sennheiser hd650....
Jul 28, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #17 of 23
Ok, so now we have an idea of what sound you like. How about - what kind of headphone are you looking for?
-IEM (in ear monitor)
-on-ear can (supraaural)
-full-size can (circumaural)

Also, do you need some isolation? IEMs and closed-back cans have good isolation, while open-back cans have less to no isolation.

I'm sure we can all give you some good advice on what to consider if you narrow things down for us.

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #19 of 23

Quote:
Personally, I haven't heard the Shure SRH-840, but unless you have directly compared the Shures amped (suggestion for an amp would be appropriate too) with the 650 and the IE8, I think that is a misleading claim

I've used HD650 for over 2 years. I've listened to them amped and unamped. Without proper amping they won't realize their wonderful potential and will sound far worse than amped (and unamped) SRH-840 despite the difference in sound signature. I don't wont to force anyone, it's just my opinion.
IE8 are not in this contest :)

let's summarize: ampedHD650 > unamed AND amped SRH-840 > unamped HD650

My personal taste is in favour of the 840s but I rate the senns as better headphones it terms of detail and timbre which is important to many audiophiles :)

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #20 of 23
The hd650 would sound better but wouldn't have high volume (needs an amp). The ie8 has stronger bass and is much louder. Both sound great.
If you one day are planning to get an amp and want to use the headphones only for at home use then please get the hd650. If you are planning to use them on the go and don't see yourself getting an amp then please get the ie8.

The hd650 isn't a portable on the go type of headphone. All in all, the ie8 would make you a happy #$! no matter what.

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #21 of 23
I say go with the IE8.  Personally, it would irritate me knowing I had a hp like the HD650 without an amp.

Disclaimer:  I own the HD650, and have never listened to the IE8. 

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #22 of 23

Quote:
I've used HD650 for over 2 years. I've listened to them amped and unamped. Without proper amping they won't realize their wonderful potential and will sound far worse than amped (and unamped) SRH-840 despite the difference in sound signature. I don't wont to force anyone, it's just my opinion.
IE8 are not in this contest :)

let's summarize: ampedHD650 > unamed AND amped SRH-840 > unamped HD650

My personal taste is in favour of the 840s but I rate the senns as better headphones it terms of detail and timbre which is important to many audiophiles :)

Alright, YMMV.
@OP: have you considered the HD600? It's quite a solid performer, easier to drive meaning you could get by unamped for a while and not necessarily worse than the HD650 in terms of technical performance.

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #23 of 23

If you are just talking about SQ IMHO the 650’s are much better than the IE8’s. Yup, say out of an Ipod the 650’s will not go as loud as you might want in comparison to the IEM’s and an amp might be worthwhile - if you like to bang your head. But un-amped 650’s will still have a very obvious SQ benefit over the IE8’s and will respond better to improvements in source and amplification.

I use both of these phones daily, and while I am happy with IE8’s for portable use (without an amp) out of an Ipod Classic or a Cowon D2, at home I use the 650’s for serious listening. 

There is no contest, but I listen to acoustic music so some people’s milage might vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back