Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 18, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #196 of 9,618
One of the best ways of testing a headphone is by putting it on ones head and listening, then doing the same thing with the "old" headphone. The results will tell you what measurements may or may not. Which method sounds more reliable?

Hopefully we will see some feedback from Jude in the near future, with a direct comparison with the HD650 and HD700.
You are right, I also wanted to express that such measurements are not telling all you need. Our ears are still the best measurement rig. I have one unit incoming. In Germany they could be ordered last week already. But Sennheiser messed something up with my order. I still habe no shipping confirmation.

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #197 of 9,618
One of the best ways of testing a headphone is by putting it on ones head and listening, then doing the same thing with the "old" headphone. The results will tell you what measurements may or may not. Which method sounds more reliable?

Hopefully we will see some feedback from Jude in the near future, with a direct comparison with the HD650 and HD700.
Yep, I'm a big fan of letting your ears be the deciding factor regardless of reviews or commentary.

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #198 of 9,618
Have you had the chance to try the HD660?

Yes! Two different samples. I back up what Jude said, it clearly has the nice body and tonal balance that made the HD 650 an enjoyable HiFi headphone without being an acquired taste or fatigue endurance test, and yet despite the treble having the same balance against the rest of the frequency response, the HD 660 S does seem more alert and agile, while also clearing the "grain" that would sometimes strain the venerable HD 650. The comfort is different too. The HD 660 S still has a "head-hug" and feels secure, but the clamping pressure is reduced a noticeable amount from the HD 650 I'm wearing right now (listening to "Mist and Shadow - Acoustic" by The Sword).

How is the driver "speed" measured? Is it described in one of the specs given by Senn? To my knowledge (meaning, I'm probably wrong), driver "speed" would be a function of the surface area of the membrane, and the magnetic flux strength of the magnet, and the available power.

It's not in the product specs... it's not usually something measured. I like to refer to this as "Impulse Response," to indicate how the driver can respond and change directions to new magnetic impulses. Impulse response is the capability, PRaT (Pace, Rythmn, and Timing) is the effect. "Speed" is too general to use, because all the timing of music notes following each other is still the same regardless, but a headphone with poor impulse response would have notes bleed into eachother a little bit. Anyone else have a better term for this?

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #199 of 9,618
On the en-uk sennheiser website, on the hd660s page there are 4 reviews already.... 2 of them seem very unreliable but the other 2 seem legit....

This one seems very detailed actually....

Quoting... Take this with a truckload of salt of course.....

HD 800 S JUNIOR: OR THE HEADPHONE THE HD 700 SHOULD HAVE BEEN

At quick glance, the HD 660 S may look like a modified HD 650 with HD 700 drivers transplanted inside of it, but that is where the similarities end. The HD 660 S offers the low-level detail characteristics that make the HD 800 so highly coveted among TOTL- and kilobuck-seeking audiophiles but with the HD 600's naturalness. In other words, remove the treble peaks that plague the HD 700 and, to a lesser degree, the HD 800, and retain the resolution of the HD 800 and you have the HD 660 S. Sennheiser has been removing the HD 650 from their site, and that alone suggests they have deep confidence in this new mainstream audiophile flagship product. I concur without equivocation, as I can see the HD 660 S easily inheriting the HD 650's throne to become the new go-to headphone among the community at large. In addition, I could see many of those who were less than thrilled with the HD 800's clinical sound (slightly withdrawn upper midrange and slightly boosted mid treble) going in ravenous droves after the HD 660 S. I really had to grasp at straws to find something negative to comment about these, and the only thing I could state is perhaps the retro looks may seen worn out or uninspired, but I personally am fond of this more classic, understated Sennheiser look over the gaudy Cyberman-like, space-age vibe of the HD 800 and HD 700. This is your atypical all-arounder with heightened technical abilities. Fast or slow, brash Bon Jovi or binotonous Beethoven, Sennheiser nailed this release with world-class expertise. Arguably, you could not do any better $999 and below. Amped and unamped, the HD 660 S is a force to be reckoned with, well-deserving of and highly recommended for a spot in the headphone stables of audiophiles seasoned and budding.

PRO:

At quick glance, the HD 660 S may look like a modified HD 650 with HD 700 drivers transplanted inside of it, but that is where the similarities end. The HD 660 S offers the low-level detail characteristics that make the HD 800 so highly coveted among TOTL- and kilobuck-seeking audiophiles but with the HD 600's naturalness. In other words, remove the treble peaks that plague the HD 700 and, to a lesser degree, the HD 800, and retain the resolution of the HD 800 and you have the HD 660 S. Sennheiser has been removing the HD 650 from their site, and that alone suggests they have deep confidence in this new mainstream audiophile flagship product. I concur without equivocation, as I can see the HD 660 S easily inheriting the HD 650's throne to become the new go-to headphone among the community at large. In addition, I could see many of those who were less than thrilled with the HD 800's clinical sound (slightly withdrawn upper midrange and slightly boosted mid treble) going in ravenous droves after the HD 660 S.

CON:

I really had to grasp at straws to find something negative to comment about these, and the only thing I could state is perhaps the retro looks may seen worn out or uninspired, but I personally am fond of this more classic, understated Sennheiser look over the gaudy Cyberman-like, space-age vibe of the HD 800 and HD 700.

