Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #28,967 of 46,499
Maybe ? Who knows? I heard that from my friend who have newest packaging Hd650 and his friend have older packaging Hd650. Maybe sound is different because of earpads condition?

The dark packaging usually sounds darker.....
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #28,968 of 46,499
  ^ @geezuz183: Yeah, true. But most salespeople will get pissed off with all the repeated returns in search of the "perfect headphone". They're only human.

Lol... It's a pretty big store, they have a huge section for just returns and you will rarely see the same person. Not to mention, the lines for return are usually longer than the checkout.
gs1000.gif

The person had told me, that they can see the percentage of returns made, by each customer; not the products returned. I can balance this out by buying cheap items I plan to keep.
wink_face.gif

Sep 16, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #28,974 of 46,499
Can i ask you. Why do you like Hd650 more than Hd600? Or it does have better synergy with your gear?

For me, The hd600 aren't geared for the type of genres I like. I listen to music with a lot of rhythm and the 600's just don't do it for me. The 650's have a way of "layering" each sound with more detail. Plus, the soundstage is a bit better on the 650 (though not too wide)... Works for games and movies better than the 600, in my opinion.

Sep 16, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #28,976 of 46,499
Well just let me say, I bought a pair of 650's from amazon Christmas 2012, used them up until May of this year, when amazon had a one hour sale, for $230 for the 650's so I bought a second pair, did not want to be without the sound.  First pair came in a silver box, same silver-white drivers.  second one came in the black box, same silver-white drivers with new hologram.  Initially the BLACK box pair sounded different  I thought I detected subtle nuances on the new pair and I really liked them better.  That being said, I have now put on several hundred hours on the new pair, and figured why not try the OLD pair just for the heck of it before I sell them.  Unboxed them put them on and listened for a couple hours.  Funny, I think I heard a subtle nuance on the older pair that was not there on the NEW pair, oh what to do now.  Perhaps I will put the old pair in the BLACK box for awhile and see if maybe the color of the box changes things.  NOTHING has been changed on the headphone except for the hologram on one of the drivers and the new BLACK box.  Fact is maybe when I put up the older pair for sale I will include the new BLACK box so that the new owner will feel the nuances as well.  As far as buying and returning headphones over and over again looking for a different outcome, probably not the headphones but expectations or gear in use.

Sep 16, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #28,977 of 46,499
  Well just let me say, I bought a pair of 650's from amazon Christmas 2012, used them up until May of this year, when amazon had a one hour sale, for $230 for the 650's so I bought a second pair, did not want to be without the sound.  First pair came in a silver box, same silver-white drivers.  second one came in the black box, same silver-white drivers with new hologram.  Initially the BLACK box pair sounded different  I thought I detected subtle nuances on the new pair and I really liked them better.  That being said, I have now put on several hundred hours on the new pair, and figured why not try the OLD pair just for the heck of it before I sell them.  Unboxed them put them on and listened for a couple hours.  Funny, I think I heard a subtle nuance on the older pair that was not there on the NEW pair, oh what to do now.  Perhaps I will put the old pair in the BLACK box for awhile and see if maybe the color of the box changes things.  NOTHING has been changed on the headphone except for the hologram on one of the drivers and the new BLACK box.  Fact is maybe when I put up the older pair for sale I will include the new BLACK box so that the new owner will feel the nuances as well.  As far as buying and returning headphones over and over again looking for a different outcome, probably not the headphones but expectations or gear in use.

rofl...
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #28,978 of 46,499
  Lol... It's a pretty big store, they have a huge section for just returns and you will rarely see the same person. Not to mention, the lines for return are usually longer than the checkout.
gs1000.gif

The person had told me, that they can see the percentage of returns made, by each customer; not the products returned. I can balance this out by buying cheap items I plan to keep.
wink_face.gif

don't we all love to have a store like that next door .. i'd try them all, what is the harm if you are trying returns already :)

Sep 16, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #28,979 of 46,499
For me, The hd600 aren't geared for the type of genres I like. I listen to music with a lot of rhythm and the 600's just don't do it for me. The 650's have a way of "layering" each sound with more detail. Plus, the soundstage is a bit better on the 650 (though not too wide)... Works for games and movies better than the 600, in my opinion.
100% exactly why i am going to buy 650, and 650 is better for games and movies because of bigger bass.

Sep 16, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #28,980 of 46,499

Slick... The buying and returning, wasn't looking for a different "outcome" from the same headphone; I was trying out different brands altogether. For example; AKG K712, Grados 80e, AT M70x were some of the ones I bought, before getting the 650's again.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back