Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #13,186 of 46,520
Quote:
Well I have a two channel speaker system and the sound does not seem 
to come from the speakers. They disappear. I have a pair of Grado SR80's 
and a pair of modded Fostex t50rp's and the sound clearly comes from the 
headphones. I am looking for headphones that don't get in the way of the music.
I know that my headphones a entry level at best, and I am looking to upgrade. 
I have been looking to find out all I can about the HD650's and the 600's. Short 
of buying them I have to ask questions. Hope this explains my question.
Thanks

Ohhh very tough to reach true speaker-like invisibility with soundstage and imaging for headphones. Speakers/Headphones is a bit like comparing Cars and Motorcycles respectively. You pay a lot less for a motorcycle that can perform as well as a high-end sports car... but the high end car will achieve those performance levels with greater comfort without you "feeling it"...

You may be better served going with HD800s then... closest thing to real speakers from what limited listening that I've been exposed to (and from other reviewers).

If not that, the HD650/600 are still very, very good and musical, but will still sound like headphones in the end (albeit I would argue when paired well in a good rig, would rival very solid speaker systems in terms of resolution/detail). If you want a more immersive sound, I would argue that going fully balanced amp/DAC with these babies is the best option (sadly that comes at a significant price jump compared to other top single-ended options).

EDIT: If you're not looking to consider balanced, my vote goes to the AKG 701/702/712 series for good soundstage at a more budget cost (though these ones can sound a bit more analytical)

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #13,188 of 46,520
Quote:
Ohhh very tough to reach true speaker-like invisibility with soundstage and imaging for headphones. Speakers/Headphones is a bit like comparing Cars and Motorcycles respectively. You pay a lot less for a motorcycle that can perform as well as a high-end sports car... but the high end car will achieve those performance levels with greater comfort without you "feeling it"...

You may be better served going with HD800s then... closest thing to real speakers from what limited listening that I've been exposed to (and from other reviewers).

If not that, the HD650/600 are still very, very good and musical, but will still sound like headphones in the end (albeit I would argue when paired well in a good rig, would rival very solid speaker systems in terms of resolution/detail). If you want a more immersive sound, I would argue that going fully balanced amp/DAC with these babies is the best option (sadly that comes at a significant price jump compared to other top single-ended options).

EDIT: If you're not looking to consider balanced, my vote goes to the AKG 701/702/712 series for good soundstage at a more budget cost (though these ones can sound a bit more analytical)

Great answer, thanks for taking the time. You know I am new to this site and already have received more help than all my many years on the two channel sites. It is a breath of fresh air and makes my persuit for a heaphone system so much easier. 
Can the hd600/650 be used in a balanced mode? And if so what amps would I look at. 
Thanks

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #13,189 of 46,520
Quote:
Great answer, thanks for taking the time. You know I am new to this site and already have received more help than all my many years on the two channel sites. It is a breath of fresh air and makes my persuit for a heaphone system so much easier. 
Can the hd600/650 be used in a balanced mode? And if so what amps would I look at. 
Thanks

Yes the HD600/650 really shine in a balanced chain, it is as simple as changing the cable. I would recommend the Schiit Gungir/Mjolnir combo, but I am a self proclaimed Schiithead!

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #13,190 of 46,520
Bottlehead crack or Schiit Lyr.

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #13,191 of 46,520
Seems pretty tricky to get the Bottlehead in the UK. I'm gutted actually, I was well up for building my own. I think it's the Schitt then, can't complain, I guess.

Is the Graham Slee now superceded or am I comparing apples and oranges?

Aug 1, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #13,193 of 46,520
Quote:
Thanks

Quote:

Yes the HD600/650 really shine in a balanced chain, it is as simple as changing the cable. I would recommend the Schiit Gungir/Mjolnir combo, but I am a self proclaimed Schiithead!

Yes, a cable change is requried and +1 for the Mojo/Gungnir combo. I have had one for about 3-4 months now and I can certainly attest to it being an excellent pairing for the HD650. If you shop around and read some reviews I think you'll find it hard to get a better performing fully balanced rig for the price.
biggrin.gif

The other amp that I have heard was the HD600 being run out of a BUDA from HeadRoom, and IMHO took the soundstage of the HD600 to HD800 levels (single-ended)
blink.gif
... and yes I dare suggest, maybe even better than the HD800 running single-ended... (I mean in comparison at a local meet with the HD800 running out of a Lyr), though the HD800 was clearly still superior in resolution and detail.

