Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #42,781 of 46,499
I say return it if it doesn't suit your desires. It doesn't sound like the quality is all that great.
I just wanted to point out that it doesn't sound like it's out of phase.

Yeah it doesn't seem out of phase to me. I do notice a sound improvement using the 2.5mm balance output compared to the standard 3.5mm. I wonder if a company like Periapt would make a cable with the 2.5mm connector?

Jul 13, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #42,782 of 46,499
That I don't know. I still use the stock cable.

The balanced cable sounding better could be any number of things-- the cable itself, that it's balanced, the power delivery.

Jul 13, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #42,783 of 46,499
That I don't know. I still use the stock cable.

The balanced cable sounding better could be any number of things-- the cable itself, that it's balanced, the power delivery.

Oh okay. Perhaps it depends on each person but I wonder if there is any real benefit to using a balance connection.

Jul 13, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #42,784 of 46,499
Yeah it doesn't seem out of phase to me. I do notice a sound improvement using the 2.5mm balance output compared to the standard 3.5mm. I wonder if a company like Periapt would make a cable with the 2.5mm connector?
You can mail Triton Audio Cables and ask for a Mogami 2893 cable wire with a 2.5 mm connector.

The cable makes a noticable refinement from the stock cable

Jul 13, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #42,785 of 46,499
Jul 13, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #42,786 of 46,499
Oh okay. Perhaps it depends on each person but I wonder if there is any real benefit to using a balance connection.
A balanced connection would only benefit if the amp was designed as a balanced amp (were more of the engineering/cost) was directed at. From what I've noticed most under $1000 amps with both balanced and SE output tend to sound better from the balanced output while amps that were over $1000 the balanced and SE outputs sounded the same or so close that I and owners of the amps couldn't tell the difference most of the time.

Jul 14, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #42,788 of 46,499
Yes. You can send them an email, and tell them what length you would like the cable to be.

Seems like I can just customize on their site without emailing them. But it would be better to see all the options instead of choosing "blindly" from a pull down list.

Jul 17, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #42,789 of 46,499

You might find helpful information in the "Sound Science" section of the Forums. There's a thread titled "ANY difference between balanced and single ended (other than volume & noise?)" I highly recommend the Sound Science section. The members who post are for the most part very knowledgeable about the science of audio sound and they cut through all the hype associated with this hobby. You'll find just about every answer to any questions you may have, again about the headphone hobby.

Jul 17, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #42,791 of 46,499
Why...yes.

I am still in the process of trying to like the Empyreans that I have on loan. I don't have a fancy desktop system, but I have an LPG and a QP1R that should drive them...

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #42,792 of 46,499
I am still in the process of trying to like the Empyreans that I have on loan. I don't have a fancy desktop system, but I have an LPG and a QP1R that should drive them...

I have a fairly complex desktop system w/multiple amps. Primary amp/preamp is the Violectric V281; and a second RCA output from the DAC usually connects to a modest but nice-sounding OTL tube amp, the Woo WA3.

I had an Empyrean for 3 months, then recently sold. It's a great headphone. But it does scale up w/increasing power & quality of sources.

Jul 17, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #42,793 of 46,499
You might find helpful information in the "Sound Science" section of the Forums. There's a thread titled "ANY difference between balanced and single ended (other than volume & noise?)" I highly recommend the Sound Science section. The members who post are for the most part very knowledgeable about the science of audio sound and they cut through all the hype associated with this hobby. You'll find just about every answer to any questions you may have, again about the headphone hobby.
I appreciate the vote of confidence, but would argue that who posts and where is never a reason to take statements at face value. also your link doesn't work. :sweat_smile:
but really, it's very nice to read something positive for a change about Head-Fi's unwanted person child. thank you.

Jul 17, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #42,795 of 46,499
I have a fairly complex desktop system w/multiple amps. Primary amp/preamp is the Violectric V281; and a second RCA output from the DAC usually connects to a modest but nice-sounding OTL tube amp, the Woo WA3.

I had an Empyrean for 3 months, then recently sold. It's a great headphone. But it does scale up w/increasing power & quality of sources.

I almost feel like there is something wrong with me for not just loving the hell out of the Empyreans. I really like my AKG K812s and my Shure SRH1540s. Having said that, I really hated the 812s the first time I heard them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back