Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 18, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #42,811 of 46,520
I love my HD650's even out of my iBasso DX200 or Zishan DSD Pro with no other amp in the chain

I wish I could say "I listen to my HD650 on a shtty little transistor radio from 1962 & it sounds awesome!!" -- but that would be a lie.

I can tell you I heard both a stock HD650 & the Jupiter Audio Research JAR650 (heavily modded) on 5 SS amps, ranging from modest price/power (M Stage Matrix HPA-1) to way more price/power (Violectric V281); plus a compact but nice OTL (Woo WA3). The two headphones sounded excellent on all these amps, but did scale to a degree w/greater SS power; and definitely sound quite good in predictable ways w/a good impedance match on the OTL.

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #42,812 of 46,520
customization, when it actually comes close to what you want or need, is almost always going to subjectively win over standard stuff IMO. the trouble being that good customization tools are still complicated and/or too damn expensive. and the rest focuses on partial solutions, so they're still a hit or miss depending on the user, as ironic as that can sound.
I haven't given up yet. That was just a first impression. I'm not going do knee jerk reaction and put it on eBay right away or anything like that.
One thing that surprised me was how well my LG G7 ThinQ drives it.

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #42,813 of 46,520
Recommend you burn the HP in for 100-150 hrs, then make decisions.

Burn-in is one of those topics that cause controversy, so take my comment for what it's worth. I've repeatedly heard sonic differences (usually positive) following burn-in of headphones and source components.

Will do. I think my disappointment probably comes from Amazon losing my Prime Day order that was supposed to be delivered today.

Jul 19, 2019 at 3:46 AM Post #42,814 of 46,520
Ordered Monday night. Here on Friday. All the way across the pacific.

Very first impressions, as in the two songs I have listened to so far.

-Bass, that bass is so much more defined.
-Soundstage is wider and imagining is notably present.
-Overall feels a lot more open,'airy' and effortless which are some of the classic descriptions I had heard the 6xx described as.

Coming from a poverty Dilvpoetry dac-x6.

Going to be a good night wearing this stack in.
B1649488-8DFA-4812-AE00-9396A91F4261.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #42,815 of 46,520
Hi all, I am new to this thread but have read few posts starting from page 2500 - 2600, still continue reading.

I got HD650 two weeks ago, it sounds decent with my S10+, M0, as the mW of DAP increased, like Hiby R6, WM1A and DAC/Amp DX3 Pro, I notice more and more layers of sound are open and instruments can be distinguished easily. Actually 300ohm is not difficult to drive, that's the beauty of HD650 as it changes the sound albeit with output power of digital source. :smile_phones:.

Will see how HD650 after 50 - 100 hours later. :darthsmile:

Jul 19, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #42,817 of 46,520
lol this thread is 13 years old. I would hope at this point that the HD650's and HD600's have been characterized sufficiently. It is unfortunate though that I still see people propagate the myth that they need or benefit significantly from a headphone amp because that's really not true unless you aren't getting the volume you want.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #42,818 of 46,520
lol this thread is 13 years old. I would hope at this point that the HD650's and HD600's have been characterized sufficiently. It is unfortunate though that I still see people propagate the myth that they need or benefit significantly from a headphone amp because that's really not true unless you aren't getting the volume you want.

I and many people would disagree with you. To me, without an amp, the HD650/HD600 are dull and lifeless, regardless of whether they are "loud enough." YMMV.

Jul 19, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #42,820 of 46,520
I'm going to have to agree with @RickB that the HD600/650 needs an amp but to me its not a "power" issue most of the time, its an issue with the synergy between the amp and headphone. As an example, my HD650 sounds different by just changing the output impedance of my Ember so this indicates to me that the output impedance of an amp has some effect on how they will pair with an individual headphone. The differences between the various output impedance settings is easily noticeable to some but to others there is little difference since we all hear differently.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #42,821 of 46,520
I'm going to have to agree with @RickB that the HD600/650 need an amp but to me its not a "power" issue most of the time, its an issue with the synergy between the amp and headphone. As an example, my HD650 sounds different by just changing the output impedance of my Ember so this indicates to me that the output impedance of an amp has some effect on how they will pair with an individual headphone. The differences between the various output impedance settings is easily noticeable to some but to others there is little difference since we all hear differently.
I think the big deal here is how when somebody posts that the HD650 needs a special amp with... big power number, OTL, balanced output or whatever other stuff he considers to be the legitimate cause of better sound for usually anecdotal reasons, he's in fact just talking about what he prefers using. which is often not even remotely related to concepts of fidelity or objectively improving electrical and mechanical behavior for the hd650. IMO, declaring that the hd650 needs whatever special kind of amplification(beyond basic power requirements for a sustained given SPL output), is the same as declaring that pasta needs tomato sauce. it's very fine to have that personal preference, and chances are that many do share that taste, but it's still only taste. there a line to draw between that personal preference, and going to declare a universal pasta fact on a forum. otherwise don't act surprised when the carbonara squad invades the topic to defend their own views. then there is always going to be the group thinking that some butter and a little salt is the best. and sooner or later we'll have a post from that one guy who likes to put his pasta with fries into a sandwich and doesn't get why nobody else does it.
IMO, the moment someones starts discussing taste in a way that makes it look like a fact about the headphone itself, any sort of argument is going to end with him being wrong for doing so in the first place.

