Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #42,751 of 46,527
So stupid of me! How could I not think about that?! Hahahah thank you very much!

I just tried to switch it anddd, unfortunately it's not the cable.
The left side still doesnt work.....

So what might be wrong with my beloved headphone :") ..
There's a video of disassembly and contact repair

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #42,752 of 46,527
So stupid of me! How could I not think about that?! Hahahah thank you very much!

I just tried to switch it anddd, unfortunately it's not the cable.
The left side still doesnt work.....

So what might be wrong with my beloved headphone :") ..

Worst case scenario, and unfortunately the most common scenario, is that the left driver died. But no worries since you can always send your headphones back to Sennheiser for repair. I think the cost will be reasonable

Jul 10, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #42,753 of 46,527
So is this the best idea for $1000 in dac and amp?

I think there would potentially be as many recommendations as there are sub $1000 dac/amps as opinions differ.. :)

That said, if you are not opposed to tubes, the Schiit Lyr3 with multibit dac card is what I enjoy on a daily basis. That combo will set you back $700. As it uses a standard 6SN7 type tube you can also try different tubes to find “the one” that sounds best to you. Beware though, that once one starts down that path, there are no limits to the amounts that are possible to spend on the rarer varieties of tubes.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I have tied a few different tubes myself, old and new, sub $50 mostly, but I keep coming back to the stock Tung-Sol 6SN7 reissue that comes with the amp as a selectable option for +$25 :smile:

Jul 10, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #42,754 of 46,527
It was my best idea for a HP amp and DAC. I don't know what the magical improvement you expect by spending $650 more. Maybe you should consider spending less than a $1,000, because the R2R-11 is pretty exceptional.

Jul 10, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #42,755 of 46,527
Hello guys!

I want to ask a question,

My Sennheiser HD 600 is currently broken.. The left side of the headphone does not work, only right side produces sound.
Funny thing is that, this happened when I was using it. So basically, I was listening to music and the left side just stop working by itself. Nothing happened actually, I didnt pull the cable or something like that, it just stopped working.

Is it repairable ? What caused this? The cable / the audio jack maybe? ( I changed the audio jack once )

Problem is, in my area it's very hard to find a good place to service my headphone :frowning2: . And if there is one, it will be so expensive.

I found a seller that sells chinese hd600 replacement cable for like only 10 dollars, I am kinda tempted to just buy this cable haha.
It will be much cheaper than the service cost I believe..
Do you think it's kinda wise to do this? Will it change the sound quality?

Thanks!!
Hi,
Make sure it's the headphones before sending them for repair. Either test your source with another pair of 'phones or plug your HD 600 into another source. Neither has to sound great, you just want to confirm that it's the headphone and not some other piece of equipment that's acting up. (I don't know if this is what you mean when you say you "changed the audio jack once.")

It's frustrating when things break! Good luck!

Jul 10, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #42,756 of 46,527
I've head of some hd600's and hd650's having coil spring problems, it's a small part somewhere between the driver and cable that apparently goes bad sometimes. You might look into that, I'm not very educated on it.

There is also a pair on ebay that has a similar problem, you could buy them (but shipping may be expensive), or look for a similar pair and swap out the functioning driver. It would be very easy, these headphones are designed in a way that they can be disassembled very easily. The drivers might not be matched very well though when all is said and done.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser...674523&hash=item5471cb0aa6:g:4CAAAOSwzfNdCAZr

Woah.... HD600 with the same problem as mine is being offered that cheap? :") ..
Must cost kinda a lot to fix it I guess...

I am not that good with fixing things, so I think I will just have to find a good place to repair it..

Thanks again mate!

There's a video of disassembly and contact repair

After watching it, I give up.. I think I will just risk damaging it more if I do try to repair it by my self haha..
Thanks though!

Worst case scenario, and unfortunately the most common scenario, is that the left driver died. But no worries since you can always send your headphones back to Sennheiser for repair. I think the cost will be reasonable

Yeah, unfortunately maybe that's the case..
Do you think it's wise to repair it in a non-authorized Senneheiser repairment shop? Maybe it will cost cheaper that way.
Or it's better to play it safe and just send it back to authorized Sennehiser?

