Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 17, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #184 of 9,626
Me too, pretty much. Don't be annoyed. The 600s are great cans. Just enjoy them and don't go running after the next great thing. Look on the bright side. The price of 660 will surely come down after a few years.
Oh I’m fine after listening to them last night lol. They sound off with pretty much any genre but classical but omg what they do for it is sooo good.

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #185 of 9,626
Sennheiser made an 'audiophile closed headphone' for many years. It was so good (HD540/560/580/600 standard at least) that it was put back in production by demand a decade or so ago.

The headphones was called the HD250, later HD250 II. It really should be re released for the third time by Sennheiser. Otherwise try a ((((beyer DT150 if you want a headphone in a similar class.

Indeed....Love my HD250! Its truly a lovely sounding headphone.

Oct 18, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #186 of 9,626
Owned HD600/HD650. Really liked those. Understand the better open headphones are gold standard. Problem is increasingly noisy world and many do not reside in relatively quiet environments. Closed headphones are requirement unless listener chooses to listen in scarce moments when outside sound levels are diminished. Have waited years for Sennheiser to manufacture a audiophile closed headset with their resources and scale to keep prices reasonable, but afraid Sennheiser have conceded closed market segment to smaller manufacturers such as Mr.Speakers. Current Sennheiser closed headphones I've listened to have been middle-of-the-road at best. Please Sennheiser consider manufacturing enthusiast closed headphone.
Anyone with this notion has had the misfortune to pass over the Sennheiser HD-380 Pro's, to which I say are drastically underrated...

For closed back HPs, I recommend trying Ultrasone HPs.
Good point but unfortunately for my experience anyway, I have yet to hear any Ultrasones without that harsh treble glare, though I've tried at least 8 models I could have missed their more neutral closed-backs.
Sennheiser made an 'audiophile closed headphone' for many years. It was so good (HD540/560/580/600 standard at least) that it was put back in production by demand a decade or so ago.

The headphones was called the HD250, later HD250 II. It really should be re released for the third time by Sennheiser. Otherwise try a ((((beyer DT150 if you want a headphone in a similar class.
Indeed....Love my HD250! Its truly a lovely sounding headphone.

If you like the HD-250 or 280, you've GOTTA read my below quote in its' entirety :darthsmile::grinning:

Below is a quote of my basic impressions on another thread having been essentially graced with the opportunity to try the Senn. HD-380 Pro by random chance; the Pro version I believe is a newer revision of an older model. So after trying hundreds of closed-backs I discover that against all odds, a lower model number from Sennheiser actually does the trick (for my ears anyway) with far more finesse with bass definition, dynamics, soundstage, frequency extension, etc. etc. that are basically impeccable, and all for the cost of... a pair of running shoes perhaps! And best of all, it's a nice compliment to the sound of the HD-650 - sounding much more detailed / impactful and a large departure from the Sennheiser 'house sound' I've become accustomed to, in a very good way.

Not yet getting to hear the Eikon or Atticus, I have heard their Omni as well as many other closed-backs several times each including the entire line from AKG, ATH, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Denon, Ultrasone, Focal, Bose, Pioneer, Sony, B&O, Oppo, V-Moda, Meze, Yamaha, JBL, Shure, Crosszone and many more. This was done over 3 days at likely the world's largest headphone stores, in Tokyo and Osaka using a decent source. As I was seeking the perfect low cost closed-back, the ZMF offerings are in a higher tier, as well as what many regard as the ultimate closed 'can which is the Ether C Flow from Mr. Speakers. To me, the newer HD-380 Pro were the most tonally correct, proper, detailed and extended of all at the mid-tier range.

Thinking I had already found my summit with the Focal Spirit Classic, with the Senn. HD-280 not far behind, I was prompted to find a HD-380 Pro to demo. Believe me after all this I was not expecting a lower model number from the Sennheiser line to outdo everything else I've tried, and I was in as much disbelief during my multiple listening sessions as some of you may be reading this. It has tight bass that extends extremely deep, dynamics that are immediately fast / tight / snappy, what seems to be 100% perfect tonality / voicing, natural highs and perhaps a holographic soundstage. Their are angled drivers and unusually large cup size allow for an immersive soundstage (Eargonomic Acoustic Refinement technology which angles the transducer to the optimal listening position). Comparing it to their other somewhat new closedback HD-569, which are to me like a closed version of the HD-650, I found the latter to sound quite dull and mid-centric by contrast, wheras the HD-380 Pro was lifelike, sweet and extended... and with absolutely 0 veil. This is a large departure from the 'house sound' of the Sennheiser line, IMO sounding nothing like the HD-650 - perhaps akin to a blend of the Beyer. DT-770 (on a good amp) and the Senn. HD-800, but with deeper bass. At only $130 new (or less used), these punch far above their pricepoint for closedbacks.

