Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #13,201 of 46,521
I would love to pick up the HD800 and HDVD800 to join with my 650s, that's a great setup you have there.

Aug 3, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #13,202 of 46,521
Just got a HD-650 for the second time. I had an old pair of HD-600s that lasted me almost 6 years, before they broke. I didn't take care of them to be honest (I originally got the 600's back during my transition period and didn't initially like them and they got roughed up during a move.) But I ended up realizing years later after going all the way up to the HD-800s, that the HD-600/650s were my favorite overall cans. I used my 600s for the past 3 years, always preferring them over whatever new headphone I was trying at the time. So after the 600s went down, I decided to just get the 650s this time.

Kind of funny how that works out. I spent so much time and money on this hobby (I know lol we all do), but sometimes your favorite headphones were right there in front of you the entire time. I actually have some LCD-2s that I love, but never use because of comfort). I've almost tried all the major headphones now, only thing I haven't tried at this point is STAX (or any electrostat) because of the price. Although I've read they are very analytical/fast and for some reason my ears get really irritated by high treble/peaks and or cans with high/quick detail retrieval. It's why I didn't like the HD-800, because it was physically causing me ear pains (to be fair, I was out of my league on that headphone. I didn't have a $1,000 + AMP/DAC to give it the right sound).

Anyways, I'm rocking the Schiit Lyr/Bifrost with my HD-650s. Really a sweet spot that I'm happy to stay with. :)

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #13,203 of 46,521
It's a shame you gave on the 800s they are outstanding on the right amp. The schitt rig you have now would do them justice I suspect. Having said that as much as I love the 800s for their addictive imaging/soundstage and how clean and transparent they are the beautiful sound of the 650s is unique and extremely addictive plus it's probably in some ways more satisfying . I'm very lucky (and poor as a result) to have both and whenever I'm listening to one I can't help wondering what the same song would sound like on the other! It's a nice problem to have and in many ways shows how good the 650s are and how they hold their own against the latest flagships.

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #13,204 of 46,521
Quote:
It's a shame you gave on the 800s they are outstanding on the right amp. The schitt rig you have now would do them justice I suspect. Having said that as much as I love the 800s for their addictive imaging/soundstage and how clean and transparent they are the beautiful sound of the 650s is unique and extremely addictive plus it's probably in some ways more satisfying . I'm very lucky (and poor as a result) to have both and whenever I'm listening to one I can't help wondering what the same song would sound like on the other! It's a nice problem to have and in many ways shows how good the 650s are and how they hold their own against the latest flagships.

You are in the exact situation I wanna be in later. Just saving up right now... once I reach my responsible saving goal... I'm gonna grab an HD800 with a Norse Audio Cable (cause I need a balanced one anyhow... and those ones are sooooo sexy)... and I'll be DONE! (at least for my home/desktop rig
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Aug 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #13,205 of 46,521
I will be updating my review with the DT880 included, once I get it back from MCA. It will help with people trying to decide between the DT880 and HD650. That being said, it won't be the traditional DT880(I got wood cups) so it might not help as much.

Also, would you guys want me to do a review on the HD650 with the Crack + Speedball once I get the Crack shipped to me and up and running?

Aug 3, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #13,206 of 46,521
Quote:

I would be open to giving them a shot again. I hate using Amazon's return policy (always feel guilty) but next time I have some money set aside, I'll try them out again on Amazon. When I had them at the time, they really burned my ears bad. I have really sensitive ears to certain sound signatures (unfortunately = /). I had to stay away from most of the Grado line, AKG etc. I actually loved the HD-800s, because I thought the detail was mind blowing. The comfort of them was light as air. They were actually the best listening experience I've had up to this point - UNTIL I would get the fatigue and irritation that would follow a day after listening (and no, it's not that I had the volume/mixing too loud). That said, at the time I wasn't amping them properly at all, so I would be open to trying again.

The only reason I got rid of mine at the time, was because I actually had burning pain in my ears that would last up to 3-4 days after listening to the HD-800s. The HD-700s wreaked havoc on me too lol (although that one for more obvious reasons lol)

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #13,213 of 46,521
I've had my balanced cables from BTG Audio for a couple weeks now, and I've got to say cables do matter.  And going balanced does matter too...

Its 8 strand SPC with a mini 4 pin XLR end.  I then had four 8 inch "ends" made as well.  This photo has the RSA end for my CLAS db/Rx Mk3B combo, but I'm also ready for my HiFi-M8 with 4 pin XLR.  And ends for 1/4" and 1/8" standard jacks, so this headphone is now mostly universal...

Aug 5, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #13,215 of 46,521
Quote:
I've had my balanced cables from BTG Audio for a couple weeks now, and I've got to say cables do matter.  And going balanced does matter too...

+1 HD650 balanced is superb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back