Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 26, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #42,841 of 46,527
Well it takes all kinds doesn’t it. I think they are just awesome from a Crack and not so much from the QP1R but yes not bad but just not enough power for me not that I listen real loud but I have it almost maxed out as I do with the HD-800’s which I find so much better on the QP1R. Another setup I do find good with the 6xx’s is this.

Hiby R6 Pro with silver plated 2.5 balanced cable to a 4.4mm balanced connector. Still think the Crack is better but that is me. As long as you like it hat else matters.
Whoa an American that listens to powderfinger? Feelsgoodman

edit: Oh lol it is Neil Young's song not the band

Jul 27, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #42,842 of 46,527
There's always equalization. Fast and cheap.
Not a big fan of EQ. I can never get it "just right." Even trying others' presets, it never sounds "right" to me. Granted, I never tried EQ on the 650, but tried it with other headphones before that, and never happy with the results. The stock 598 sound is still the closest to "just right" that I've found for me.

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #42,843 of 46,527
Not a big fan of EQ. I can never get it "just right." Even trying others' presets, it never sounds "right" to me. Granted, I never tried EQ on the 650, but tried it with other headphones before that, and never happy with the results. The stock 598 sound is still the closest to "just right" that I've found for me.
I bought Audeze iSINE10 and the first use sounded like the singers had a blanket over their heads the mids were so recessed. A little EQ boost and BAM! they sound great.

Jul 27, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #42,844 of 46,527
Have you had a chance to listen to the 58x? I noticed in your previous post that you didn't like the mid forward sound of the 650. To me, the 58x fixes that issue. Just curious if you had a listen to the 58x , and what your thoughts were on them. Me personally , I prefer the 58x over both the 600 , and 650.
All subjective though. Some say that the 58x is grainy. Over a year with the 58x I myself have not experienced any grain whatsoever.
Cheers!

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #42,845 of 46,527
Have you had a chance to listen to the 58x? I noticed in your previous post that you didn't like the mid forward sound of the 650. To me, the 58x fixes that issue. Just curious if you had a listen to the 58x , and what your thoughts were on them. Me personally , I prefer the 58x over both the 600 , and 650.
All subjective though. Some say that the 58x is grainy. Over a year with the 58x I myself have not experienced any grain whatsoever.
Cheers!
+1 on this. I personally find the tonal balance and overall sound of the 58Xs to be my favorite between the 600, 6XX, and 58X after performing the foam damping to driver mod to the 58Xs. They all have their strong points, but the modded 58Xs are my favorite between the three at least for my ears, music, and listening preferences.

Jul 27, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #42,846 of 46,527
Cheers!

I agree, the 650 mid can be too much of good thing and this is very obvious with modern rock and metal, the reproduction of guitar can be way too forward with modern music but earlier rock was more v shaped so this isnt a problem in that situation. HD58X and HD660S fixed this definitely.

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #42,847 of 46,527
I agree, the 650 mid can be too much of good thing and this is very obvious with modern rock and metal, the reproduction of guitar can be way too forward with modern music but earlier rock was more v shaped so this isnt a problem in that situation. HD58X and HD660S fixed this definitely.
I find the mids to be the strength of the HD-650/6XX’s .I have not heard the 58X’s yet but have heard the 660S’s and believe it was a failed attempt to bridge the gap between the 600 and 650. While I don’t care much for the 600’s I would definitely take them over the 660S.

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #42,848 of 46,527
I find the mids to be the strength of the HD-650/6XX’s .I have not heard the 58X’s yet but have heard the 660S’s and believe it was a failed attempt to bridge the gap between the 600 and 650. While I don’t care much for the 600’s I would definitely take them over the 660S.

The mids are the strength of the HD650 if you listen to older rock music where it tends to be recessed. But for me and a few others here its too shouty on modern music, this also applies to HD600 which is actually a bit more shouty than HD650. HD660S a failure to your ears but a well worthy upgrade to to the 600/650 to my ears. I never get fatigue with HD660S but with the others i do.

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #42,849 of 46,527
The mids are the strength of the HD650 if you listen to older rock music where it tends to be recessed. But for me and a few others here its too shouty on modern music, this also applies to HD600 which is actually a bit more shouty than HD650. HD660S a failure to your ears but a well worthy upgrade to to the 600/650 to my ears. I never get fatigue with HD660S but with the others i do.
Well that is your perspective and I appreciate that but it is not what I hear so I guess we should leave it at that. I am not going to say you do not hear what you hear just saying I don’t hear it is all.

Jul 27, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #42,851 of 46,527
So, before joining headfi and buying my first hd650, I lurked in this thread for several years. In almost 15 years this thread is the most consistent and repetitious of any thread on any topic I've ever seen on any topic on the internet. It continuously says exactly the same things over and over and over. I won't say what those things are because if you've read the last 10 pages you've pretty much read the last 10 years. I guess that's a good thing....:deadhorse:

Jul 28, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #42,852 of 46,527

Just wonder, hod do you like the gravedigger cable?
Thinking about getting one but not that urgent.

Would you mind share some pictures of the cable?

Jul 28, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #42,853 of 46,527
It's a very nice cable, fantastic quality. It's the only custom cable I like the look of, I'm really not into braided jewelery cables or shoelace cables so this really is is quite perfect for me in the looks department. I would never spend more than that for an upgrade cable though I just wanted something higher quality than the stock cable with potential to improve the sound further.

My current camera doesn't do so well when capturing black but I will try to upload some later.
Theres plenty of pictures on the corpse cable website you can check out as well.

Jul 29, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #42,854 of 46,527
Just curious if you had a listen to the 58x , and what your thoughts were on them.

No, I have not heard the 58x yet. They are on my short list for consideration of next headphone purchase. I like what I'm reading from others' impressions, except for the grain some hear, but more importantly, the smaller soundstage compared to 6xx.

after performing the foam damping to driver mod to the 58Xs

What is this mod? Is this the same as the foam removal mod others have mentioned?

The mids on the HD600/HD650 have always been their biggest strength to me with a mix of old and new rock. I am a low volume listener, though.

I think you make a very important point. Volume and tonal balance are very much related when it comes to what people ultimately hear. I prefer to listen a bit loud (just a bit), just enough to feel the bass a bit. This may be why I prefer cans with slightly recessed vocals and why I found the 650 a bit too forward with some vocals. Of course, at low volume, no can should sound shouty.

Jul 29, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #42,855 of 46,527
Hi all!
I’m looking to purchase my very first DAP to use primarily with my HD650’s and would deeply appreciate any insight / guidance / experiences.

Ideally I wouldn’t need an additional external amp to drive them adequately. Streaming and WiFi connection isn’t important but would be nice. SQ is priority for me. So far I am considering:
-iBasso DX200/DX220
-Hiby R6 Pro
-Astell Kern Norma / SR15
-Astell Kern Kann
-Astell Kern AK300
-Sony WM1A
-Dethonray DTR1
-Fiio M11
-Questyle QP1/2R
-Shanling M5s
-QLS QA361

I know this is already a long list but also open to any & all further options if you have a DAP you’ve used with HD650/HD6xx’s that you’ve liked.

Thanks so much, everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back