Sennheiser HD660S... Finally a successor for the HD650?
Oct 17, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #166 of 9,628
Owned HD600/HD650. Really liked those. Understand the better open headphones are gold standard. Problem is increasingly noisy world and many do not reside in relatively quiet environments. Closed headphones are requirement unless listener chooses to listen in scarce moments when outside sound levels are diminished. Have waited years for Sennheiser to manufacture a audiophile closed headset with their resources and scale to keep prices reasonable, but afraid Sennheiser have conceded closed market segment to smaller manufacturers such as Mr.Speakers. Current Sennheiser closed headphones I've listened to have been middle-of-the-road at best. Please Sennheiser consider manufacturing enthusiast closed headphone.

They are the "father" of open back headphones after all.

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #168 of 9,628
Owned HD600/HD650. Really liked those. Understand the better open headphones are gold standard. Problem is increasingly noisy world and many do not reside in relatively quiet environments. Closed headphones are requirement unless listener chooses to listen in scarce moments when outside sound levels are diminished. Have waited years for Sennheiser to manufacture a audiophile closed headset with their resources and scale to keep prices reasonable, but afraid Sennheiser have conceded closed market segment to smaller manufacturers such as Mr.Speakers. Current Sennheiser closed headphones I've listened to have been middle-of-the-road at best. Please Sennheiser consider manufacturing enthusiast closed headphone.
For closed back HPs, I recommend trying Ultrasone HPs.

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #169 of 9,628
I second the Ultrasone for closed back....I have the Signature Studio now and the clarity and spaciousness of the sound is amazing. I guess you can attribute it to the S Logic driver design they use. It doesn't sound closed at all. It's not as comfortable as the HD650 though. I haven't tried other Ultrasone models but the Edition models, while more expensive, might offer improvements in comfort.

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #170 of 9,628
I have to say, I'm really happy about the upgraded driver. My HD 600's were one of the most comfortable headphones I ever owned, but the lack of a direct upgrade/update after almost 20 years made me kind of sad. However it seems like they haven't incorporated the angled drivers found in their newer lines. The angled drivers all seemed to help with center imaging and imaging in general. They also gave more space for those who had ears which flared away from their head more. I had really hoped for the angled drivers, but I guess this was the cheaper way to make an upgrade with the least re-tooling.

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #171 of 9,628
I second the Ultrasone for closed back....I have the Signature Studio now and the clarity and spaciousness of the sound is amazing. I guess you can attribute it to the S Logic driver design they use. It doesn't sound closed at all. It's not as comfortable as the HD650 though. I haven't tried other Ultrasone models but the Edition models, while more expensive, might offer improvements in comfort.
For comfortable and relaxed listening, I recommend Ultrasone Edition 5 Unlimited. Sometimes you can find it at a relatively reasonable price for Ultrasone (still very expensive though).

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #172 of 9,628
Shut up and take my money.
They actually have my money already. They only need to ship. Called them today. The guy said, oops, they did not ship, sorry!

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #173 of 9,628

Sennheiser made an 'audiophile closed headphone' for many years. It was so good (HD540/560/580/600 standard at least) that it was put back in production by demand a decade or so ago.

The headphones was called the HD250, later HD250 II. It really should be re released for the third time by Sennheiser. Otherwise try a ((((beyer DT150 if you want a headphone in a similar class.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #174 of 9,628
For comfortable and relaxed listening, I recommend Ultrasone Edition 5 Unlimited. Sometimes you can find it at a relatively reasonable price for Ultrasone (still very expensive though).

I’ve never heard anyone describe an Ultrasone as relaxed and comfortable listening. I’ve always heard they have terribly harsh treble.

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #175 of 9,628
I assume the HD660 will make the Focal Elear, the beyer Amiron, and all those other over priced 'improved' HD650s obsolete ?!?!

Here's hoping it will bring some sanity to the market :grin:

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #176 of 9,628
I’ve never heard anyone describe an Ultrasone as relaxed and comfortable listening. I’ve always heard they have terribly harsh treble.
Not on Edition 5, Jubilee 25, and Tribute 7.

Oct 17, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #178 of 9,628
Agreed. If it's a headphone worth having (actually good) then it probably won't drop in price for a good while. I think I'm in for one though! Want to compare to my 600/650.

Jude, as a current owner and fan of the HD650, I have custom cables (balanced and what not) for my HD650. Will these work on the HD660 or did they change the plugs? :grimacing:

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #179 of 9,628
Jude, as a current owner and fan of the HD650, I have custom cables (balanced and what not) for my HD650. Will these work on the HD660 or did they change the plugs? :grimacing:

@dasmodul, it's the same plug/jack configuration, so your custom cables should work just fine on the HD660S.

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #180 of 9,628
Awesome! Glad to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back