Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 28, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #676 of 9,626
Boy oh boy, I'm sure eager to get my hands on the HD660S. I'm a big fan of the Sennheiser house-sound and still own a good number of Sennheiser headphones, including the HD800, HD700, and HD650, to name just a few. Lately, however, I've been using the Audioquest Nighthawk quite a bit, mostly because I love the NIghthawk's sumptuously dark and non-fatiguing sound-signature, though the bass could be a bit tighter and the upper-midrange could use a bit of a boost. It sounds like the HD660S improves upon these two points, but I wonder: Is the HD660s as silky smooth and non-fatiguing as its predecessor? As the Nighthawk? Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks, Y'all.

Oct 28, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #677 of 9,626
Boy oh boy, I'm sure eager to get my hands on the HD660S. I'm a big fan of the Sennheiser house-sound and still own a good number of Sennheiser headphones, including the HD800, HD700, and HD650, to name just a few. Lately, however, I've been using the Audioquest Nighthawk quite a bit, mostly because I love the NIghthawk's sumptuously dark and non-fatiguing sound-signature, though the bass could be a bit tighter and the upper-midrange could use a bit of a boost. It sounds like the HD660S improves upon these two points, but I wonder: Is the HD660s as silky smooth and non-fatiguing as its predecessor? As the Nighthawk? Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks, Y'all.

From what I recall about the 650, the 660s is more controlled and clearer. No haze but still very smooth. The Nighthawk is not in the same league sound wise but I understand it has a following and I can’t complain about the build and comfort. Those aspects are great. The 660s is just technically superior though. It’s strange but the Nighthawk was fatiguing for me. Sort of muffled with some unnatural peaks here and there.

Oct 28, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #678 of 9,626
From what I recall about the 650, the 660s is more controlled and clearer. No haze but still very smooth. The Nighthawk is not in the same league sound wise but I understand it has a following and I can’t complain about the build and comfort. Those aspects are great. The 660s is just technically superior though. It’s strange but the Nighthawk was fatiguing for me. Sort of muffled with some unnatural peaks here and there.
The Nightowl wipes out the 650 so it probably does so with the 660S as well.

Oct 28, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #680 of 9,626

The Nighthawk also caused me fatigue, it was like the treble all peaked in this uncomfortable harsh spike that reared it’s ugly head at times and the lower regions also caused me fatigue. Any of the Senns HD 6xx when well driven didn’t cause me an fatigue. The HD 800S doesn’t fatigue me nor does a well driven HD 800 or T1. The Tesla 2.0 Beyers(DT 1770/1990 and Amiron) also don’t bother me. The Elear or Utopia didn’t bother me. The Sony Z1R didn’t. None of the STAX headphones I heard. The Fostex TH610 didn’t. Yet somehow the Hawks fatigued me.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #681 of 9,626
Hey Pedro, still rocking the HD25s, don't blame you, it will be difficult to get something with their kind of slam, in large part due tot he HD25's high SPL, closed cup design, and tuning. The can is legendary, and only held back the technical department a bit by a pretty standard driver.

As far as slam goes, I can only really talk about the HD650, which given its modest low-range frequency hump, is quite tactile with electronic music. Like the HD25, the HD650 does something with music that is hard to compete with - all the parts come together so well. It the frequency balance of the HD650 that allows you to turn it up a bit, and get a more visceral experience.

Now the low-end never hits the depths of the LCD2,and speaking of which, if I want real tactile slam the LCD2 outclasses the HD650 (no matter what the magic amp / cables/ etc) as its planar design extends low, with clarity, and lack of distortion. But the LCD2, isn't really a bassheads can, because it doesn't have that v-shape tuning, and even with EQ, it never has that bloom that a dynamic driver can give you which can be enjoyable.

I'd say both HD650 and LCD2 are on par though, for various reasons, even for listening to electronic music. Bass is only one aspect, and its arguable that the HD650 handles linear top-end frequency a bit smoother while being a more comfy.

