Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 28, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #646 of 9,628
I’ve personally never liked any open back headphone for EDM. Get a can with good isolation and deep cups for lots of room for extreme dynamics flying all around. Always liked the modded t50rp headphones from mrspeakers and zmf for this kind of thing. Also would be willing to bet oppo pm3 would be good or if you can handle a v-shaped signature the fostex
I already thought about Massdrop X Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart, but at the moment I want a headphone that is all in one.

Oct 28, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #650 of 9,628
Amartignano, just noticed you have the hd25. I am a hd25 fan as well. Is the hd700 any close to its sound sig or not so much?

Hi Pedro, nope, the Hd700 is almost completely different sounding compared to the hd25.

Oct 28, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #651 of 9,628
Hi Pedro, nope, the Hd700 is almost completely different sounding compared to the hd25.
Wich sounds has a Fuller sounding bass and overall sound and wich hits/slams harder, the hd700 or the hd600?

Someone a few posts back said it was hopping for black friday deals on the 660 but i doubt it will happen. Its still a very new product. I can see that happen maybe on the 700, 650 or 600 to clear some stock since all attention is geared toward the newer headphone now.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #654 of 9,628
The 700 slams harder, and is definitely fuller sounding in every aspect. That's my experience having owned both.
Wich sounds has a Fuller sounding bass and overall sound and wich hits/slams harder, the hd700 or the hd600?

Someone a few posts back said it was hopping for black friday deals on the 660 but i doubt it will happen. Its still a very new product. I can see that happen maybe on the 700, 650 or 600 to clear some stock since all attention is geared toward the newer headphone now.

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #655 of 9,628
EDM on a open back . . . Planars, that is the right way to do it

This or closed backs. The 650s can do EDM mids without problems and can even handle moderately fast tracks but if you’re looking for that low end sub bass it’s not going to happen. So in this price range you can get yourself the Purple Hearts and mod them (works extremely well for EDM) and have (to me) the same sound stage as the HD650 just without that air, possibly look at a Pre-razor LCD-2, or wait and see how the LCD-2Cs measure. You got options.

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #656 of 9,628
This or closed backs. The 650s can do EDM mids without problems and can even handle moderately fast tracks but if you’re looking for that low end sub bass it’s not going to happen. So in this price range you can get yourself the Purple Hearts and mod them (works extremely well for EDM) and have (to me) the same sound stage as the HD650 just without that air, possibly look at a Pre-razor LCD-2, or wait and see how the LCD-2Cs measure. You got options.
How about the HE560, would it be a good choice?

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #657 of 9,628
How about the HE560, would it be a good choice?

Never had the opportunity to listen to them so possibly one of the other head-fiers can comment on this. From what I read they’re have that fast planar attack, can go low but the rumble and body isnt there like the LCD-2s.

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #658 of 9,628
Hi, I just found on ebay that new hd650 now sells for USD 265 which i think is a good deal. While I seriously consider to order one, I kindly appreciate your view on whether buying the new 660s justifies its almost double price, i.e. USD 499. Last, I have cowon d2 old fashion mp3 player bundled with topping nx5 portable amp (which I am very happy with and never had any difficulty/issues with driving my grado sr 225) and I wonder if these together are powerwise sufficient enough to drive these headphones, especially in the case of 300 ohm hd650. Again I plan to have a good dedicated amp soon, so please do not handle my first query regarding justification of the price difference taking my current portable source/amplication into consideration.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #660 of 9,628

Difficult to say, I think that properly amped the hd600 is fuller and maybe hits harder. Nevertheless the Hd700 has a bass that goes deeper and for me it's better textured, and maybe with better transients so... I'm not sure about wich one hits harder.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back