Hi,
Make sure it's the headphones before sending them for repair. Either test your source with another pair of 'phones or plug your HD 600 into another source. Neither has to sound great, you just want to confirm that it's the headphone and not some other piece of equipment that's acting up. (I don't know if this is what you mean when you say you "changed the audio jack once.")

It's frustrating when things break! Good luck!

Hi mate!
What I meant by audio jack, is the whole 3.5mm jack.
Somehow I broke it and the repair guy changed it with a new one , even though I paid quite a lot to replace it, I believe he changed it with cheap chinese one.

So It is indeed very frustrating when our beloved headphone breaks haha. Kinda traumatized with the previous repair too. Hope this one wont cost that much, even though I think it will cost much more than the previous one.

Really appreciate you trying to remind me! That's so kind of you.
I did already test it with my phone and unfortunately even with the phone the left side is still not working.

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #42,757 of 46,527
It was my best idea for a HP amp and DAC. I don't know what the magical improvement you expect by spending $650 more. Maybe you should consider spending less than a $1,000, because the R2R-11 is pretty exceptional.

...Magical improvement? Has this community become so deluded that spending double on something is now associated with magical improvements?

Jul 10, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #42,758 of 46,527
Not listened to hd650 for ages. Gone back to them tonight. Truly magical headphones

Jul 10, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #42,759 of 46,527
...Magical improvement? Has this community become so deluded that spending double on something is now associated with magical improvements?
Well-- 1. this thread is Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread so your question would be better answered on a different thread.
2. Headphone amps range from $198 (Schiit Modi 3/Magni 3) to several times a Thousand dollars, I suggested a solution for $350. If I am following your delusion theory, the better question would be "Why to limit yourself to $1,000?" If you paid twice as much, it would be twice as good, Right?
3. Have you ever heard an Audio-gd R2R-11, which sells for $350, and why would you want to spend $650 more?
4. Delusion is a national past time in the United States, we live in expectation of Magical improvements.

Jul 10, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #42,760 of 46,527
Well, if you think the R2R-11 will sound better if you spend twice as much on it, you can buy two and send one to me. I won't won't complain that the free amp doesn't sound as good.

Jul 10, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #42,762 of 46,527
I couldn't agree more with your statement. I got caught up in all the madness almost 2 years ago and sold everything I had and walked away from the hobby for 9 months. Came back last May and made it a point to stay within a very miniscule budget. With the very modest gear I have now. I can whole heartedly say that diminishing returns kicks in pretty rapidly around the $200 to $400 mark. My total rig cost me a small fraction of previously owned gear and I don't miss any of it. There's really nothing magical past that price point imo.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #42,763 of 46,527
FWIW I think the R2R11 sounded like absolute garbage with extremely poor detail retrieval, The HD650 is still one of the most resolving headphones in sub $1000 market and all its potential is wasted on R2R11.
Look at ASR review for R2R11, some can argue measurements arent everything and I totally agree, but before seeing a single measurement for this DAC I thought it sounded terrible... so what does that say?

I would recommend buying a used Topping D50, feeding it clean power, spend the left over money on an amp. I can only recommend DIY amps, but they will outperform stuff twice the price.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #42,765 of 46,527
FWIW I think the R2R11 sounded like absolute garbage with extremely poor detail retrieval, The HD650 is still one of the most resolving headphones in sub $1000 market and all its potential is wasted on R2R11.
Look at ASR review for R2R11, some can argue measurements arent everything and I totally agree, but before seeing a single measurement for this DAC I thought it sounded terrible... so what does that say?

I would recommend buying a used Topping D50, feeding it clean power, spend the left over money on an amp. I can only recommend DIY amps, but they will outperform stuff twice the price.
You are obviously in the "Amir says it measures good" camp. He concluded that the Topping D50 ($199) measured better than the Schiit Yggdrasil ($2499) a Delta Sigma beats a NOS Ladder DAC? Hmm, maybe that would measure better if you had Beats headphones instead of HD650 from Sennheiser...if Amir said they measure better...:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back