Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Apr 29, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #3,226 of 9,653
Having followed this thread from day one I can honestly say that it's now ruined and has degenerated into a platform for one person's egotistical rantings, said person has even somehow managed to get on the wrong side of one thing of the most respected contributors to a number of threads I've followed over the years, DavidA. Thanks a bunch.

Yes, thank you for posting this! I’ve been dying to do the same but have been driving for a while. What a sad joke it is that DavidA, one of the most consistently thoughtful and knowledgeable posters is being criticized by a bombastic, egomaniacal, BS saturated poster like FullBright1.

Apr 29, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #3,227 of 9,653
Once again, let's please keep the thread on-topic. Thanks for your assistance, everyone.

Having followed this thread from day one I can honestly say that it's now ruined and has degenerated into a platform for one person's egotistical rantings, said person has even somehow managed to get on the wrong side of one of the most respected contributors to a number of threads I've followed over the years, DavidA. Thanks a bunch.

Yes, thank you for posting this! I’ve been dying to do the same but have been driving for a while. What a sad joke it is that DavidA, one of the most consistently thoughtful and knowledgeable posters is being criticized by a bombastic, egomaniacal, BS saturated poster like FullBright1.

As per AxelCloris on Friday above posts, please get back on topic.

Apr 29, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #3,228 of 9,653

The ignore button has been working perfectly for days now.

Apr 29, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #3,229 of 9,653
... This is why for those that don't want to bother with tubes the HD660S would be a better choice (but over priced IMO) while those like me that have a decent OTL amp I'd still recommend the HD650 or HD6XX....

I agree with this assessment. hd600 and hd660s are more similar than different. hd6xx series should been very good headphones in the last few decades. IMO, they are outdated these days. And I think they are not pretty much competent at a $500 price tag, although I think they are of very good value if priced at $200.

I would easily prefer hd800s over hd660s. hd800s has an extremely large soundstage which other cans barely mimic. But there are too many alternatives over hd660 in the market.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #3,230 of 9,653
Just been catching up on this thread and I may have been reading the cleaned up version. I felt Fullbright brought a lot of convincing arguments to the table. I am likely to purchase these headphones soon.

I felt the HD650s are almost perfect in uppermids to treble, although veiled and needs better resolution there...not more quantity, more quality. The subtle midbass, low mid boost is tastefully done to balance the bottom and top, in order to make up for subbass roll-off. this gives it a very good overall tilt. Lead vocalist would think their voices sound spot on, because it matches their perception of their own voice, more bass, than others would hear it. It also matches the perception of their own voice on stage...which is tuned to how the individual believes it truly sounds...when everyone else hears less bass. The people off stage, the audience, also hears less bass because they don't get the wooden stage floor bouncing warmth back up to the performers.

Neutrality and realism can be a matter of perspective. I think the HD650 gives an excellent window to the musicians intent regardless of its flaws. The same cannot be said for most headphones.

Then again what do I know? I love oldskool hip hop...I am all about that bass. But I am all about the mids even more...

Apr 30, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #3,231 of 9,653
[Modified by Mod[

In the world of pro and most other reviews, the 650, is loved and hated., but its a product that IS good enough to keep around, so, they are satisfied to sit on their hands at the Senn company and make nothing else for many years other then the awful first edition Momentum.
However, its the HD600, that is their universally adored benchmark whereas the 650, is the kept in the backfield person stepchild with a bottom that is too big for most to love.:)
Of these 3 headphones....the 600, and the 650, and the 660S, the 650, is in 3rd place.
Its on the track, but it was lapped years ago, and now its newest sibling is eating its lunch and taking names.
Not my fault.
Just a fact.

Fullbright just has a very enthusiastic way of writing comment. I don't think it requires moderation.

As for the HD660S not scaling much these are what I'd consider some of the better amps that we tried: Elise, Icon HP-8 mk2, MicroZOTL2, HA-501, MHA-100, Dark Star, GSX-mk2, and Liquid Carbon (did some tube rolling with all of the tube amps) None really stood as a clear improvement in sound over a Fiio X5iii or LG V30 phone

I am very surprised by this assessment.

May 4, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #3,232 of 9,653
I'm searching for a spare HD 660 S Pentaconn cable. Does anyone have more info or one for sale?

