1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by Levanter, Oct 8, 2017.
First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Next

Last
  1. wazzupi
    Would the hd660s still benefit from a tube amp like the hd650 does ?

2. Jodet
    Moon Audio says the Focal Clear will be available November 17th.

I wonder when the 660's will be shipping?

3. Jodet
    My 700's sound spectacular on a tube amp. I imagine it would be the same with the 660's.

Malfunkt, FastAndClean and wazzupi like this.
  4. DoctaCosmos
    Oh I’m fine after listening to them last night lol. They sound off with pretty much any genre but classical but omg what they do for it is sooo good.

Hooster likes this.
  5. Monsterzero
    Indeed....Love my HD250! Its truly a lovely sounding headphone.

Malfunkt likes this.
  6. DecentLevi
    Anyone with this notion has had the misfortune to pass over the Sennheiser HD-380 Pro's, to which I say are drastically underrated...

Good point but unfortunately for my experience anyway, I have yet to hear any Ultrasones without that harsh treble glare, though I've tried at least 8 models I could have missed their more neutral closed-backs.
    If you like the HD-250 or 280, you've GOTTA read my below quote in its' entirety :darthsmile::grinning:

Below is a quote of my basic impressions on another thread having been essentially graced with the opportunity to try the Senn. HD-380 Pro by random chance; the Pro version I believe is a newer revision of an older model. So after trying hundreds of closed-backs I discover that against all odds, a lower model number from Sennheiser actually does the trick (for my ears anyway) with far more finesse with bass definition, dynamics, soundstage, frequency extension, etc. etc. that are basically impeccable, and all for the cost of... a pair of running shoes perhaps! And best of all, it's a nice compliment to the sound of the HD-650 - sounding much more detailed / impactful and a large departure from the Sennheiser 'house sound' I've become accustomed to, in a very good way.

PS- Check out this amazing FR graph to boot (here)... looking about the same as the HD-280 which I also thought sounded tonally similar, yet the 380 Pro excelling in several regards.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Raketen, volly and Evshrug like this.
  7. Evshrug
    The HD 660 S will also be a hugely educational headphone for those that own or have heard the HD 650, because the latter is such a common reference point between enthusiasts. They were both designed to have essentially the same frequency response (tonal balance), but even so, the HD 660 S clearly sounds like a different headphone anyway. An objective lesson in how frequency graphs only tell part of the "story," and I think reviewers will learn to describe timbre, impulse recovery from note to note (which affects PRaT if you've seen that acronym before), and other aspects of sound in addition to the tonal balance.

I'm excited! The art of reviewing and the progress of audio gear are linked and feed into each-other, and music & gaming audio are advancing and becoming more available to explore than ever before; this is a great time to be an enthusiast!

Beagle likes this.
  8. FastAndClean
    The driver speed is very important thing, you can have the same frequency response with two different drivers but the faster driver will sound different because it will recover quickly from note to note, HD700 driver is very fast for dynamic, that headphone will be huge success for sure.

9. PeteMtl
    Have you had the chance to try the HD660?

10. castleofargh Contributor
    you don't really know if that's true. when do you get to try 2 headphones with a strictly identical signature and only different speed(whatever it is you really mean by speed), that could let you draw conclusions about that specifically?
    also are we sure now that it's a hd700 driver? or is it just that it looks similar?

11. Harry Manback
    How is the driver "speed" measured? Is it described in one of the specs given by Senn? To my knowledge (meaning, I'm probably wrong), driver "speed" would be a function of the surface area of the membrane, and the magnetic flux strength of the magnet, and the available power.

12. phthora
    I think it would suffice to compare small portions of FR, volume match them, and then to CSD or measured impulse response to determine which is the "faster" driver. Assuming that is the way to do it, would differences in speed on the scale of microseconds or milliseconds be audible? Assuming they are audible, does that mean objectively better or subjectively more pleasant? Assuming that it does, what priority would speed have among audible elements of the sound? It's difficult to tell what the OP was suggesting.

13. pietcux
    I am afraid that conventional microphones used for such measurements are probably also too slow to represent driver speed correctly. I think with a proper setup laser you have a real chance to measure driver speed.

phthora likes this.
  14. banco-sg
    Have you gotten your HD660S yet? Can't wait for your impression

15. Beagle
    One of the best ways of testing a headphone is by putting it on ones head and listening, then doing the same thing with the "old" headphone. The results will tell you what measurements may or may not. Which method sounds more reliable?

Hopefully we will see some feedback from Jude in the near future, with a direct comparison with the HD650 and HD700.

JoePR31, Sennheiser and DougD like this.
First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Next

Last