Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 27, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #631 of 9,628
With the 660s - if you like the 650 and Sennheiser in general, I don’t see how anybody could be disappointed with it. I can’t answer whether it’s worth the money as that usually involves private information such as a person’s income level and budget. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford it and in a time when, for example, HiFiMan can charge $6k for a headphone that seems to be built from the same materials as the $3k one and in turn the $3k is as cheaply built as the $1,300 one, the 660s is by no means a rip off. In fact, I’d say it sounds fantastic for the price.

I'm an enthusiastic fan of Sennheiser, and I'm pretty confident I'd like the HD 660S myself -- I have the HD 600 and HD 650 and like them both a great deal, and even the HD 700 which I know were far less well received than the 600 and 650, although I am less familiar with the HD 700 sound because it's on loan and I've had little head time with it so far... but the HD 660S definitely has my interest, and I'd love to hear it sometime even though it's not likely I'll buy it anytime since I'm rather saturated with headphones....

But if the 660S could *replace* my HD 650, maybe I could justify it.... :innocent:

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #632 of 9,628
Oh I am aware, the thing is the DT 1990 also does mids and treble better than the K712, it's a straight up better headphone, it's better balanced sounding than the AKG. The bass isn't overbearing at all, it's tight and impactful. The HD 650 is too dark and laid-back for EDM for me. Good but slightly energetic mids and treble are a must for me when it comes to EDM. I listen to EDM on my vintage DT 480 a good amount due to it's hauntingly natural vocal presentation and it's insane speed and detail but it barely has any bass presence. The Amiron Home is also excellent for EDM, especially the more delicate sort.

What I'm hoping for on the HD 660S is it has the extra nudge in dynamics and energy to be to my liking on EDM as it makes up a large chunk of my listening. If it doesn't, I may just get a HD 600.

For that type of music, the K712 will be good, note the K712 may be a bit strong in the 2khz region making it sound a bit hard at times.

So you break me, I'm just thinking about the 712 on the 660 just because of the price since it does not look so good for 500 dollars.
With the 660s - if you like the HD 650 and Sennheiser in general, I don’t see how anybody could be disappointed with it. I can’t answer whether it’s worth the money as that usually involves private information such as a person’s income level and budget. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford it and in a time when, for example, HiFiMan can charge $6k for a headphone that seems to be built from the same materials as the $3k one and in turn the $3k is as cheaply built as the $1,300 one, the 660s is by no means a rip off. In fact, I’d say it sounds fantastic for the price.
The problem is neither the value itself but the fact that I could buy something better than the HD 660 S with 500 dollars, maybe the HE560 that one day cost almost 1000 dollars, maybe even the HD 700 is better even though criticized because I do not want to pay a minimum change amount if I can pay the same amount for something higher than HD 660 S.

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #633 of 9,628
Hoping for some special pricing on Friday, November 24

They're just so new, I'm skeptical there would be any specials on them... I'd not be surprised at all to see the HD 650 discounted, though, on Black Friday or Cyber Monday, on the other hand.

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #634 of 9,628
So you break me, I'm just thinking about the 712 on the 660 just because of the price since it does not look so good for 500 dollars.

The problem is neither the value itself but the fact that I could buy something better than the HD 660 S with 500 dollars, maybe the HE560 that one day cost almost 1000 dollars, maybe even the HD 700 is better even though criticized because I do not want to pay a minimum change amount if I can pay the same amount for something higher than HD 660 S.

What are you using currently? I'm curious as to what your ears are tuned to already and what in particular you're looking to improve in a new set.

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #635 of 9,628

Not discouraging the K712, just mentioning it doesn't have the most slam which may not be ideal for all genres and some people are bothered by the 2khz region on AKGs so just bringing it up, you do get used to it's presentation though. Beyers on the other hand tend to have extra energy around the 8-10khz region. Just bringing up headphones I think will be better suited for EDM and a wider variety of music in general. It does cost more, but I was able to score the DT 1990 and Amiron Home for $400 each new so I would keep an eye on them. I'm personally waiting to hear the HD 660S, don't want to offer any advice on a headphone I haven't heard yet.

The problem is it can be hard to say what is ideal for you. More expensive doesn't always equal better. Some headphones are priced at prices they shouldn't be. Many of the best values can be found from Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG, etc.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #636 of 9,628
I'll listen to that tomorrow when I'm at the office on my K712 (which is where I've kept them so far), but I just listened to them on my K701 with K7XX pads which has a similar sound (not as good as the K712, though, IMO) and vocals sounded great to me. I also listened with the HD 600, too, though, and I think I liked it slightly more on the HD 600 than the K701 -- I'll see tomorrow how the K712 fares to my ears with that song. The HD 600 had a little more warmth, to my ears, and the K701 sounded a little more diffuse, lean - maybe that's because it has a wider soundstage than the HD 600.

