Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #42,796 of 46,525
I appreciate the vote of confidence, but would argue that who posts and where is never a reason to take statements at face value. also your link doesn't work. :sweat_smile:
but really, it's very nice to read something positive for a change about Head-Fi's unwanted person child. thank you.

You're absolutely right about not taking every post at face value and I would never want to allude to that. I posted this for two reasons : the first one wast to try and help this new member educate himself pertaining to the main subject of his question. I've been a member since 2013 and I never knew certain aspects of this hobby until I began reading SS last year.

By being informed he might feel more confident about his decision & he might even save himself a lot of money (rabbit hole). The second reason is because I've learned so much myself ever since I've started reading Sound Science. I'm talking basics here that I've educated myself about by reading several posts written and shared by members I've selected to read; e.g. "myths and facts" posts and opinions of certain members have educated me and some of the facts have helped me tremendously. It's helped me open my eyes and close my wallet somewhat. I'm also enjoying my listening sessions more.

So, thanks. I mean it.

P.S. I wasn't trying to create a link. It was simply a "copy & paste" to make sure that the thread's title was accurate in case he wants to explore it.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #42,797 of 46,525
You might find helpful information in the "Sound Science" section of the Forums. There's a thread titled "ANY difference between balanced and single ended (other than volume & noise?)" I highly recommend the Sound Science section. The members who post are for the most part very knowledgeable about the science of audio sound and they cut through all the hype associated with this hobby. You'll find just about every answer to any questions you may have, again about the headphone hobby.

Thanks. I shall check it out. I just feel like if I have an amp with the option to use headphones balanced I may as well do so. Otherwise I feel like I'm not using the amp to it's full potential.

Jul 18, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #42,799 of 46,525
I thought the HD650s were supposed to sound crappy out of portable sources. I am listening out of a QP1R and it sounds delightful in high gain. It actually sounds better than out of my LPG.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #42,800 of 46,525
Just got my Drop HD6xx and I'm quite disappointed. Head to head with my Nuraphones the Nuraphones win hands down better in every way. That's with the Nuraphones personalized and connected with Bluetooth apt x HD.
This is my own personal opinion but I feel I wasted $200.00 on earphones that are inferior to what I already have.

The comparison was done with my Hiby R6 Pro.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #42,801 of 46,525
I thought the HD650s were supposed to sound crappy out of portable sources. I am listening out of a QP1R and it sounds delightful in high gain. It actually sounds better than out of my LPG.
What?! Heresy! Everybody knows that the HD 650 only sound good from OTL amplifiers capable of producing at least 5000mW and that can swing 120V, and the veil only lifts after you've spent half of your savings and most of your life tube rolling!

But also many portable rigs. Like my X5 + E12A setup. That also sounds good, but, shh, don't tell the others.

@Nailzs, sorry you're not enjoying the HD 6XX more. I've not heard the Nuraphones, but to get max enjoyment out of the Sennheisers, don't compare them side by side with other 'phones. On technicalities, my DT 1990 best them nine ways out of ten, so if I compare them side by side, the HD 650 pales by comparison. Where the HD 650/6XX excel, though, is with timbre and tonality, especially in the mids. I think some people find them to be un-detailed, and compared to detail monsters like the DT 1990 they are; but if you give them a chance, I think you may find that the HD 650 are actually pretty detailed, but it's not in your face about it and it's not emphasized with a boosted treble. Though, yes, soundstage is pretty small. Just think of it as cozy. Or intimate.
My advice is to give them time and patience, preferably a few days without listening to your other cans. Try not to compare them to your other headphones. Just sit back, relax, and listen to the music.
Anyway, I hope you can come to enjoy them, as they're really great headphones.

Jul 18, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #42,802 of 46,525
What?! Heresy! Everybody knows that the HD 650 only sound good from OTL amplifiers capable of producing at least 5000mW and that can swing 120V, and the veil only lifts after you've spent half of your savings and most of your life tube rolling!

But also many portable rigs. Like my X5 + E12A setup. That also sounds good, but, shh, don't tell the others.

@Nailzs, sorry you're not enjoying the HD 6XX more. I've not heard the Nuraphones, but to get max enjoyment out of the Sennheisers, don't compare them side by side with other 'phones. On technicalities, my DT 1990 best them nine ways out of ten, so if I compare them side by side, the HD 650 pales by comparison. Where the HD 650/6XX excel, though, is with timbre and tonality, especially in the mids. I think some people find them to be un-detailed, and compared to detail monsters like the DT 1990 they are; but if you give them a chance, I think you may find that the HD 650 are actually pretty detailed, but it's not in your face about it and it's not emphasized with a boosted treble. Though, yes, soundstage is pretty small. Just think of it as cozy. Or intimate.
My advice is to give them time and patience, preferably a few days without listening to your other cans. Try not to compare them to your other headphones. Just sit back, relax, and listen to the music.
Anyway, I hope you can come to enjoy them, as they're really great headphones.

I thought my HD650 headphones sucked when I got them. I didn't even like them out of a Bottlehead Crack. It wasn't until I put a lot of time on them and paired them up with my QP1R, that I really liked them. And that literally just happened today after owning them for 6 months. I had never tried them with the QP1R and figured what the hell let's do it

Jul 18, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #42,803 of 46,525
Nurawhat..?

Attachments

• 8A6A9A40-12E1-4ECF-9D0D-AE9FAC0FCE4E.jpeg
    8A6A9A40-12E1-4ECF-9D0D-AE9FAC0FCE4E.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 0
Jul 18, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #42,805 of 46,525
Nurawhat..?

Nuraphones

Features
  • Learns and adapts to your unique hearing
  • Active Noise Cancellation
  • Dual drivers: clear melodies + bass you can feel
  • Social Mode: touch to hear the world around you
  • Crystal clear voice calls
  • Bluetooth AptX-HD + cabled options
I'm surprised there's no active thread about Nuraphones on Head-Fi.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #42,806 of 46,525
  • Give it another try
  • and another
  • and another nother nother
  • At least its resale value is good

It is said, sometimes half-jokingly, that these headphones need 650 hours of burn in.

Jul 18, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #42,807 of 46,525
Just got my Drop HD6xx and I'm quite disappointed. Head to head with my Nuraphones the Nuraphones win hands down better in every way. That's with the Nuraphones personalized and connected with Bluetooth apt x HD.
This is my own personal opinion but I feel I wasted $200.00 on earphones that are inferior to what I already have.

customization, when it actually comes close to what you want or need, is almost always going to subjectively win over standard stuff IMO. the trouble being that good customization tools are still complicated and/or too damn expensive. and the rest focuses on partial solutions, so they're still a hit or miss depending on the user, as ironic as that can sound.

Jul 18, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #42,810 of 46,525

Recommend you burn the HP in for 100-150 hrs, then make decisions.

Burn-in is one of those topics that cause controversy, so take my comment for what it's worth. I've repeatedly heard sonic differences (usually positive) following burn-in of headphones and source components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back