Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 28, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #691 of 9,626
Which is what they would sound like to someone who blew their ears out listening to death metal at full volume perhaps?
Wouldn't know sorry never listened to it

Oct 28, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #692 of 9,626
So what happened?

Oct 28, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #693 of 9,626
The HD 800 and T1(talking about the gen 2 here) was only on the right system, but otherwise not really. The Hawks fatigued me regardless of system. The DT 770/880/990, etc. and even the DT 150 fatigued me slightly, they had an issue in the 10khz region that irritated me over time, took the DT 150 longest to bother me of the bunch. The Hawks create some sort of weird pressure to my ears and my ears get this almost clogging up effect with them, the weird pressure I got from the Hawks was the main source of fatigue for me. The longer I owned the Hawks the more they irritated me. The three least fatiguing headphones I've owned to my ears have been the Amiron Home, the HD 650, and the DT 480. Many of the headphones I listed I don't own but I spent many hours listening to courtesy of a friend. This really shows not everyone is fatigued by the same thing. I used to think treble spikes were the culprit of fatigue for me, but I realized it's more complicated than that as some headphones with spikes even in areas I thought I was sensitive in don't bother me at all.

When it comes to those crazy upper-registers, I suppose we all have different sensitivities and vulnerabilities. I used to absolutely love the Hifiman He400, but the 10k treble spike not only caused my tinnitus but also, in time, a mysterious earache that lingered for many months.

Oct 28, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #694 of 9,626
When it comes to those crazy upper-registers, I suppose we all have different sensitivities and vulnerabilities. I used to absolutely love the Hifiman He400, but the 10k treble spike not only caused my tinnitus but also, in time, a mysterious earache that lingered for many months.

Yes we do. It's not always obvious, it could also be more of a sound texture or sound fidelity thing than the the actual tuning causing the fatigue or simply bad system pairings. I understand that. Never gotten tinnitus thankfully but definitely have gotten earaches and uncomfortableness from certain headphones. I loved the Hawks comfort and fit, but the listening fatigue slowly killed it to me, never really found it muffled or anything like that though. One reason I'm excited about the HD 660S is because there is a very high chance it causes me no fatigue based on past experience with higher-end Sennheisers and the tuning it has. I was honestly was wary of Tesla Beyers at first, was so worried they would fatigue me due to all the complaints about the treble, but it turned out I adored their treble response and it didn't bother me at all. Being gifted the DT 1770(first Tesla I owned) after owning the Nightawks for so long was like a dream to my ears, all the fatigue and irritation dissipated basically instantly, my ears finally relaxed.

Oct 28, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #696 of 9,626
Hey malfunkt!!! :)

I will always have a pair of hd25s with me. I sold them once and regreted ever since. In fact right now i have 2 basic edition hd25s. Got one pair last year and 3 months ago they popped up for a few hours on spanish amazon for 90 euros and i could not resist to buy a backup pair. Yep its stupid but that is how much i love them.

True that they Far feom soniccaly perfect, they are not the most confortable and drivers like the ones on the momentums already beat them easily but their mix of sound quality, the unique sound sig, build and durability (with the momentums i feel like i have to protect them from scratches while the hd25 can take a beating and will always look new) is impossible to beat. Its one of the few headphones wich lets me lay my head on a pillow without loosing fit or seal and they can be used anywhere and olugged to anything. I have other headphones of course, i have the x2 and the hd600 right now (and i just sold my 2 over ear momentums), but i always end up going back to them.

The x2 actually is maybe the closest i heard so far to a hd25 (ladies and gentleman who want a similar sig to the hd25s and m50x on a easy to drive open back.... this is your ticket.... at least IMO) on a open back but still i think that no one makes highs and mids like sennheiser. I prefere the sound sig of the x2 to the hd600. The hd600s feel flat when compared but it is easilly noticeable that the hd600 is a higher resolution headphone, detail is much more perceivable and there is a airiness and refinement that just cant be matched by the x2. So basically i want the hd600 mids and highs but i would like them to sound a bit fuller overall, a bit more authority on the bass, more musical.... the punch on the hd600 is not bad but a tad more also wouldnt hurt.

