Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Nov 1, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #811 of 9,628
Can someone explain what does Sennheiser mean by “crisp bass”? Isn’t “crisp” a term to describe the treble?

I’ve heard of deep, or tight bass, but not crisp.

This is a quote of the HD660S description on the official Sennheiser (US) website:

“...With a crisp bass, excellent mid-frequency response, and a gentle, pleasantly natural treble..:”
The German website uses "knackig", which I would translate as "tight" in this context. There's also "Knäckebrot", which is pretty crisp bread. :)

Nov 1, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #812 of 9,628
Most people have problems with metal on darker headphones, very few are bothered by the not so deep bass. Well, except when you stumble upon a heavy metal 80's super-sibilant album and then you need a HD650 and a cloth over the drivers too.

Well when it comes to metal albums from the 80s i listen to as many masterings as i can find and then buy the most balanced sounding one on CD

The first few slayer albums are quite bassy but they have excellent dynamic range and not compressed like todays reissues.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #815 of 9,628
Nov 2, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #816 of 9,628
So my HD 660 s have arrived... testing has begun. So far with DSD native (balanced) the volume is a bit low... this was expected. Sound? Got to give it some more time. Not sure I’m loving it yet, but not hating it either. Got at least a couple more hours to become friends...

My HD660S arrived today and straight out the box they are the lightest, most comfortable and best sounding headphones I've tried. I'm not normally into headphones, preferring IEM's but considering no burn-in time, these sound better than the ATH- M50, the B&W P7W I had, and I also tried the HD800 but found that not to my taste. I still think my SE846's sound better but then I suppose they should at double the price new. I actually think I will be keeping these.

The Dragonfly Red can drive them easily but nearly at max with the ZX300 even at High Gain on Balanced.

Really clear mids. without any veil and perfect base to my ears. No issues with highs either. Just sound great really already. Currently listening to Tidal MQA Maters from PC via my Dragonfly Red and sounds great. Build quality and materials OK but not up to B&W standard. Money obviously all goes into the SQ.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #817 of 9,628
Can someone explain what does Sennheiser mean by “crisp bass”? Isn’t “crisp” a term to describe the treble?

I’ve heard of deep, or tight bass, but not crisp.

This is a quote of the HD660S description on the official Sennheiser (US) website:

“...With a crisp bass, excellent mid-frequency response, and a gentle, pleasantly natural treble..:”

As a person from UK I'd take that comment to mean precise, defined, no softness/mushiness.

Nov 2, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #819 of 9,628
My HD660S arrived today and straight out the box they are the lightest, most comfortable and best sounding headphones I've tried. I'm not normally into headphones, preferring IEM's but considering no burn-in time, these sound better than the ATH- M50, the B&W P7W I had, and I also tried the HD800 but found that not to my taste. I still think my SE846's sound better but then I suppose they should at double the price new. I actually think I will be keeping these.

The Dragonfly Red can drive them easily but nearly at max with the ZX300 even at High Gain on Balanced.

Really clear mids. without any veil and perfect base to my ears. No issues with highs either. Just sound great really already. Currently listening to Tidal MQA Maters from PC via my Dragonfly Red and sounds great.

Does your ZX300 have the EU volume cap? Because my uncapped WM1A can easily drive them @ volume 80 of 120 high gain balanced.

Nov 2, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #820 of 9,628
Europe has become some kind of gulag, they would like to dictate everything in your life. The volume limiter is stupid too, because you can have some insanely sensitive headphone that blow your ears off or some insensitive ones that you can barely hear at the same volume position.

Nov 2, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #821 of 9,628
Does your ZX300 have the EU volume cap? Because my uncapped WM1A can easily drive them @ volume 80 of 120 high gain balanced.

Yes, I uncapped it. It can just handle them but needs to be near max, especially for DSD's. Maybe the WM1A has higher output than ZX300 ? Another owner on the ZX300 also said volume near max with DSD's.

Amazingly, my S8+ can drive it at two steps below Max and iPhone 5S at one step below max, though not with the authority the DFR has.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #822 of 9,628
tip: while discuss the HD600/650, you have to tell people which version your 600/650 are, yes, they have different versions. latest hd600 sound morelike the hd650

I may well be wrong but I thought that it was the newer HD650 that sounded closer to the HD600. Unaware that the sound of the HD600 has changed over the years.?!?!

Nov 2, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #824 of 9,628
When I started this hobby, back in 2004, the hd650 had just came out. My 2 options where the the hd600 and hd650. At the moment, my obvious choice was the hd650. Newer = better. I loved these headphones’ sound. However, after a few years, I started seeing comments about some people liking the hd600 more than the hd650. I was very curious and I ordered the hd600. To my surprise, the hd600 sounded better to my ears.

The hd660s is perhaps better than the hd650, but I am really interested in knowing how Is the hd660s vs hd600.

I hope someone has compared them them side by side already.

Nov 2, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #825 of 9,628
The discussion about which is better will fill a thread with 20.000 or more replies without result....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back