The HD660S may not be a massive improvement, and does come with a price tag, but I will say that 150ohm power rating (like the HD700) really goes a way to helping these headphones become a lot more manageable from say an iPhone or portable. After recabling the HD700, they have a perfect balance between getting enjoyment out of a desktop amp/dac or just on the go.

HD700 - yes, technically the bass on the 700 is tighter than the 650. I feel it quite well-balanced, and in some sense it is like the HD25, as that bass actually isn't overly pronounced. I feel the HD650 and LCD2 will bring more 'weight' to electronic music, but the HD700 will soar with more experimental, acoustic-orientated electronic music, or very technical productions even psy-trance, IDM, etc. It's just another flavor really, but for the most part I'm going to reach for my LCD2 or even more so my Denon AH-D2000 / MDR-7520.

Which brings me to closed-cans in a way that @DoctaCosmos discussed earlier (welcome back by the way!). A closed-can is going to bring a different level of engagement and 'slam' than opens do. The MDR-7520 out of all my cans is the one that can punch, not the lowest, but is intentionally designed to analyze music, including the low-end. Not too far off the design of the HD25, the 7520, also a professional headphone, is more spacious in size and sound. The dynamic driver in the 7520 is one of Sony's better designs and extends low/high. It's more of a HD25 replacement (though it is expensive) - but I'll tell you I still miss the HD25 (gave it to my brother)/

The Denon AH-D2000, however can be the most enjoyable with electronic music out of all of them. Unlike later design revisions of the Foster bio-cellulose driver, the D2000 is tuned flat with a bit of v-shape going on. Bass is delicious without being overpowered. One thing I've found out, is that the pads make a massive difference with these cans. I now have two D2000s, one has some older pads that are supple and with less width. They are the most comfortable and somehow the sound is just a step up compared to the other one, whose pads are stiffer and thicker. I imagine the sound of the newer one will change as it breaks in, just something to be aware of. This impacts most headphones even the HD650 series. The HD25/7520 don't have to worry about this as much due to their design (as long as you get a good seal and aren't using foam pads).

Not sure how much an improvement the 660S will be over the 650/600/580. If slams was a prime consideration it would be tough choice between this and the new LCD2C (a revision of the classic) at its $599 price point but I'd probably go with the latter.

The HD25s are very special little headphones. In my opinion the best all round headphone in the world. EVER!!!!

Quite a statement l. I know, but as a combination of sound quality, comfort, isolating properties, ruggedness, functionality. longevity, parts availability, many varied and ubiquitous professional applications and historical significance (neatly 30 years and Counting) takes some beating

Everyone should own a pair at some stage. It has great potential. To hear it with a Chord Mojo is a real ear opener something I need to experience again

But that's enough hyperbole.....I'm a bit of a fan

:wink:

Oct 28, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #684 of 9,626
Hey Pedro, still rocking the HD25s, don't blame you, it will be difficult to get something with their kind of slam, in large part due tot he HD25's high SPL, closed cup design, and tuning. The can is legendary, and only held back the technical department a bit by a pretty standard driver.

As far as slam goes, I can only really talk about the HD650, which given its modest low-range frequency hump, is quite tactile with electronic music. Like the HD25, the HD650 does something with music that is hard to compete with - all the parts come together so well. It the frequency balance of the HD650 that allows you to turn it up a bit, and get a more visceral experience.

Now the low-end never hits the depths of the LCD2,and speaking of which, if I want real tactile slam the LCD2 outclasses the HD650 (no matter what the magic amp / cables/ etc) as its planar design extends low, with clarity, and lack of distortion. But the LCD2, isn't really a bassheads can, because it doesn't have that v-shape tuning, and even with EQ, it never has that bloom that a dynamic driver can give you which can be enjoyable.

I'd say both HD650 and LCD2 are on par though, for various reasons, even for listening to electronic music. Bass is only one aspect, and its arguable that the HD650 handles linear top-end frequency a bit smoother while being a more comfy.