May 5, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #3,233 of 9,653
Yes, and if you read my last post, you'll discover that I stated that the 600 is Senn's benchmark (H6) series Can.
But, there is a definitive caveat, regarding this headphone.
So, let me explain it to those who dont understand what is "UP" with this headphone, regarding WHY its still around.

You have to understand the context of this Headphone's staying power.

This headphone has been around a very long time.
It was created at a time, when we didn't have a "head-fi" forum, and at a time when the idea of headphone listening was not the worldwide obsession you find today.
So, it was sort of the first great one out there, which means its enjoyed a very long head start on all the others.
And because it was the FIRST great one, it's Legendary and Iconic because of this, as well as because it sounds really good.
Win + Win.
So, when you have the first of something, that becomes legendary, then you have decades of hype and reviews that are miles thick that keep it going., keep it Alive.
The fact is, .. this headphone is now the Stradivarius of "audiophile" headphones, YET, its not because its still the best sounding, but because its the first great one of its kind, at that time.
So, this mountain of hype that was created all these years regarding it, keeps this bad boy in the game., and THAT is why its still the "go to" if you are brand new to this audiophile arena.
You literally will be directed to it, if you are not familiar with headphones and IF you have become mentally stuck with "i want an audiophile" product.
The internet will ONLY lead you directly to the Senn HD600,
Thats a fact, and Senn is so very happy about this that they keep on making it while taking forever and a day, to finally create the HD660S.

Part 11 of this is simple..........If this headphone was created in 2018, it would not be on Tyll's wall, and it would not necessarily be a headphone that everyone has owned or wants if you are new to this addictive game of chasing the "best" sound.

So, yeah, its great, but its great because its kinda lke a 1969 Chevelle SS.
Everybody who $$$$$$$ collects "muscle cars" wants this "great" Legend., as its a great looking car, but, if you compare it to even a 2018 Kia as regarding performance, ride, comfort, AC, QC, all of this, then its a fail in 2018.
But , because its a LEGEND from the Past, it has the same intrinsic (built in) marketing desirability as the Senn HD600, and for exactly the same reason.

I've never read so much wrong in a single post on this forum before. That is impressive considering this is HF.

Rather than actually engage in what will be a tiring and uninformative discussion, I will just say that Beyerdynamic and AKG were crafting legendary headphones back then as well, which kind of throws a wrench in your whole "it's only sought after because of it's legacy" argument. Why hasn't AKG and Beyer gotten the same treatment? Could it possibly be because the 600 series stands the test of time based on it's sound rather than legacy?

Hmm....I wonder...

May 5, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #3,234 of 9,653
I've never read so much wrong in a single post on this forum before. That is impressive considering this is HF.

Rather than actually engage in what will be a tiring and uninformative discussion, I will just say that Beyerdynamic and AKG were crafting legendary headphones back then as well, which kind of throws a wrench in your whole "it's only sought after because of it's legacy" argument. Why hasn't AKG and Beyer gotten the same treatment? Could it possibly be because the 600 series stands the test of time based on it's sound rather than legacy?

Hmm....I wonder...

Beyer and akg stuff has also endured. Its just that they focus on pro side of market, their marketing and sound follow requirements of those customers.

Hd600 had both, sound AND first mover advantage. Thats why its successful even today.

If sennheiser releases same hp with different branding, it would sell in very low nos.

May 5, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #3,235 of 9,653
I've only listened to the 660s for a short period, and I can say it does sound as pretty plain as I heard it in a meet. I didn't think there was any real characteristic made these provided a wow factor of any kind. It sounds like a tighter HD650 response with less warmth. Doesn't sound like there's something significant about the response to point out as drastic flaw, but I will also say that there isn't anything I'd say, it does so well, it's superior in certain respects. I wouldn't say treble is all smooth, and definately not like HD650. There's 6k articulation with these, and sibliance presence is heard around 5-6k. It has that Sennheiser sound, that you hear with the other in the series, and HD800 series to a degree. I personally am not much of a Sennheiser sound person.

I cannot believe why these are warrant a significant more price tag? I personally find the finishing on the HD600 or the 650 better, and overall HD650 looks the best. HD660s looks the cheapest with dull finish look(with plasticky feel, wondering if it's the lightest?). I rewatched Tyll's review and I have to agree with the most part. There's nothing new here. It's nothing revolutionary, and it's been a long time since they have done something significant(we'll have to see how HD820 fares, I've never been a fan of HD800(s)).