I remember some brave member once posting about how he/she enjoyed the hd650 straight out of the computer's integrated soundcard at night because it gave a more ... "boomy?" low end or something like that(very likely related at least in part to the impedance output as you mentioned). that person's hd650 didn't need anything else at that moment.
with that in mind, I'm tempted to agree with President @Eisenhower's main point. but of course certain amp designs can and will have an impact on the sound of the HD650. some will like it, some won't, some will think it's a big deal, and some won't. on that you're absolutely right too. it's just not a need for the headphone. and if some special amp does lead to certain objective improvements, I believe we deserve to see it demonstrated with measurements and not just proclaimed out of nowhere.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #42,823 of 46,520
I think the big deal here is how when somebody posts that the HD650 needs a special amp with... big power number, OTL, balanced output or whatever other stuff he considers to be the legitimate cause of better sound for usually anecdotal reasons, he's in fact just talking about what he prefers using. which is often not even remotely related to concepts of fidelity or objectively improving electrical and mechanical behavior for the hd650. IMO, declaring that the hd650 needs whatever special kind of amplification(beyond basic power requirements for a sustained given SPL output), is the same as declaring that pasta needs tomato sauce. it's very fine to have that personal preference, and chances are that many do share that taste, but it's still only taste. there a line to draw between that personal preference, and going to declare a universal pasta fact on a forum. otherwise don't act surprised when the carbonara squad invades the topic to defend their own views. then there is always going to be the group thinking that some butter and a little salt is the best. and sooner or later we'll have a post from that one guy who likes to put his pasta with fries into a sandwich and doesn't get why nobody else does it.
IMO, the moment someones starts discussing taste in a way that makes it look like a fact about the headphone itself, any sort of argument is going to end with him being wrong for doing so in the first place.

I remember some brave member once posting about how he/she enjoyed the hd650 straight out of the computer's integrated soundcard at night because it gave a more ... "boomy?" low end or something like that(very likely related at least in part to the impedance output as you mentioned). that person's hd650 didn't need anything else at that moment.
with that in mind, I'm tempted to agree with President @Eisenhower's main point. but of course certain amp designs can and will have an impact on the sound of the HD650. some will like it, some won't, some will think it's a big deal, and some won't. on that you're absolutely right too. it's just not a need for the headphone. and if some special amp does lead to certain objective improvements, I believe we deserve to see it demonstrated with measurements and not just proclaimed out of nowhere.
This is true. Even with my shielded and isolated Chord Mojo vs my laptops headphone out, I could see how someone could prefer the laptops sound, since it's more forgiving in the high region and the bass is more emphasized due to more distortion, yet still sounds relatively tight.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #42,824 of 46,520
This is true. Even with my shielded and isolated Chord Mojo vs my laptops headphone out, I could see how someone could prefer the laptops sound, since it's more forgiving in the high region and the bass is more emphasized due to more distortion, yet still sounds relatively tight.
yup, something like that. and it could be basic preference, or just a matter of circumstances. I'm more into swapping DSPs and EQ settings than gears at home, but I will often pick something different if I'm watching a movie, or listening to music in the background while doing something else so I don't want the music to be distracting. and of course that will be a different story if I'm critically headbanging on something hardcore like Rachmaninov's piano concerto n°2.

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #42,825 of 46,520

Is your statement based on experience or just assumption/speculation wtihout experience? Have you heard the amp that DavidA is mentioning? Your words are just general remarks about stuff, we all understand those (taste differ, bla..). It's nothing new people share subjective experiences here. If you are human you do it with your friends and family too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back