So basically now i am trying to decide if i should go 650, 660 or 700.... :)

Edit: the hd600 surprises me at times even with edm despite being a fairly flat headphones...

Yesterday i discovered a very deep, sweet piano drum n bass track from keeno called futurism.... sure it is much easier to headbang ro the drums on the x2s while on the hd600 it feels meh, but the way the piano is presented on the hd600.... damn.... feels really euphonic and blissfull....

Drum and bass and blissfull trance lovers.... i think it will appeal to some.....

I like my Beyerdynamic DT1350 like you like your HD25.

Oct 30, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #698 of 9,626
I'm really keen to hear back reviews from these headphones. I have both the HD650 and HE 400i and the HE 400i beat the HD 650. What is most noticeable is the HE400i are more airy and I feel the soundstage is so much wider and every instrument can be delicilately heard while the HD650 felt more like a closed headphone compared to the HE400i. I keen to hear if there is a difference with the HD660

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #702 of 9,626
We are all waiting for your review. I am still enjoying mine. To me they are still a milestone.

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #704 of 9,626
I had a chance to hear Jude's pair at a local meet on Saturday. I only listened for a few minutes since there was so much to listen to. The room was fairly noisy just from how many people were there

To me, it sounded a lot like the bass and lower midrange of the HD650 with the upper midrange and treble of the HD600; strictly in terms of quantity.
Resolution and instrument separation seemed like major improvements. I listen to a lot of rock and metalcore and the HD660S was better than my HD600 when it came to busy sections of songs. Where the 600 sometimes sounded a little congested, the 660S remained clear, not letting anything jumble together.

The pads are indeed a slightly different shape and a little deeper; a big improvement IMO. Keep in mind this is comparing my 100+ hour HD600 vs Jude's relatively new HD660S. The pads on my HD600 are a little squashed.
The clamp felt about the same as the rest of the HD6xx lineup in that I didn't notice it being super loose or tight. It could be a little different.

I really liked them but I won't sell my HD600 that I love so much, for them. If anything, I'll wait for a good price on the used market before buying.
IMO, if you already have and enjoy the HD600/HD650/HD6XX, then don't upgrade; at least not right away. $500 (USD) + shipping + tax is a lot. If you have heard the HD600/HD650 and enjoy it, but don't already own any of the HD6xx lineup, then I'd suggest just going straight to the HD660S.

I really like the look. The Sennheiser logo on the back of the cups looks really nice and gives the 660S a more modern look.

IMO, these would be better placed at $400 which is probably where they'll end up in a year.

Sorry I can't remember any more details. There was just so much gear to listen to.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #705 of 9,626
I had a chance to hear Jude's pair at a local meet on Saturday. I only listened for a few minutes since there was so much to listen to. The room was fairly noisy just from how many people were there

To me, it sounded a lot like the bass and lower midrange of the HD650 with the upper midrange and treble of the HD600; strictly in terms of quantity.
Resolution and instrument separation seemed like major improvements. I listen to a lot of rock and metalcore and the HD660S was better than my HD600 when it came to busy sections of songs. Where the 600 sometimes sounded a little congested, the 660S remained clear, not letting anything jumble together.

The pads are indeed a slightly different shape and a little deeper; a big improvement IMO. Keep in mind this is comparing my 100+ hour HD600 vs Jude's relatively new HD660S. The pads on my HD600 are a little squashed.
The clamp felt about the same as the rest of the HD6xx lineup in that I didn't notice it being super loose or tight. It could be a little different.

I really liked them but I won't sell my HD600 that I love so much, for them. If anything, I'll wait for a good price on the used market before buying.
IMO, if you already have and enjoy the HD600/HD650/HD6XX, then don't upgrade; at least not right away. $500 (USD) + shipping + tax is a lot. If you have heard the HD600/HD650 and enjoy it, but don't already own any of the HD6xx lineup, then I'd suggest just going straight to the HD660S.

I really like the look. The Sennheiser logo on the back of the cups looks really nice and gives the 660S a more modern look.

Sorry I can't remember any more details. There was just so much gear to listen to.
Let me tell you the improvement is so big, we all would pay much more than 500 usd to get this, if it wasn't just another Sennheiser HD6... To my ears it is the best bargain in real high end headphones since very long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back