Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 26, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #541 of 9,626
Like the HD650 over the years, I suspect you'll find quite a few people that will prefer the HD660s over much more expensive headphones. Just a hunch.

I get that. But that type of cursory hype without adding any in depth substance to it just comes off sounding so hyped and fake. It’s posts like that that allow other forums to make fun of Head Fi.

“Everything about that Mercedes is better than the Chevette but the Chevette has better window tinting. So the Chevette is better.”

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #542 of 9,626
We all know that most TOTL headphones are heavily overpriced, just because we buy them at such prices. Even though the HEK might be a fantastic headphone it is more so a superb source for the manufacturers and the resellers fortune. With the business concept of Schiit Audio, they would sell for maybe 700$ instead of 3000$. And the HD660S for 200$ or something.

True. But I just want to read honest reviews and not hype. Your comments on this thread have had much more substance to back up what you’ve said. So thank you for that. It just gets old reading new toy hype reviews that are cursory and void of real effort. That’s all.

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #543 of 9,626
Just to confirm previous posts about stacking discounts in senn webshop and to thank you guys for the info...got it for 380e by applying 2 discount codes, one general found on the internet and second personal discount code offered by webshop during checkout process....they said it's limited quantity at that price

How did you get the personal discount code?

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #544 of 9,626
Momentums are only mid-bass, both the HD600 and HD650 have better bass that goes lower. I've sold my HD600 due to a small treble peak that bothered me at times and replaced it with a Ypsilon S1 build, a friend who bought the HD600 took one listen of the Ypsilon and quickly sold the HD600 also. I had though of getting another HD600 in the future but after hearing the Ypsilon I don't see my self getting another HD600. What got me reading about the HD660s was the suggestion that it could be a modified HD700 driver, reviews of the HD660s looks like it corrects some of the HD650 short comings but since I'm one that would take a HD700 over the HD600/650 I'm hoping the HD660s is a blend of the HD700 sound stage and bass with the mids of the HD650 and highs between the HD700 and HD650
True. But I just want to read honest reviews and not hype. Your comments on this thread have had much more substance to back up what you’ve said. So thank you for that. It just gets old reading new toy hype reviews that are cursory and void of real effort. That’s all.
But if it is what he think.... if you cant stand BS you should stay away from this or any other forum.... :D

So many opinions, so many snake oil.... Its not like everyone wants to BS you but sooner or later you end up falling in the trap. Some over excited buyer, bad use of vocabulary, different headphone backgrounds...

I remember when the dt770 was recomended to me as a basshead headphone..... :D

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #546 of 9,626

Hi Endgame,

Please don't get me wrong. The HE-1000 is in many ways a superior headphone to the HD660S. It is just that my in my personal preference I would pick the 660S over the HEK. It could be due to what you would call a more mid-centric sound signature. The HEK has a wonderful bass, probably the best I have heard on a pair of headphones. It digs deeper than the 660S. Furthermore, the HEK was on another level in the treble and in overall presentation and soundstage, it outshined the 660S. I am probably just very sensitive to the tonality of the mids, and I like the tonality more on the HD660 than the HEK. I find that, to me, the vocals sound more realistic on the 660S. And this is important to me.

I would like to add more substance to my mini-review, but I only had half an hour to compare the two, and I would need more time in order to do a more complete write-up, so please take my comments with a grain of salt.

Kind regards,

Jon

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #547 of 9,626
Hi Endgame,

Please don't get me wrong. The HE-1000 is in many ways a superior headphone to the HD660S. It is just that my in my personal preference I would pick the 660S over the HEK. It could be due to what you would call a more mid-centric sound signature. The HEK has a wonderful bass, probably the best I have heard on a pair of headphones. It digs deeper than the 660S. Furthermore, the HEK was on another level in the treble and in overall presentation and soundstage, it outshined the 660S. I am probably just very sensitive to the tonality of the mids, and I like the tonality more on the HD660 than the HEK. I find that, to me, the vocals sound more realistic on the 660S. And this is important to me.

