Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #38,176 of 46,565
I'm enjoying my HD650 through one of my vintage NAD's at the mo (3225PE). The sound has lots of weight but the mids are unaffected. The treble is very smooth. I love these old amps, they were my choice for the HD800 as well. 

. I have the same amp as you (always respected your opinion on the vintage thread so picked it up) and I can confirm, perfect synergy with the HD800/650.

I have a couple of NAD preamps as well and they also sound fantastic from the headphone out.

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #38,177 of 46,565
. I have the same amp as you (always respected your opinion on the vintage thread so picked it up) and I can confirm, perfect synergy with the HD800/650.

I have a couple of NAD preamps as well and they also sound fantastic from the headphone out.

Thank you for the compliment :) Yes they do make great hp amps. They're also very quiet for vintage - very important for modern sensitive headphones. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #38,179 of 46,565
I agree with the Jot pairing. The metallic timbre made the HD650 a little aggressive and a bit forced sounding. That said it does show you what the 650 is capable in terms of dynamics. I prefer the crack in terms of sheer musicality.

I just got my HD800 out for a listen tonight, ewww so unnatural, put 650 back on, that's more like it. Also it's not mentioned how close the HD650 can get in terms of technical ability in some areas to the HD800 but man it's just so cohesive and smooth.

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #38,180 of 46,565

Should do something like Project Ember-2 kit -- cheaper and also a good match for 650.

I had the vali 2 for a while, it was great but sounded like solid state to me, I think the ember also being a hybrid might be the same deal.

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #38,181 of 46,565

I had the vali 2 for a while, it was great but sounded like solid state to me, I think the ember also being a hybrid might be the same deal.

LOL nothing wrong with SS.
rolleyes.gif

Polaris is also a great match -- all SS but with a touch of tube-like euphony -- without the $$ rabbit hole of tube-rolling.

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #38,182 of 46,565

with different tubes you can change the sound signature of the Ember and Vali2, while I haven't done much playing with a Vali2 to know how much the sound changes with different tubes I know my Ember can be very different sounding with various tubes and the ability to change the output impedance makes the Ember and most Garage 1217 amps which have the feature quite flexible in the headphones they can drive from low impedance planar to high impedance ones like the HD650.  And changing the output impedance can be done while the amp is in use so its easy to hear the differences.

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #38,183 of 46,565
Just order the hundred and $50 balanced DAC install it yourself you're done.

I have the balance DAC with the jotunheim on the hd650 sounds pretty darn good.

Not that it isn't a great dac, but I'll stick with my Mimby over the Jotunheim internal dac. Balanced or not, I significantly prefer the schiit multibit sound over ak4490. The only meaningful upgrade I could imagine to the Mimby would be a balanced version of (basically) the same thing, Gungnir Multibit.

As good as the multibit Modi is, the Jot's internal dac is no slouch and directly comparing the two reinforced this. For me, the only meaningful upgrade from the dual ak4490 dac is currently the balanced multibit Gungnir. I'd like 2 mb Modi boards, a beefy power supply and upgraded USB receiver in a Bifrost case with balanced xlr outs. Shame such a component doesn't exist. Yet.

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #38,184 of 46,565

LOL nothing wrong with SS. :rolleyes:

Polaris is also a great match -- all SS but with a touch of tube-like euphony -- without the $$ rabbit hole of tube-rolling.

I like SS amps. I like tube amps.

I ******* hate tube-rolling.

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #38,186 of 46,565
Don't buy the colloquial "tube sound" vs "SS sound".

Hundreds of examples, but how about Schiit Valhalla vs Woo WA3? Both are tube OTL but not at all similar in their house sound and presentation.

IMO, YMWV

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #38,187 of 46,565
Don't buy the colloquial "tube sound" vs "SS sound".

Hundreds of examples, but how about Schiit Valhalla vs Woo WA3? Both are tube OTL but not at all similar in their house sound and presentation.

IMO, YMWV

^ Agreed. The best tubed amps sound very much like some excellent SS. My LS27 tubed hybrid linestage, for example (and many other ARC amps). Not a "typical" tubed amp at all. Very transparent, musical, with amazing imaging, and without any of the bass bloat and murkiness that many associate with tubies. Expensive, yes. But once tasted, no looking back.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #38,188 of 46,565

I can make my Ember sound any way I want.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #38,189 of 46,565
Guys I'm not knocking the Ember at all, I've heard great things about Garage amps. I guess what I mean is that despite rolling 6-7 different tubes in the vali 2 it still sounded too similar to my magni 2. My Jotunheim sounds so good that I don't really want to bother with another amp unless it sounds significantly different (but still good obviously). I've had my eye on the BH crack for a while now after reading so many recommendations for it. Might be a while, I'm currently saving for a set of KEF reference model threes...
beerchug.gif

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #38,190 of 46,565
I owned the Valhalla 2 prior to the Jotunheim. The Valhalla 2 hints at the transparent and excellent imaging qualities found in top shelf tube amps. Where it falls short is in macro dynamic swings and presenting a defined yet full bodied bottom end. It's a good enough match for the HD650, especially considering the price tag. I lived with it for a while but I always missed the drive and slam of a good, balanced SS amp - like the Ragnarok I owned prior. On the whole, the Valhalla 2 provides excellent clarity with believable staging, but it is a tad too "polite" for my liking.

If I were to return to tubes (have also owned a Lyr in the past) it wouldn't be for the flavoured tube amps some gravitate to. It would be for a tube amp like the Valhalla 2 but with the low end control and authority of the Jotunheim. These amps are out there but they are many times the cost of the Valhalla 2 and Jotunheim combined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back