Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #13,219 of 46,499
There are a few all in one balanced DAC/Amps out there (mostly used), some close to that price range. Cables could be just converting the stock HD650 cable to balanced which costs about $3.

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #13,220 of 46,499
Quote:
whats the top 2 balanced amps for the hd650 budget : 500

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB-10.1/NFB10.1EN_Use.htm

i am very happy with this balanced dac/amp, audiogd NFB10
first time i plugged it in, my expression was.."wow what a big tall soundstage..a slight warm tilt, v nice  "
(moving up from a dacportLX , and HDP  :p )

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #13,223 of 46,499
Quote:
Can't find new 650s at a good price, I'd love to buy them at the ~$340 price they used to be. Anyone know where? Please don't suggest used ones as I'm not fond of buying used headphones.

Closest your going to get is Razordogaudio for $400.

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #13,224 of 46,499
$340 new? I'd be pissed if you found that, because I just got a lightly used pair for $325.
Quote:
Can't find new 650s at a good price, I'd love to buy them at the ~$340 price they used to be. Anyone know where? Please don't suggest used ones as I'm not fond of buying used headphones.

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #13,225 of 46,499
Quote:
if you're not budgeting for a balanced DAC too then it's kinda pointless.

Not true actually!

My setup is:
   source: Oppo BD83SE NuForce (unbalanced DAC 2 ch output)
   headphone amp: Sennheiser HDVD800 (with balanced output)
   headphone: HD650

The improvement when i switched to balanced headphone cable (custom Q-cable) is significative. I paid more for the balanced cable than i did for the headphone 7 years ago but it is worth every penny if you ask me
dt880smile.png
. Clearly shows that the HD650 had a lot of potential in it that was not released in my rig before I upgraded.

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #13,226 of 46,499
Quote:
This is my first post in the HD650 thread . Just wanted to say that I still think the 600/650s are 2 of the best headphones ever made in my opinion. I still use my 650s regularly especially with my new addition (HDVD800) they are outstanding. I do own the HD800s also and whilst they are 'better' I do find I reach for the 650s a lot . Maybe I like a warmer sound I don't know . I own /have owned the fiio 09k , burson 160ds, O2/odac and V800/200 and I can say based on hearing these the HDVD800 is the perfect match for the 800s and 650s . Plus I can leave both sets plugged in simultaneously and swap between them without worrying about plugging and unplugging all the time and potentially causing damage to the drivers(by mistake) . I've never owned a tube amp and I don't believe I can gain anything from having one but I am going to buy a bottlehead mainly for the fun of building it plus I do want to know what the 'tube sound' is like (even though I prefer knowing I have accuracy and low lower distortion) and reading through this thread it appears to be a good match for 'fun' listening sessions.

Welcome. I like your choices.  I've heard the HDVD800 with HD800 and think it is an excellent match.  But the HD800 still cause me to retreat at times due to over-emphasis of glare in voices, sibilance, or anything in that region.  

So I use the HD650, which never cause me to wish they had a different sonic signature.  Resolution is very good, especially after removing the foam and using Cardas Clear cables (still a good value, and technically much more advanced than what I've seen around).  

Resolution of the HD650 is very good, but not excellent, yet fully enough for me. Musicality, accurate tonality, and lack of coloration are the strengths (the HD700 I find terribly colored, sort of a "cupped hands" coloration).  

For DAC and amp: rather than spent more on a desktop system, I decided to go quality in my portable system.  Also, despite loving tubes, I was disillusioned by my WA6 (even after tube rolling) when I found that my $300 Arrow amp was much more involving and detailed.  

So I popped for (what doesn't seem expensive after receiving it) the Ray Samuels (RSA) SR-71B, new, updated version.  I use unbalanced inputs and both unbalanced (Cardas Clear Light) and balanced (Cardas Clear) cables.  I got info from Ray's choice of connector to the Cardas team, and they got in touch with Ray.  Cardas now seem willing to make them for anyone that requests it.  

The quality of this combo is without fault at anywhere near its price.  I feel no urge to get kilobuck desktop stuff (despite being a picky audiophile equipment glutton).  

I use the Meridian Explorer DAC and a very good Moon cable (copper) to the RSA amp.  The Meridian is underrated, extended, detailed and true to the music without forcing detail reproduction to the point where the tradeoff with proper timbre and transients is excessive. (On the road, I use my iPad v3 analog out, which is musical but lacking in some audiophile virtues... yet delightful.)

I'm about to test cables with the RSA and HD650: 
Cardas Clear balanced, 1.5m (RSA connector)
Cardas Clear Light unbalanced, 1m (1/8" from RSA unbalanced out). 
Cardas older headphone cable 3m (1/4" with solid metal adapter to 1/8", and with Grado adapter cable)
Stock cable (1/4" with solid metal adapter to 1/8", and with Grado adapter cable)

I'll let you know what I find.  My recollection is: 
Clear balanced > Clear Light unbalanced > Cardas headphone 1/4" > stock 1/4"

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #13,227 of 46,499
Quote:
Not true actually!

My setup is:
   source: Oppo BD83SE NuForce (unbalanced DAC 2 ch output)
   headphone amp: Sennheiser HDVD800 (with balanced output)
   headphone: HD650

The improvement when i switched to balanced headphone cable (custom Q-cable) is significative. I paid more for the balanced cable than i did for the headphone 7 years ago but it is worth every penny if you ask me
dt880smile.png
. Clearly shows that the HD650 had a lot of potential in it that was not released in my rig before I upgraded.

Sorry... let me rephrase... it's more worthwhile and the difference will be greater if you get a balanced DAC. If DAC is not balanced... then signal is not truly balanced. You still get improvements from what you're doing, just not the full potential of balanced HD650. The improvement you're hearing is more from the cable and the new amp (and possibly better output stage from your balanced parts of the amp).

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #13,229 of 46,499
Aug 7, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #13,230 of 46,499
I've had my balanced cables from BTG Audio for a couple weeks now, and I've got to say cables do matter.  And going balanced does matter too...

Its 8 strand SPC with a mini 4 pin XLR end.  I then had four 8 inch "ends" made as well.  This photo has the RSA end for my CLAS db/Rx Mk3B combo, but I'm also ready for my HiFi-M8 with 4 pin XLR.  And ends for 1/4" and 1/8" standard jacks, so this headphone is now mostly universal...

I just got the Enigma Audio Oracle 2 S cable for my HD650's and so far they're pretty amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back