The HD660S may not be a massive improvement, and does come with a price tag, but I will say that 150ohm power rating (like the HD700) really goes a way to helping these headphones become a lot more manageable from say an iPhone or portable. After recabling the HD700, they have a perfect balance between getting enjoyment out of a desktop amp/dac or just on the go.

HD700 - yes, technically the bass on the 700 is tighter than the 650. I feel it quite well-balanced, and in some sense it is like the HD25, as that bass actually isn't overly pronounced. I feel the HD650 and LCD2 will bring more 'weight' to electronic music, but the HD700 will soar with more experimental, acoustic-orientated electronic music, or very technical productions even psy-trance, IDM, etc. It's just another flavor really, but for the most part I'm going to reach for my LCD2 or even more so my Denon AH-D2000 / MDR-7520.

Which brings me to closed-cans in a way that @DoctaCosmos discussed earlier (welcome back by the way!). A closed-can is going to bring a different level of engagement and 'slam' than opens do. The MDR-7520 out of all my cans is the one that can punch, not the lowest, but is intentionally designed to analyze music, including the low-end. Not too far off the design of the HD25, the 7520, also a professional headphone, is more spacious in size and sound. The dynamic driver in the 7520 is one of Sony's better designs and extends low/high. It's more of a HD25 replacement (though it is expensive) - but I'll tell you I still miss the HD25 (gave it to my brother)/

The Denon AH-D2000, however can be the most enjoyable with electronic music out of all of them. Unlike later design revisions of the Foster bio-cellulose driver, the D2000 is tuned flat with a bit of v-shape going on. Bass is delicious without being overpowered. One thing I've found out, is that the pads make a massive difference with these cans. I now have two D2000s, one has some older pads that are supple and with less width. They are the most comfortable and somehow the sound is just a step up compared to the other one, whose pads are stiffer and thicker. I imagine the sound of the newer one will change as it breaks in, just something to be aware of. This impacts most headphones even the HD650 series. The HD25/7520 don't have to worry about this as much due to their design (as long as you get a good seal and aren't using foam pads).

Not sure how much an improvement the 660S will be over the 650/600/580. If slams was a prime consideration it would be tough choice between this and the new LCD2C (a revision of the classic) at its $599 price point but I'd probably go with the latter.

Hey malfunkt!!! :)

I will always have a pair of hd25s with me. I sold them once and regreted ever since. In fact right now i have 2 basic edition hd25s. Got one pair last year and 3 months ago they popped up for a few hours on spanish amazon for 90 euros and i could not resist to buy a backup pair. Yep its stupid but that is how much i love them.

True that they Far feom soniccaly perfect, they are not the most confortable and drivers like the ones on the momentums already beat them easily but their mix of sound quality, the unique sound sig, build and durability (with the momentums i feel like i have to protect them from scratches while the hd25 can take a beating and will always look new) is impossible to beat. Its one of the few headphones wich lets me lay my head on a pillow without loosing fit or seal and they can be used anywhere and olugged to anything. I have other headphones of course, i have the x2 and the hd600 right now (and i just sold my 2 over ear momentums), but i always end up going back to them.

The x2 actually is maybe the closest i heard so far to a hd25 (ladies and gentleman who want a similar sig to the hd25s and m50x on a easy to drive open back.... this is your ticket.... at least IMO) on a open back but still i think that no one makes highs and mids like sennheiser. I prefere the sound sig of the x2 to the hd600. The hd600s feel flat when compared but it is easilly noticeable that the hd600 is a higher resolution headphone, detail is much more perceivable and there is a airiness and refinement that just cant be matched by the x2. So basically i want the hd600 mids and highs but i would like them to sound a bit fuller overall, a bit more authority on the bass, more musical.... the punch on the hd600 is not bad but a tad more also wouldnt hurt.

So basically now i am trying to decide if i should go 650, 660 or 700.... :)

Edit: the hd600 surprises me at times even with edm despite being a fairly flat headphones...