BEST USES:

This is your atypical all-arounder with heightened technical abilities. Fast or slow, brash Bon Jovi or binotonous Beethoven, Sennheiser nailed this release with world-class expertise. Arguably, you could not do any better $999 and below. Amped and unamped, the HD 660 S is a force to be reckoned with, well-deserving of and highly recommended for a spot in the headphone stables of audiophiles seasoned and budding

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #200 of 9,618
Yes! Two different samples. I back up what Jude said, it clearly has the nice body and tonal balance that made the HD 650 an enjoyable HiFi headphone without being an acquired taste or fatigue endurance test, and yet despite the treble having the same balance against the rest of the frequency response, the HD 660 S does seem more alert and agile, while also clearing the "grain" that would sometimes strain the venerable HD 650. The comfort is different too. The HD 660 S still has a "head-hug" and feels secure, but the clamping pressure is reduced a noticeable amount from the HD 650 I'm wearing right now (listening to "Mist and Shadow - Acoustic" by The Sword). The HD 650 earpads are rounded like donuts, but the HD 660 S earpads are shaped more like bowls with more room on the inside.

It's not in the product specs... it's not usually something measured. I like to refer to this as "Impulse Response," to indicate how the driver can respond and change directions to new magnetic impulses. Impulse response is the capability, PRaT (Pace, Rythmn, and Timing) is the effect. "Speed" is too general to use, because all the timing of music notes following each other is still the same regardless, but a headphone with poor impulse response would have notes bleed into eachother a little bit. Anyone else have a better term for this?

Would you say the reduced clamping force and change in shape of the pads reduces strain on the pads? While I love the 650's, the gripe I had with them was the clamping force resulted in the pads turning into flat pancakes in no time at all (also due in part to my large head :smile_phones:), and the replacements are an absurd $50. If these were an overall lighter fit but still secure, such that the pads wouldn't be worn out in 6 months, that would be a big improvement methinks.

Edit: although with Sennheiser's love of proprietary-everything, this could have been done by design to make me buy more pads :) German engineering, as they say

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #202 of 9,618
Welp, this may be my end game if thats the case. I like the HD700, I love the HD600, and I want something between those two. Can't wait until tax season. Im gonna pick these up if teh other reviews are similar.

Oct 18, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #203 of 9,618
I wonder if they'll start selling for under the MSRP price @ other dealers :frowning2: I can dream right ?
Probably not for awhile.

Oct 18, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #206 of 9,618
This has made my choice very difficult pick up an Aeon from mr speakers or a potential upgrade to my hd650s
First Aeon Open backs just shipped out Monday. I just got mine today because I paid extra for the 2nd day air shipping. Reviews should be coming in soon for them.

Once people start getting their HD660S's in, and those reviews start coming out, it may become easier to decide.

As of now... we wait.

Oct 18, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #207 of 9,618
First Aeon Open backs just shipped out Monday. I just got mine today because I paid extra for the 2nd day air shipping. Reviews should be coming in soon for them.

Once people start getting their HD660S's in, and those reviews start coming out, it may become easier to decide.

As of now... we wait.
Woot... How is the soundstage?

Oct 18, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #208 of 9,618
Ich würde einfach HD660s kaufen und andere Kopfhörer vergessen... Sennheiser is like Mercedes or BMW, Mrspeakers is like a tuning shop for Japanese cars. I would just buy the German car and call it a day.

Oct 18, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #209 of 9,618
Woot... How is the soundstage?
Unfortunately I'm still at work so I haven't been able to listen to them yet. My cubicle doesn't block sound haha. I'll post impressions in the Aeon Open dedicated thread soon so I don't thread jack this thread. I'm about to leave so I'll update this comment with the link to that thread when I get home.
Link to that thread.

Ich würde einfach HD660s kaufen und andere Kopfhörer vergessen... Sennheiser is like Mercedes or BMW, Mrspeakers is like a tuning shop for Japanese cars. I would just buy the German car and call it a day.
They used to be but they don't modify other companies' headphones anymore. They only make their own stuff now and they're still relatively new at that.
A better comparison would be if Sennheiser is Mercedes, then MrSpeakers is Tesla.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #210 of 9,618

I understand what you are trying to say, but all this is pure sophism. A headphone is not a car. German headphones are not Mercedes or BMW (I own many Sennheisers and two Mercedes, I know how to differenciate a german car from a german headphones, and a car from a headphone).

You could have simply said that Sennheiser knows how to make a good headphones, has a lot of experience, and has a longer track record than Mr. Speakers or other brands.

You could have said that the 1997 HD600 (and the HD580 before it) and the 2003 HD650 are stunning achievements and are still considered very good headphones even today.

You could have said that the HD660s is the follow up to these extraordinary reference grade headphones (« reference » in the sense that all other upper middle to high end modern headphones have one day or another been compared to these Sennheisers).

You could have said that the new drivers inherit their quality from the past (HD600/650) and maybe from the recent past (HD700) and that therefore the HD600s are very promising headphones that should rise the bar again to the 600 series Headphones. We will see when we will be able to audition them.

No german or japanese car involved. P.s.: I love european and german cars, I had 5 Mercedes to this date and one Saab. I also had Mazdas and Toyotas in the past that were quite capable economical cars... none of them would be able to take the place of my Sennheiser headphones (look under my signature for the list of my current headphones).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back