I have to listen more, but initial impression is nothing impressive or horrible, just slightly different HD600 or HD650. Sounds less dynamic than the Focals. Focals tend to be more aggressive. I personally don't mind not being that punchy in dynamics. Vocals are fairly plain sounding, can't say really all that articulate.

I do not have the HD650, 600, 6XX, to compare, but based on memory of the HD650, it's a similar sound with slight differences(just that HD650 is warmer). It doesn't sound really better IMO.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #3,236 of 9,653
I've only listened to the 660s for a short period, and I can say it does sound as pretty plain as I heard it in a meet. I didn't think there was any real characteristic made these provided a wow factor of any kind. It sounds like a tighter HD650 response with less warmth. Doesn't sound like there's something significant about the response to point out as drastic flaw, but I will also say that there isn't anything I'd say, it does so well, it's superior in certain respects. I wouldn't say treble is all smooth, and definately not like HD650. There's 6k articulation with these, and sibliance presence is heard around 5-6k. It has that Sennheiser sound, that you hear with the other in the series, and HD800 series to a degree. I personally am not much of a Sennheiser sound person.

I cannot believe why these are warrant a significant more price tag? I personally find the finishing on the HD600 or the 650 better, and overall HD650 looks the best. HD660s looks the cheapest with dull finish look(with plasticky feel, wondering if it's the lightest?). I rewatched Tyll's review and I have to agree with the most part. There's nothing new here. It's nothing revolutionary, and it's been a long time since they have done something significant(we'll have to see how HD820 fares, I've never been a fan of HD800(s)).

I have to listen more, but initial impression is nothing impressive or horrible, just slightly different HD600 or HD650. Sounds less dynamic than the Focals. Focals tend to be more aggressive. I personally don't mind not being that punchy in dynamics. Vocals are fairly plain sounding, can't say really all that articulate.

I do not have the HD650, 600, 6XX, to compare, but based on memory of the HD650, it's a similar sound with slight differences(just that HD650 is warmer). It doesn't sound really better IMO.

I only wonder why you listen to it at all? And how can you compare from memory? I for sure cannot and do not do such things.

May 5, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #3,237 of 9,653
I only wonder why you listen to it at all? And how can you compare from memory? I for sure cannot and do not do such things.
I am a curious one, and I will have more extended listening. I will provide any more interesting developments, thoughts during the impressions.

You are right, memory isn't reliable, and doesn't work for precise AB. HD650 was my go to for a very long time, so I have that level of familiarity.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #3,238 of 9,653
I listened to Dt1990,HE500,K702 for a fair 2 hours and i would pick my HD660 S for musical enjoyment easily while they all being at the fairly same technical level with former 2 doing some things better,giving a sliight nod to HE500 due to the very realistic,detailed mids but sub bass was really lacking(maybe not enough current from amp).

For me the N6/mojo/HD 660 S combo is great and one of the most addicting sounds i heard the past 5 years without lacking anywhere and that includes the crispy,rich treble unlike HD650 which is too subdued for my taste while having comparable level of vocals.

May 5, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #3,239 of 9,653
I am a curious one, and I will have more extended listening. I will provide any more interesting developments, thoughts during the impressions.

You are right, memory isn't reliable, and doesn't work for precise AB. HD650 was my go to for a very long time, so I have that level of familiarity.
And could you include the gear used to drive the HD660S to make your findings compareable, please?

May 5, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #3,240 of 9,653
I listened to Dt1990,HE500,K702 for a fair 2 hours and i would pick my HD660 S for musical enjoyment easily while they all being at the fairly same technical level with former 2 doing some things better,giving a sliight nod to HE500 due to the very realistic,detailed mids but sub bass was really lacking(maybe not enough current from amp).

For me the N6/mojo/HD 660 S combo is great and one of the most addicting sounds i heard the past 5 years without lacking anywhere and that includes the crispy,rich treble unlike HD650 which is too subdued for my taste while having comparable level of vocals.

Haven't spent much time with the HE-500 at all and I'm not a huge fan of the K702, only really liked the K712 of the K7 series. Between the HD 660 S and DT 1990, that's a tough one for me, I'd say it would come down to the system I'm listening to the headphone on, some systems the HD 660 S was better and some the DT 1990 was better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back