Perhaps another option you could consider would be the all-in-one DAC/amp combo from Sennheiser themselves... the HDVD 800. I can only assume that the HD600/650/800 would pair very well with them since Sennheiser designed it with those models in mind.

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #13,194 of 46,520
i find the soundstage of the LYR relatively congested vs the Littledot Mk4se i had sidebyside then. 
sold both...now the darkvoice336se is something...gorgeous with the 650..that bloom, delicious.

Aug 2, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #13,195 of 46,520
New OCC silver cable, made by Chris_Himself (Headphonelounge Cables).

Light, flexible, and the sound is incredible! In other words, it's everything the stock cable isn't 
size]

Areas improved:
-Bass Impact
-Midrange presence and clarity
-Treble extension

We're not talking a subtle difference either. I used to be a cable skeptic, but my eyes have been opened.

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #13,196 of 46,520
Quote:

Light, flexible, and the sound is incredible! In other words, it's everything the stock cable isn't 
size]

Areas improved:
-Bass Impact
-Treble extension

We're not talking a subtle difference either. I used to be a cable skeptic, but my eyes have been opened.

Are these pure silver or the silver ray?  I looked on there website and didn't see anything
about it. 

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #13,197 of 46,520
Quote:

size]

Areas improved:
-Bass Impact
-Treble extension

Agreed, also use to be a bit of a skeptic, but the sonic difference is certainly audible. However, I do agree with most that the cost to performance ratio for cables makes them one of the last things that you should change in your rig. Other items in the chain such as DAC/amp are more worthwhile upgrades. Of course, once you're done and you seriously love a headphone that much and wanna milk out the last bit of quality... then cables seem to fit the bill, or if you simply have to get a balanced cable...
wink.gif
might as well get a nice one then.

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #13,198 of 46,520
way to go guys...the silver or silver ray or watever silver u can get.. yes, i am tempted to cut my "silver" n put in a 4pin xlr in betwix...
i heard a balanced b4, and the soundstage went outward in no small way. 
Y i am hesitating is becos each time i take the can out, it got stuck to my tubeamp...sighhhh.
beerchug.gif

Aug 3, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #13,199 of 46,520
This is my first post in the HD650 thread . Just wanted to say that I still think the 600/650s are 2 of the best headphones ever made in my opinion. I still use my 650s regularly especially with my new addition (HDVD800) they are outstanding. I do own the HD800s also and whilst they are 'better' I do find I reach for the 650s a lot . Maybe I like a warmer sound I don't know . I own /have owned the fiio 09k , burson 160ds, O2/odac and V800/200 and I can say based on hearing these the HDVD800 is the perfect match for the 800s and 650s . Plus I can leave both sets plugged in simultaneously and swap between them without worrying about plugging and unplugging all the time and potentially causing damage to the drivers(by mistake) . I've never owned a tube amp and I don't believe I can gain anything from having one but I am going to buy a bottlehead mainly for the fun of building it plus I do want to know what the 'tube sound' is like (even though I prefer knowing I have accuracy and low lower distortion) and reading through this thread it appears to be a good match for 'fun' listening sessions.

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #13,200 of 46,520
Quote:
This is my first post in the HD650 thread . Just wanted to say that I still think the 600/650s are 2 of the best headphones ever made in my opinion. I still use my 650s regularly especially with my new addition (HDVD800) they are outstanding. I do own the HD800s also and whilst they are 'better' I do find I reach for the 650s a lot . Maybe I like a warmer sound I don't know . I own /have owned the fiio 09k , burson 160ds, O2/odac and V800/200 and I can say based on hearing these the HDVD800 is the perfect match for the 800s and 650s . Plus I can leave both sets plugged in simultaneously and swap between them without worrying about plugging and unplugging all the time and potentially causing damage to the drivers(by mistake) . I've never owned a tube amp and I don't believe I can gain anything from having one but I am going to buy a bottlehead mainly for the fun of building it plus I do want to know what the 'tube sound' is like (even though I prefer knowing I have accuracy and low lower distortion) and reading through this thread it appears to be a good match for 'fun' listening sessions.

James, good to find another HD650/HD800 fan! The Senn's love a good OTL tube amp. You will likely find the Bottlehead Crack or the Decware CSP2+ a great compliment to your HDVD800.

Enjoy the ride!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back