Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #41,926 of 46,524
6XX + N5ii balanced is a nice combo. So airy and spacious.

Jan 12, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #41,927 of 46,524
So the only way to truly reveal the HD6xx is to go for tube amps? No solid states can do them justice?

Jan 12, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #41,929 of 46,524
HD650/6XX is my go to headphone for general vocals, it just sounds most easy to listen to any type of vocals through it, and provides nice full mids to enrich the sound of vocals.

Anybody else find them to be a good pick for vocals?

I do. Especially male vocals for rock. Often they get drowned out a lot by the bass in other IEMs/headphones. Bass guitar sounds great with the 6XX too.

Jan 12, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #41,930 of 46,524
I do. Especially male vocals for rock. Often they get drowned out a lot by the bass in other IEMs/headphones. Bass guitar sounds great with the 6XX too.
I like classic rock, vocals, and string instruments out of it. Basically stuff that the HD6XX brings forward, and I think it's the reason why certain tracks just sound more interesting out of it. Because sometimes tracks can have more emphasis in the treble, and with the HD6XX, that emphasis doesn't get expressed strongly.

This is issues with headphones interaction with different types of tracks. If you like to go from genre to genre, or move between different types of tracks, if the headphone tend to puts out a bit of emphasis in the treble, it will output treble a bit too much at times, and it's easier to have something you can move track to track without worrying about treble harshness getting out of hand.

Based on my experience I can understand what people mean by musical, and not musical. I think it has to do with treble emphasis with most tracks for certain genre of music. Of course orchestra music isn't really what I consider emotional music. I think musical means the headphone doesn't make you think about what frequencies are sticking out as you listen. If you move to a track and treble sticks out unpleasantly, it makes your brain think, and your mind is outside the music. So, not musical.

I want my musical experience to be nonrestrictive, free-moving genre to genre affair.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #41,931 of 46,524
So the only way to truly reveal the HD6xx is to go for tube amps? No solid states can do them justice?
Definitely no! I tried mine with the mass drop CTH after reading wonderful things about the synergy. Hated it. I’d always wanted the NJC reference solid state headamp and managed to get a mint one used. Glorious. Every thing I’d hoped the Senns would be

Jan 13, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #41,932 of 46,524
Definitely no! I tried mine with the mass drop CTH after reading wonderful things about the synergy. Hated it. I’d always wanted the NJC reference solid state headamp and managed to get a mint one used. Glorious. Every thing I’d hoped the Senns would be
Guess I am better off sampling a tube amp with the Senns before I make the jump. Nearly purchased a pre-installed Crack BH off ebay last month! I only have the rHead and a Fostex amp and they don't really make the HD650 sing; I mean they sound good but I was expecting more after reading so much good things said about the HD650s/6xxs so was kept wondering if tube amps are the way to go.

Jan 13, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #41,933 of 46,524
Guess I am better off sampling a tube amp with the Senns before I make the jump. Nearly purchased a pre-installed Crack BH off ebay last month! I only have the rHead and a Fostex amp and they don't really make the HD650 sing; I mean they sound good but I was expecting more after reading so much good things said about the HD650s/6xxs so was kept wondering if tube amps are the way to go.
I’m not saying not to use a tube amp. I’ve only got limited experience with one and too many people rave about the combination to dismiss. But I’m just saying that certainly the combo I’ve got works splendidly

Jan 13, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #41,934 of 46,524
The best I ever heard the HD650, was with the BHC , and Woo Wa6. Didn't care for it with the Schiit Mjolnir 1. With the MJ1 , it was very dry , and lacked dimensional presence.
I also preferred the Valhalla over the Lyr with the 650.
With that said. It all boils down to personal preference. Just my subjective thoughts on the 650 when I had them.

Jan 13, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #41,936 of 46,524
I would be concerned tubes would warm up the 6XX and reduce speed, although not all tube amp warms it up (at least not too much).

I personally like it damped without being overly warm, sounds clear and faster, and this is with solid-state amp I use.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #41,937 of 46,524
I just bought the HD6XX and am looking to pair with the new TT I just got. Never had the 6 series. I did have HD700 back when but considered it too bright for my liking. Really want a laid back and warmish sound. Hopefully will sound decent from the Lyr 2 I have as well...

Jan 13, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #41,938 of 46,524

Not true. Though I haven't heard the HD6XX's, I've heard (at length) both a stock & heavily modded HD650 in my system: which means any of 5 SS amps and 1 OTL tube amp. The HD650s, stock & modded, sounded glorious on all my SS amps, especially the least powerful, the M Stage Matrix HPA-1 w/swapped opamps. They also sounded glorious, but in slightly different ways, on the OTL.

Net/net, I think I prefer SS for these headphones, but it's really kind of a toss-up.

I think the only way you can really go wrong w/these headphones is to drive them w/too skimpy an amp/power supply.

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #41,939 of 46,524
Not true. Though I haven't heard the HD6XX's, I've heard (at length) both a stock & heavily modded HD650 in my system: which means any of 5 SS amps and 1 OTL tube amp. The HD650s, stock & modded, sounded glorious on all my SS amps, especially the least powerful, the M Stage Matrix HPA-1 w/swapped opamps. They also sounded glorious, but in slightly different ways, on the OTL.

Net/net, I think I prefer SS for these headphones, but it's really kind of a toss-up.

I think the only way you can really go wrong w/these headphones is to drive them w/too skimpy an amp/power supply.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I run my HD6XX (re-terminated stock cable to XLR and with Dekoni Elite Velour ear pads) out of my Jotunheim/Modi MB and I find that these headphones sound amazing with plenty of of deep rich bass, glorious mids and plenty of detail in the highs without piercing ear bleeding extension. The key is driving these headphones with an amp that has plenty of clean power which the Jotunheim provides.

Having said that, I also have the HD650 (stock cable & stock ear pads) that I use with the hybrid Project Ember (tube preamp/solid state power amp) fed by a Modi Multibit and this combo also delivers plenty of power but with a warmer bass presentation (obviously tube dependent) than the Jotunheim. I don't necessarily prefer one over the other but both bring out the best from the HD650/HD6XX.

Jan 14, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #41,940 of 46,524
Some of you guys are getting hybrid amps and tube amps mixed up.The Schiit Valhalla is a tube amp. The Schiit Lyr and other one or two tubes amps are not. If you want the best out of your HD 650, 600 or MD 6xx headphones, get a real tube amp. If you want to go for the best, get a DNA Stratus, Stellaris or ZD tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back