Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #38,207 of 46,554
Has anyone listened to the Jotunheim with the 650? I am tempted.....

Yes, fantastic combination. Sounds great with a balanced cable to the HD650s.

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #38,208 of 46,554
Has anyone listened to the Jotunheim with the 650? I am tempted.....

Yes, it is a great amp for the HD650.

And a lot of other headphones for that matter...

beerchug.gif

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #38,209 of 46,554

Sennheiser HD580/600/650 love the Schiit Asgard, Asgard 2, Valhalla 2 and that Bottlehead .  I own the Asgard 2 which presents a consistent, sweet class A sound.  I've heard the tube Valhalla and Bottlehead, both are amazing and worth owing if I didn't already own the superb Asgard2. 

Tony in Michigan

ps.  My Audiologist helped me Eq. my rig to properly accommodate my "old" ears, now I have deep-deep-deep base response thats quite surprising and delightful. The Sennheisers respond well to Eq., resulting in a "keeper" headphone system for very modest expenditure.  I've owned and loved this same  system for a few years now, I feel no need to upgrade.  

This can't be underestimated. Whilst I've never used an audiologist I have investigated my hearing capacity. As we get older it definitely deteriorates and knowing where is crucial to getting a good sound. There would be no point at all in me taking advice from a teenager with perfect ears without also throwing in a heap of salt too.

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #38,210 of 46,554
^ Using just a crappy online auditory freq test, my hearing has now cutoff at around 14 kHz. That's with single tones thru computer speakers on desktop. A bit unsettling, but that's ageing, I suppose.

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #38,212 of 46,554
Problem is.. We old buggers (middle age and onwards..) will need to incorporate equalizers into our audio stream. This is going to annoy most of us serious audiophiles. Even if we know we have hearing damage. And before you start.. No equalizers are the same. They all differ and alter the signal - distorting it. Yes distorting it. :) 

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #38,213 of 46,554
  Guys , what would you consider upgrading first , a Sabre ES9018K2M DAC chip running in ASYNC mode , or upgrading a Fiio E12? 

The Fiio.

IMHO, the DAC chip is not what primarily determines overall transparency and SQ in a DAC. It's how the chip is implemented within the overall circuit -- and that includes power supply separation for the analog and digital sections, among other things.

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #38,214 of 46,554

The Fiio.

IMHO, the DAC chip is not what primarily determines overall transparency and SQ in a DAC. It's how the chip is implemented within the overall circuit -- and that includes power supply separation for the analog and digital sections, among other things.

Thanks for your answer, well the dac is from Hifime ( Those tiny black boxes) it doesn't look like anything complex :p What could i get by upgrading the fiio, at this point? And let's say like , i upgrade for a 200€ AMP , would i get some real benefits going up from the fiio? I'm watching some dac's being recomended but almost are from US companys but i'm from europe and shipping would be a pain :/

Thanks

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #38,215 of 46,554
  Thanks for your answer, well the dac is from Hifime ( Those tiny black boxes) it doesn't look like anything complex :p What could i get by upgrading the fiio, at this point? And let's say like , i upgrade for a 200€ AMP , would i get some real benefits going up from the fiio? I'm watching some dac's being recomended but almost are from US companys but i'm from europe and shipping would be a pain :/

Thanks

Better imaging, more oomph with upgraded power transformers in a better amp (E12 is an amp, right? duh), lower noise floor, smoother dynamics. Good for other HPs as well, down the road.....(this IS Head-Fi, ya know...)

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #38,216 of 46,554
I was thinking to buy a dac that i will be able to use both on the go with my galaxy s7 and a closed hp and in the hotel rooms with the hd6xx and my s7 or the laptop (i travel alot). At first i was thinking chord mojo but i read lots of reviews about the fact that both hd6xx and mojo are worm so as a combo it is too warm. Could not find something that would be really good for both. I was thinking mojo for on the go and apogee groove as my laptop solution with hd6xx in the hotels.(I know that jot is probably better as a desktop solution but it does not look as a good solution to carry in a suitcase, size wise and weight wise compared to the groove) your thoughts?

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #38,219 of 46,554
I was thinking to buy a dac that i will be able to use both on the go with my galaxy s7 and a closed hp and in the hotel rooms with the hd6xx and my s7 or the laptop (i travel alot). At first i was thinking chord mojo but i read lots of reviews about the fact that both hd6xx and mojo are worm so as a combo it is too warm. Could not find something that would be really good for both. I was thinking mojo for on the go and apogee groove as my laptop solution with hd6xx in the hotels.(I know that jot is probably better as a desktop solution but it does not look as a good solution to carry in a suitcase, size wise and weight wise compared to the groove) your thoughts?

Check out the Geek Out V2+, fantastic with the HD650 and designed to be used with a phone.

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #38,220 of 46,554
Rediscovering headphones after many years out of the game.  Used to have some serious gear (modded Melos, button Grado RS1, etc) 

Focusrite 2i4
HD650
Schiit Asgard 2

Chick Corea "Spain" from the Trilogy album (specifically this recording)

Been a pianist all my life.  Accompanied, played with small orchestras, etc.  My point is I know what instruments sound like, and this is it.  How can a $375 headphone be this good?  I have no idea, but it is.  I have not heard the Utopia or the LCD3/4 but nothing else I have heard is this competent.  And they are all 5x the price or more.  I do not hear a hint of a veil and the double bass reproduction is remarkable in nuance and tone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back