Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 27, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #616 of 9,621
Well, from what I am reading in the comments the HD 660 S is not the one these things, I already imagined, it is better than its predecessor but not worth 500 dollars, so I think I will buy AKG K712 same, it may be a little lower but it's a lot cheaper, now if it's being sold for up to $ 430, I'll buy it.​

It's also a completely different animal. I'd advise extreme caution.

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #617 of 9,621
I understand this since i also love to mod Grado's where the type of wood along with the shape does influence the sound a lot and pads are also great for tuning the sound. I don't use EQ due to logistical reasons and i would never want the HD700 to sound like the HD600/650.

Oh I wouldn’t want to make the HD 700 sound like the HD 600/650 either myself. Was simply pointing out the drivers can sound similar with the right conditions.

An interesting thing with brighter headphones, some just don’t bother me as much at all if any, some bother me less than darker headphones with even treble. For example I personally find the Amiron Home easier on the ears than the HD 650 even which is interesting as the Amiron has a 8khz peak which I do hear but doesn’t bother me one bit while the HD 650 doesn’t really have any peaks. The HD 650 doesn’t bother me, just the Amiron is even easier to my ears, likely partly due to gentler fit of the Beyers. I’m curious how I will find the HD 660S in terms of it being gentle on the ears. My friend got a pair of HD 660S in. So will listen to them soon.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #618 of 9,621
It's also a completely different animal. I'd advise extreme caution.
I wanted the HD 660 S, but from what I read the changes are minimal for the price charged, there are people who even prefer the HD 600, I know the sound is subjective but we're talking about $ 500 against $ 287 plus I was told that the K712 is good for EDM and for the other genres, so for the price I think it's the best option, or do you have something against? I would like to read a comparison between the two.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #621 of 9,621
I don’t listen to EDM but I think the 712 is not too strong in the bass. I also think the 660s is just a better headphone in general when compared to the 712. It’s a bit difficult to find the right amplification for the 712 too.

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #622 of 9,621
I wanted the HD 660 S, but from what I read the changes are minimal for the price charged, there are people who even prefer the HD 600, I know the sound is subjective but we're talking about $ 500 against $ 287 plus I was told that the K712 is good for EDM and for the other genres, so for the price I think it's the best option, or do you have something against? I would like to read a comparison between the two.

If you want a great open back for EDM get the DT 1990 if you can find a good price on it. I’ve owned a lot of headphones, the DT 1990 was the absolute best I’ve owned for EDM. The K712 doesn’t have enough slam to be great for EDM, it’s good for EDM but not great. Excellent headphone though.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #623 of 9,621
Do you think it's a good choice for EDM and all other genres?

I listen to EDM and enjoy quite a lot on my K712. That said, my ears get used to a phone's signature, and unless it's really, really far from neutral or just poorly performing, I can probably enjoy EDM on it.

I like the wideness of the soundstage on the K712 and it sounds to my ears like a fast driver, so everything sounds very clean and detailed, and the bass, while it doesn't extend as much as the HE-500 to my ears, it still has great texture and enough heft for EDM for my ears.

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #624 of 9,621
I do not understand why people always just assimilate the bass with EDM, as if this genre had low bass, I know that in most songs there is a stronger beat like a "BUUM", but electronic music also has vocal and instrumental, which is also very important to consider, an example of this is the music of the video below, but for other genres such as Rock, Pop, instrumental and even movies, the AKG K712 is a good choice?

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #625 of 9,621
I do not understand why people always just assimilate the bass with EDM, as if this genre had low bass, I know that in most songs there is a stronger beat like a "BUUM", but electronic music also has vocal and instrumental, which is also very important to consider, an example of this is the music of the video below, but for other genres such as Rock, Pop, instrumental and even movies, the AKG K712 is a good choice?

Oh I am aware, the thing is the DT 1990 also does mids and treble better than the K712, it's a straight up better headphone, it's better balanced sounding than the AKG. The bass isn't overbearing at all, it's tight and impactful. The HD 650 is too dark and laid-back for EDM for me. Good but slightly energetic mids and treble are a must for me when it comes to EDM. I listen to EDM on my vintage DT 480 a good amount due to it's hauntingly natural vocal presentation and it's insane speed and detail but it barely has any bass presence. The Amiron Home is also excellent for EDM, especially the more delicate sort.

What I'm hoping for on the HD 660S is it has the extra nudge in dynamics and energy to be to my liking on EDM as it makes up a large chunk of my listening. If it doesn't, I may just get a HD 600.

For that type of music, the K712 will be good. I listened to it on the Amiron Home, song sounded fantastic on them.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #626 of 9,621
With the 660s - if you like the 650 and Sennheiser in general, I don’t see how anybody could be disappointed with it. I can’t answer whether it’s worth the money as that usually involves private information such as a person’s income level and budget. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford it and in a time when, for example, HiFiMan can charge $6k for a headphone that seems to be built from the same materials as the $3k one and in turn the $3k is as cheaply built as the $1,300 one, the 660s is by no means a rip off. In fact, I’d say it sounds fantastic for the price.

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #627 of 9,621
I listen to EDM and enjoy quite a lot on my K712. That said, my ears get used to a phone's signature, and unless it's really, really far from neutral or just poorly performing, I can probably enjoy EDM on it.

I like the wideness of the soundstage on the K712 and it sounds to my ears like a fast driver, so everything sounds very clean and detailed, and the bass, while it doesn't extend as much as the HE-500 to my ears, it still has great texture and enough heft for EDM for my ears.
I forgot that you had listened to the "scarlet" a month or two ago, what did you think of it compared to the K712 & he500

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #628 of 9,621
I forgot that you had listened to the "scarlet" a month or two ago, what did you think of it compared to the K712 & he500

I didn't have the K712 or the HE-500 at the time, so I wasn't able to compare them directly, but from memory, I assessed them as more of a fun headphone - a relaxed sound, a great listening headphone, but that also colored my perception of them as less technically capable. However, I admit that may be off because I sadly did not spend a lot of time with them as that week I had them ended up being a rather heavy work week, and not the kind where I spent a lot of time with headphones on my head either. They were certainly easier to drive than my HD-650, but the bass I thought was slower and not as textured as the K712 -- though, again I am comparing from memory.

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #629 of 9,621
Hoping for some special pricing on Friday, November 24

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #630 of 9,621

I'll listen to that tomorrow when I'm at the office on my K712 (which is where I've kept them so far), but I just listened to them on my K701 with K7XX pads which has a similar sound (not as good as the K712, though, IMO) and vocals sounded great to me. I also listened with the HD 600, too, though, and I think I liked it slightly more on the HD 600 than the K701 -- I'll see tomorrow how the K712 fares to my ears with that song. The HD 600 had a little more warmth, to my ears, and the K701 sounded a little more diffuse, lean - maybe that's because it has a wider soundstage than the HD 600.

Frankly, I find the HD 600 to be a great all around headphone, but I can honestly say the same about the K701 and the K712, they are just different flavors to my ears which is why I haven't gotten rid of any of them. (That and I keep different ones at home and at the office.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back