Oct 30, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #715 of 9,585
So the HD660s are rolled off and veiled then compared to the HD600? Some say yes, some say no... I guess I'll see when I try them... Well, even if they aren't as bright as HD600, ar least a bit brighter than HD650 and it's still an improvement.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #716 of 9,585
So the HD660s are rolled off and veiled then compared to the HD600? Some say yes, some say no... I guess I'll see when I try them... Well, even if they aren't as bright as HD600, ar least a bit brighter than HD650 and it's still an improvement.
Listening to both the other day I can tell you categorically that my 600 sound veiled compared to my 660s.

We sometimes listen to music with headphones rather than speakers so I wanted something that sounded close to my HD600s.

They definitely do sound very similar and my HD600s are 14 years old, maybe more so that could be my pair being tired!

Oct 30, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #717 of 9,585
Listening to both the other day I can tell you categorically that my 600 sound veiled compared to my 660s.

We sometimes listen to music with headphones rather than speakers so I wanted something that sounded close to my HD600s.

They definitely do sound very similar and my HD600s are 14 years old, maybe more so that could be my pair being tired!
The HD600/650 don't sound veiled, they don't have the most detailed sound reproduction. The HD660S is just more detailed. If you don't need that, keep the old guys, if you want the details back, go grab the HD660S. It is that easy. Then lower the clamping force to your liking and you have one of the most comfortable cans that I can imagine on your head. They get better by the hour after your purchase then. Had them on for 5 hours straight today, no fatigue at all.

Oct 30, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #720 of 9,585
Seeing you have both the HD660s and DT1990, mind to do are short comparison?
I would like to read this comparison as well. I have the DT1990’s and they hit all the right buttons in $500-$800 dollar price range to my ears. If the HD660’s are moving from the typical smooth Sennheiser sound signature to more dynamic one I think that would be plus to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back