1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by tangsta, Sep 24, 2006.
  1. perhapss
    Hi all,

I just purchased a massdrop hd6xx and used to own a circa 2011 hd650 which I used for several years. The new hd6xx seems much brighter to me.
    I've read some information that the hd650s tuning has changed a bit over the years. Is there quick/easy access to information that proves this?

No offense to those who've written here but I don't want to spend all day sorting through this thread and if someone knows I'd love to see the data...

2. Deftone
    yes there has been a "new" HD650 for a long time now with the silver screens but as the pads wear the sound gets warmer. I put some measurements up i found in the last 10 pages.

3. LazyListener
    Have you tried swapping the pads between the 2 and then comparing the sound? Not saying they're not different, as I've read similar comments from others, but older vs newer pads often do make a difference.

4. gefski
    Yep, new pads/old pads = significant difference. No sense comparing unless both cans have new/newish pads.

Pharmaboy and Tuneslover like this.
  5. BrotherKathos
    Has anyone tried the Dekoni Fenestrated sheepskin pads with the HD6XX?

Please give me your impressions if possible :)

I only saw one person that posted about them in this thread, and it was not very detailed so I can't get much from it other than a bass increase from the pads and maybe some added warmth?

I found this measurement. Its for the hd600, but should do basically the same thing for hd6xx i suppose? Looks like it does ad a bit more meat to the hd6xx, which i prefer.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  6. BrotherKathos
    ?

7. Anarion
    The common consensus is that anything other than stock Sennheiser pads just reduce the sound quality.

Gotta say... in some tracks (pretty much anything from SawanoHiroyuki[nZk] - Binary Star / Cage ep, especially Roller Coaster) the differences between HD 6XX and HD 58X become really obvious and (at least in my opinion) really show why there's a price between these two. Honestly, the $50 difference feels too small.

tafens and nocturaline like this.
  8. BrotherKathos
    I must be an outlier then. I've found switching pads on sennheiser models to actually improve them. For example the hd558s got a big improvement from a pad swap, and so did the 598 Cs.

9. Rattle
    I have a set on the 600, I feel it did them good. Complete opposite of the HD6xx not an improvement over stock at all. On the 600 it makes them sound more like 6xx IMO. I thought I was nuts but found others going through the same elsewhere...

10. BrotherKathos
    Hmmm, I'll just have to try them out I guess. I really feel the hd6xx needs a bass boost and the dekonis seem to provide that without affecting the treble much. I also like how they bring down the mids a bit. Makes the frequency response look more balanced at least and closer to my favorite headphones which are the Audeze LCD2C. If the pads can get them even a bit closer to the 2C imo its a big win

11. Rattle
    You'd be correct as that's what it seems to do on the 600 but on the 6xx things go south quick. Lots of bloat and loss of detail. I do love them on the 600 though.

12. BrotherKathos
    I guess I'll have to see then when they get here. Worst case I guess is I get a set of HD600s to use with them. I've almost got those headphones so many times but held off because I know they are brighter than the 650 and 6xx. Maybe they would be one of my favs with the pads if I don't like them on the 6xx?

Also the dac and amp are going to make a big difference on whether hey sound bloated or not. If I was using an amp like the Asgard 2 they might seem a bit bloated as it can get hat way even with stock pads. I'm planning on using them with a smsl m9 and thx AA789 amp. That combo should be plenty tight and precise enough to manage with the bassier pads.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Rattle likes this.
  13. Rattle
    You never know maybe the coin mod or other 650 mods with this pads might be more magic. I'll have to revisit this. I was using Valhalla 2 when I changed pads on 600 and 6xx

14. BrotherKathos
    Yeah, you never now where you are going to end up once you leave for tinker town :)

15. buke9
    Get a Bottlehead Crack and you won’t have to do mods.

HungryPanda and gefski like this.