Frankly, I find the HD 600 to be a great all around headphone, but I can honestly say the same about the K701 and the K712, they are just different flavors to my ears which is why I haven't gotten rid of any of them. (That and I keep different ones at home and at the office.)
This song was just an example, but I'd like to know your opinion of EDM songs with 712, so I'm waiting for your answer, something else, what does IMO and SQ mean?

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #638 of 9,628
This song was just an example, but I'd like to know your opinion of EDM songs with 712, so I'm waiting for your answer, something else, what does IMO and SQ mean?

IMO = In My Opinion
SQ = Sound Quality

I've been using my K712 Pro as my main driver for about the last week (since I got them) for pop, some rock, and EDM, and I just find them in general to be good all-around headphones. I perceive that @kman1211 is more knowledgable in general on the differences between the Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, and K7xx headphones he's cited in general so I'll defer to him on those differences.

Ironically, the more headphones I've bought, the less picky I am about the sound signature -- at least between the ones I've bought and kept -- because as long as they are "good" headphones (and I think all my mid-fi headphones fit in that category, i.e., they are relatively balanced and closer to neutral than not) -- my ears adjust to the different sound signatures and enjoy them all.

So at no time did I put down my K712's because I thought, "eh, this kind of music doesn't sound good on these, let me grab the HD 650." On occasion, I'd do some brief comparison mostly out of curiosity.

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #639 of 9,628
To this day I've only used garbage, I've never had a HI-FI product, but I intend to have a headphone that is good with all genres, not only EDM, the amplifier and dac I want is Project Polaris and Schiit Modi Multibit, the headphone is the hard part, to be between the HD 600 even being awful, HD 660 S, AKG K712 and Hifiman HE-560, the hard choice, and before they ask, I've never tested any of them and I have no way to test, all I know is that I want a colorful sound but it does not have to be too much and also detailed, but as always, I accept its questions.

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #640 of 9,628
To this day I've only used garbage, I've never had a HI-FI product, but I intend to have a headphone that is good with all genres, not only EDM, the amplifier and dac I want is Project Polaris and Schiit Modi Multibit, the headphone is the hard part, to be between the HD 600 even being awful, HD 660 S, AKG K712 and Hifiman HE-560, the hard choice, and before they ask, I've never tested any of them and I have no way to test, all I know is that I want a colorful sound but it does not have to be too much and also detailed, but as always, I accept its questions.

Headphones that I've owned that are good for all genres have been the DT 1990, Amiron Home, DT 150, K712, K612, and the HD 600. The HD 650 was close but just didn't have enough energy for all genres for me. In terms of being colorful which I assume you mean lively and musically engaging. The Tesla Beyers will have the most dynamic energy and liveliest sound. The AKGs will have a lot of energy but more in the mids and treble region, bass may take a little bit of coaxing out, the AKGs are capable of good slam but can be a pain to draw it out. The Senn HD 600/650 skirt more on the laid-back and very balanced but may not be quite as lively as your hoping, they have dynamic energy but can take some extra coaxing to get it out. The HD 660S is a mystery to me and I only heard the HE-560 in passing.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #641 of 9,628

Just go for the 660s if you have the means. Read the professional and Head Fi member reviews of the 650. You won’t find a more universally praised headphone and it’s almost always a recommendation for those getting their feet with audiophile grade sound. The 660s will get the same praise.

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #643 of 9,628
Based on my recollection of the 650, the 660s is indeed more energetic sounding - perhaps not a huge leap but it’s like it drank a few more cups of coffee. I am not finding it boring or laid back at all.

That's a good thing, that's what I'm hoping for. The slight lack of energy is what prevented me from truly adoring the HD 650. I'm not expecting Tesla Beyer vividness or energy, but definitely hoping for a bit more than the HD 650 because all the HD 650 truly needed for me was just a bit more vividness.

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #644 of 9,628
I’ve personally never liked any open back headphone for EDM. Get a can with good isolation and deep cups for lots of room for extreme dynamics flying all around. Always liked the modded t50rp headphones from mrspeakers and zmf for this kind of thing. Also would be willing to bet oppo pm3 would be good or if you can handle a v-shaped signature the fostex

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #645 of 9,628
Based on my recollection of the 650, the 660s is indeed more energetic sounding - perhaps not a huge leap but it’s like it drank a few more cups of coffee. I am not finding it boring or laid back at all.
If only the HD 660 S had a good sound stage ... This is one of the things that interests me most in a headphone, although it is not the main one. Does he even have that feeling that the sound is coming off the headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back