If I had any gripes, it may be just that the soundstage is could be too large at times, and the clamp is somewhat strong, yet with great isolation. Here is a review video from Woo Audio

(and note the cable is detachable. There are a few other negative video reviews, but those were older revisions or poorly amped). These are truly something you've got to try to believe.

PS- Check out this amazing FR graph to boot (here)... looking about the same as the HD-280 which I also thought sounded tonally similar, yet the 380 Pro excelling in several regards.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #187 of 9,626
Transients will be quicker than the hd650, that will contribute to the cleaner sound, not only the measurements

The HD 660 S will also be a hugely educational headphone for those that own or have heard the HD 650, because the latter is such a common reference point between enthusiasts. They were both designed to have essentially the same frequency response (tonal balance), but even so, the HD 660 S clearly sounds like a different headphone anyway. An objective lesson in how frequency graphs only tell part of the "story," and I think reviewers will learn to describe timbre, impulse recovery from note to note (which affects PRaT if you've seen that acronym before), and other aspects of sound in addition to the tonal balance.

I'm excited! The art of reviewing and the progress of audio gear are linked and feed into each-other, and music & gaming audio are advancing and becoming more available to explore than ever before; this is a great time to be an enthusiast!

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #188 of 9,626
The driver speed is very important thing, you can have the same frequency response with two different drivers but the faster driver will sound different because it will recover quickly from note to note, HD700 driver is very fast for dynamic, that headphone will be huge success for sure.

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #189 of 9,626
The HD 660 S will also be a hugely educational headphone for those that own or have heard the HD 650, because the latter is such a common reference point between enthusiasts. They were both designed to have essentially the same frequency response (tonal balance), but even so, the HD 660 S clearly sounds like a different headphone anyway. An objective lesson in how frequency graphs only tell part of the "story," and I think reviewers will learn to describe timbre, impulse recovery from note to note (which affects PRaT if you've seen that acronym before), and other aspects of sound in addition to the tonal balance.

I'm excited! The art of reviewing and the progress of audio gear are linked and feed into each-other, and music & gaming audio are advancing and becoming more available to explore than ever before; this is a great time to be an enthusiast!

Have you had the chance to try the HD660?

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #190 of 9,626
The driver speed is very important thing, you can have the same frequency response with two different drivers but the faster driver will sound different because it will recover quickly from note to note, HD700 driver is very fast for dynamic, that headphone will be huge success for sure.
you don't really know if that's true. when do you get to try 2 headphones with a strictly identical signature and only different speed(whatever it is you really mean by speed), that could let you draw conclusions about that specifically?
also are we sure now that it's a hd700 driver? or is it just that it looks similar?

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #191 of 9,626

How is the driver "speed" measured? Is it described in one of the specs given by Senn? To my knowledge (meaning, I'm probably wrong), driver "speed" would be a function of the surface area of the membrane, and the magnetic flux strength of the magnet, and the available power.

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #192 of 9,626
you don't really know if that's true. when do you get to try 2 headphones with a strictly identical signature and only different speed(whatever it is you really mean by speed), that could let you draw conclusions about that specifically?
also are we sure now that it's a hd700 driver? or is it just that it looks similar?

I think it would suffice to compare small portions of FR, volume match them, and then to CSD or measured impulse response to determine which is the "faster" driver. Assuming that is the way to do it, would differences in speed on the scale of microseconds or milliseconds be audible? Assuming they are audible, does that mean objectively better or subjectively more pleasant? Assuming that it does, what priority would speed have among audible elements of the sound? It's difficult to tell what the OP was suggesting.

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #193 of 9,626
I think it would suffice to compare small portions of FR, volume match them, and then to CSD or measured impulse response to determine which is the "faster" driver. Assuming that is the way to do it, would differences in speed on the scale of microseconds or milliseconds be audible? Assuming they are audible, does that mean objectively better or subjectively more pleasant? Assuming that it does, what priority would speed have among audible elements of the sound? It's difficult to tell what the OP was suggesting.
I am afraid that conventional microphones used for such measurements are probably also too slow to represent driver speed correctly. I think with a proper setup laser you have a real chance to measure driver speed.

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #194 of 9,626
I am afraid that conventional microphones used for such measurements are probably also too slow to represent driver speed correctly. I think with a proper setup laser you have a real chance to measure driver speed.
Have you gotten your HD660S yet? Can't wait for your impression

Oct 18, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #195 of 9,626
One of the best ways of testing a headphone is by putting it on ones head and listening, then doing the same thing with the "old" headphone. The results will tell you what measurements may or may not. Which method sounds more reliable?

Hopefully we will see some feedback from Jude in the near future, with a direct comparison with the HD650 and HD700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back