Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #13,232 of 46,523
One of the online mail order stores gives you a better price if you put it in your cart.  Down $100 as I recall.  It is one of those that sell audiophile records and send out their email ads on the same day.  Narrows it down to 2.  :wink:

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #13,233 of 46,523
Quote:
I've had my balanced cables from BTG Audio for a couple weeks now, and I've got to say cables do matter.  And going balanced does matter too...

Its 8 strand SPC with a mini 4 pin XLR end.  I then had four 8 inch "ends" made as well.  This photo has the RSA end for my CLAS db/Rx Mk3B combo, but I'm also ready for my HiFi-M8 with 4 pin XLR.  And ends for 1/4" and 1/8" standard jacks, so this headphone is now mostly universal...

Only a suggestion to you. That is not the best way of storing your headphones. Think about the ear pads wearing out continuously. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #13,234 of 46,523
I did a brief comparison (re-listen) of my 4 types of cables with the HD650s.
All tests with high resolution or redbook from Meridian Explorer via Moon Blue Dragon V3 (Cu). 

Fair: Stock unbalanced from — barely shows the promise of the headphones. 

Much better: Cardas "headphone cable" 4.5m(!) (many years old) + adapter from 1/4 to 1/8", unbalanced — Musical, solid, great midrange, much better detail, treble is slightly soft, but improved over stock. 

Excellent: Cardas Clear Light 1m unbalanced 1/8" — detailed, neutral, flat, extended, solid, authoritative, revealing, excellent treble. Get lost for hours.

Superlative: Cardas Clear 1.5m balanced w/ RSA connector — delightfully exceeds the unbalanced, in part benefitting from the RSA balanced circuitry. Entrancing, transporting, realistic, beats expectations... and look/feel great!  Cardas does not oversell the Clear vs Clear Light, so for economy don't be afraid to use the Clear Light. Clear is said to have noticeable improvements but modest; I love them both. 

Aug 8, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #13,235 of 46,523
Quote:
I did a brief comparison (re-listen) of my 4 types of cables with the HD650s.
All tests with high resolution or redbook from Meridian Explorer via Moon Blue Dragon V3 (Cu). 

Fair: Stock unbalanced from — barely shows the promise of the headphones. 

Much better: Cardas "headphone cable" 4.5m(!) (many years old) + adapter from 1/4 to 1/8", unbalanced — Musical, solid, great midrange, much better detail, treble is slightly soft, but improved over stock. 

Excellent: Cardas Clear Light 1m unbalanced 1/8" — detailed, neutral, flat, extended, solid, authoritative, revealing, excellent treble. Get lost for hours.

Superlative: Cardas Clear 1.5m balanced w/ RSA connector — delightfully exceeds the unbalanced, in part benefitting from the RSA balanced circuitry. Entrancing, transporting, realistic, beats expectations... and look/feel great!  Cardas does not oversell the Clear vs Clear Light, so for economy don't be afraid to use the Clear Light. Clear is said to have noticeable improvements but modest; I love them both. 

Isn't this a topic for Sound Science? 

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #13,236 of 46,523
No, its someone telling exactly what they hear.
Others, may not hear the same difference.
Half blind people cant see as well as normal sighted people, so why do those who can't here a difference bag those who can.

So, the term YMMV, as always,applies.

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #13,239 of 46,523
The only point in sharing about cables here is to make available a list of options for the HD650, and over time to build up either consensus or disagreement about what people hear.  Everyone is welcome in that process.  

For those who don't hear differences, or just don't care about cables, that is totally valid.  I won't argue that you should, and you don't have to argue that there isn't a difference.  PS: Floyd Toole at the National Research Council of Canada found long ago that about 20% (IIRC) of folks have different or damaged hearing, and when tested against other listeners, reach different conclusions (about speaker preferences and sonic qualities, in that study). So there are a lot of us who differ, and with age, more and more of us.  Also, some are ultra-sensitive in certain ways due to ear-brain wiring and others are different; I believe these differences can be substantial.  But by being specific, such as is done in good reviews, one can draw inferences that help in auditioning or buying decisions.  Most everything I've bought has drawn on the listening of others, and my process of studying these reports to figure out which I trust and can relate to.  

Purchasing: keep in mind to use authorized dealers if you can, because warranty coverage requires this. Most Amazon "partners" and ebay sellers are not. The usual suspects who advertise here, and places like MusicDirect and AcousticSounds, are probably all authorized.  I had one issue on my first pair, and sent them to Sennheiser who replaced the drivers with new matching ones no questions asked.... other than for the purchase information. 

Good listening!

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #13,240 of 46,523
Quote:
No, its someone telling exactly what they hear.
Others, may not hear the same difference.
Half blind people cant see as well as normal sighted people, so why do those who can't here a difference bag those who can.

So, the term YMMV, as always,applies.

Or someone telling what they believe they hear? 

Aug 9, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #13,242 of 46,523
It is only semantics to those who don't get the underlying experience.  Sorry for you.  But don't make it wrong... hearing and caring of each person can be different. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #13,244 of 46,523
Quote:
And those are the reasons why I still think your posts should be on Sound Science.

Muxamed, please drop it. I love this thread cause of the common love we share for the HD 650. Don't wanna get this thread derailed and shut down.

It was fair for Stoney to post those impressions here, because it helped him appreciate the HD 650 more. Just cause your personal experience didn't agree with his, does not mean you can be rude about it. You are free to disagree with his observations, but it could clearly have been done with more grace. Suggestions would include using words such as IMHO, or YMMV, or even "I personally disagree". No need for snappy replies.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #13,245 of 46,523
Quote:
Muxamed, please drop it. I love this thread cause of the common love we share for the HD 650. Don't wanna get this thread derailed and shut down.

It was fair for Stoney to post those impressions here, because it helped him appreciate the HD 650 more. Just cause your personal experience didn't agree with his, does not mean you can be rude about it. You are free to disagree with his observations, but it could clearly have been done with more grace. Suggestions would include using words such as IMHO, or YMMV, or even "I personally disagree". No need for snappy replies.

I am very sorry if my post was interpreted as being impolite. It was not my intention at all. However I don't like when people are being deluded into believing in some kind of magic coming from premium cables. It would be far more fair from Stoney and other posters who promote "cable magic" to focus on more important thing like good sources, good source material and good amplification, things that really can bring advantges and make our HD650 sound magical, A premium cable is often more expensive than a nice amplifier and rarely brings any benefit at all, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back