I would like to add more substance to my mini-review, but I only had half an hour to compare the two, and I would need more time in order to do a more complete write-up, so please take my comments with a grain of salt.

Kind regards,

Jon

Fair enough. Thank you for that explanation. I appreciate your input.

Oct 26, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #548 of 9,626
What setup did you use to compare the headphones if you don’t mind me asking? Also, how was the 660s in terms of detail? Notice any difference from memory with your old HD650

Of course not. I used the HDV 820 and standard cables. In terms of detail retrieval, the 660S is a lot better than the old 650, but it is not a fair comparison, as I am sure it would be closer if the 660S was compared to a new 650. Still, from my memory of the newer iterations of the HD 650 that I have heard recently, I would think that the 660 has slightly more details, mostly due to the more refined treble. I hope this helps, but take it with a grain of salt, as a direct comparison is needed.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Oct 26, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #549 of 9,626
Of course not. I used the HDV 820 and standard cables. In terms of detail retrieval, the 660S is a lot better than the old 650, but it is not a fair comparison, as I am sure it would be closer if the 660S was compared to a new 650. Still, from my memory of the newer iterations of the HD 650 that I have heard recently, I would think that the 660 has slightly more details, mostly due to the more refined treble. I hope this helps, but take it with a grain of salt, as a direct comparison is needed.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Can you compare with the hd600 please?

Oct 26, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #550 of 9,626

Best wishes,

Jonathan

I am curious in how the new ones compare to the HD 660S. I found even the 3-4 year old HD 600/650's sound different than the current ones. There's been a few silent and subtle changes over the years on them likely from upgrades to manufacturing equipment and processes, etc., not just the obvious black to silver acoustic screen. I'm waiting for a friend to get a pair of HD 660S and compare them to a current HD 600 and HD 650 on a really nice system. Hopefully this will be soon.

Oct 26, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #551 of 9,626
Hard to take this seriously. I’m glad you like the 660S but to compare it to the HEK and also say it’s better is just rubbish. Not to mention that the midrange on the HEK is perfectly neutral and not recessed at all. I own the HEK and the 800S and they’re both awesome but the HEK is slightly better in my opinion and the 800S blows all the lower model Sennheiser’s out of the water.
Again, I’m glad you like them, as I’m also interested in them but the “new toy hype” reviews don’t really help anyone make an informed decision when they’re just ridiculous. You’re taking a $500 dynamic headphone and calling it better than a $3000 Planar because of elevated 660S mid range? Come on man.

You should know better. Price and indeed technicalities has little to do with what makes a headphone someone's long term favourite

The HD600 (as in my Case) or 650 are many people's 'END GAME' endgame!

:wink:

Oct 26, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #553 of 9,626
I am curious in how the new ones compare to the HD 660S. I found even the 3-4 year old HD 600/650's sound different than the current ones. There's been a few silent and subtle changes over the years on them likely from upgrades to manufacturing equipment and processes, etc., not just the obvious black to silver acoustic screen. I'm waiting for a friend to get a pair of HD 660S and compare them to a current HD 600 and HD 650 on a really nice system. Hopefully this will be soon.
I AM also interested in a hd600 conparison. :)

Oct 26, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #555 of 9,626
You should know better. Price and indeed technicalities has little to do with what makes a headphone someone's long term favourite

The HD600 (as in my Case) or 650 are many people's 'END GAME' endgame!

:wink:

Price was not the main subject of my comment. It was just one factor. The poster said that the HEK has better quality bass, better treble extension, was more comfortable, had the larger soundstage and better separation. BUT the 660 has the better mids so the 660 is better. That just came across to me as crazy and ventured into the realm of fanboyism and new toy hype as opposed to actual critical listening and observation. And none of those are helpful to those who haven’t heard the new 660’s and want an honest assessment of them.
But none of that matters now because he clarified his points later and and now all is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back