Yesterday i discovered a very deep, sweet piano drum n bass track from keeno called futurism.... sure it is much easier to headbang ro the drums on the x2s while on the hd600 it feels meh, but the way the piano is presented on the hd600.... damn.... feels really euphonic and blissfull....

Drum and bass and blissfull trance lovers.... i think it will appeal to some.....

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #685 of 9,626
hd25 have no comfort at all, they are trying to squeeze your head to the dead
Patience ie years of use, a bit of judicious regular stretching of headband, velour or 'Aluminium' pads, a love of the comfort and cool liberating freedom from facial upper jaw clamping and over heating sweaty ears of over ear headphone and a reasonably not over sized head are your friends.

I wear mine for many hours anytime anywhere and have for many years

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #686 of 9,626
The Nightowl wipes out the 650 so it probably does so with the 660S as well.
Bollox

Only if you like listening to what music your next door neighbour is playing (through very thick walls whilst submerged in a bath):))

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #687 of 9,626
The Nighthawk also caused me fatigue, it was like the treble all peaked in this uncomfortable harsh spike that reared it’s ugly head at times and the lower regions also caused me fatigue. Any of the Senns HD 6xx when well driven didn’t cause me an fatigue. The HD 800S doesn’t fatigue me nor does a well driven HD 800 or T1. The Tesla 2.0 Beyers(DT 1770/1990 and Amiron) also don’t bother me. The Elear or Utopia didn’t bother me. The Sony Z1R didn’t. None of the STAX headphones I heard. The Fostex TH610 didn’t. Yet somehow the Hawks fatigued me.

Wow. Your experience is nearly the polar opposite of my own. Both iterations of the Beyerdynamic T1 (along with the DT 880) are hot enough to severely exacerbate my tinnitus. The same for the HD800, to a lesser extent. Even the HD580 bothers me a bit, and yet I can use the Nighthawk for hours upon hours with zero hearing fatigue. The HD650 is kinder and gentler to my ears, but not as kind or gentle as the Nighthawk. In this regard, I look forward to reading more about the HD660S though.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #688 of 9,626

This sounds great! When you say "haze," however, do you mean that the bass sounds less wooly? Or that the treble sounds less veiled?

Oct 28, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #689 of 9,626
Wow. Your experience is nearly the polar opposite of my own. Both iterations of the Beyerdynamic T1 (along with the DT 880) are hot enough to severely exacerbate my tinnitus. The same for the HD800, to a lesser extent. Even the HD580 bothers me a bit, and yet I can use the Nighthawk for hours upon hours with zero hearing fatigue. The HD650 is kinder and gentler to my ears, but not as kind or gentle as the Nighthawk. I look forward to reading more about the HD660S though.

The HD 800 and T1(talking about the gen 2 here) was only on the right system, but otherwise not really. The Hawks fatigued me regardless of system. The DT 770/880/990, etc. and even the DT 150 fatigued me slightly, they had an issue in the 10khz region that irritated me over time, took the DT 150 longest to bother me of the bunch. The Hawks create some sort of weird pressure to my ears and my ears get this almost clogging up effect with them, the weird pressure I got from the Hawks was the main source of fatigue for me, this happened even at moderately-low volumes. The longer I owned the Hawks the more they irritated me. The three least fatiguing headphones I've owned to my ears have been the Amiron Home, the HD 650, and the DT 480. Many of the headphones I listed I don't own but I spent many hours listening to courtesy of a friend. This really shows not everyone is fatigued by the same thing. I used to think treble spikes were the culprit of fatigue for me, but I realized it's more complicated than that as some headphones with spikes even in areas I thought I was sensitive in don't bother me at all.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #690 of 9,626
Bollox

Only if you like listening to what music your next door neighbour is playing (through very thick walls whilst submerged in a bath):))
Which is what they would sound like to someone who blew their ears out listening to death metal at full volume perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back