Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #28,951 of 46,514
I heard that with new packaging, treble is further a bit improved! Also bass is little improved 'less sloppy'. Also some said that improvements is very small. I definetely gonna buy one with a latest packaging.

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #28,952 of 46,514
The HD650 is the only headphone I miss the sound of, after either returning them or selling them off. I don't own a pair currently, but I'm already thinking of buying them; for a fourth time. I don't know what it is exactly, but I love the laid back sound.

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #28,954 of 46,514
I heard that with new packaging, treble is further a bit improved! Also bass is little improved 'less sloppy'. Also some said that improvements is very small. I definetely gonna buy one with a latest packaging.

The latest pair of hd650's I owned (black box and case); which I bought maybe 2 months ago, definitely sound clearer than a pair I bought a year ago. They were both identical in packaging and silver driver. I remember having to really focus on the vocals (hip-hop) in order to hear everything with the older pair, not the case with the recent one. Just my observation.

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #28,955 of 46,514

I think you heard wrong then. I've certainly heard no such thing reported.

edit - until 30 seconds ago.

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #28,957 of 46,514
  The latest pair of hd650's I owned (black box and case); which I bought maybe 2 months ago, definitely sound clearer than a pair I bought a year ago. They were both identical in packaging and silver driver. I remember having to really focus on the vocals (hip-hop) in order to hear everything with the older pair, not the case with the recent one. Just my observation.

Are the two pairs really 'burned-in" with equal hours on each? Methinks your newer one (2 months) may seem to sound clearer (more trebly) because it hasn't seen the hours that your older pair has on it. Just a hypothesis 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #28,958 of 46,514
  The HD650 is the only headphone I miss the sound of, after either returning them or selling them off. I don't own a pair currently, but I'm already thinking of buying them; for a fourth time. I don't know what it is exactly, but I love the laid back sound.

Geezuz....what made you sell 650 three times already? If you love the sound that much.....

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #28,959 of 46,514

Are the two pairs really 'burned-in" with equal hours on each? Methinks your newer one (2 months) may seem to sound clearer (more trebly) because it hasn't seen the hours that your older pair has on it. Just a hypothesis 
rolleyes.gif

Makes sense... Thing is, I've kept each one for 30 days and pretty much gave them the same use. My initial impression with the older pair, was that the vocals were a bit pushed back or a bit stuffy; if that makes any sense. The last pair weren't like that, the entire time I had them. Maybe they vary a bit between units, who knows?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #28,960 of 46,514
  Makes sense... Thing is, I've kept each one for 30 days and pretty much gave them the same use. My initial impression with the older pair, was that the vocals were a bit pushed back or a bit stuffy; if that makes any sense. The last pair weren't like that, the entire time I had them. Maybe they vary a bit between units, who knows?
smily_headphones1.gif

Variability certainly can happen, but my understanding is that Sennheisers vary much less within a model and driver type (silver) than say, Grados, which are tuned by ear.

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #28,961 of 46,514

Geezuz....what made you sell 650 three times already? If you love the sound that much.....

Just to try different headphones, with the equipment and sources I'm familiar with. I'm just hooked on trying out headphones, after reading about them. I just can't afford to own so many headphones. There is a store in NYC, that allows 30 days return; for any reason. I've been there so many times, they warned my account would be "flagged"... I made a new account and kept buying and returning different pairs. I've pretty much been comparing everything to the 650's and haven't found anything I truly enjoy listening to. That's why I keep going back to it.
L3000.gif

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #28,962 of 46,514
Just to try different headphones, with the equipment and sources I'm familiar with. I'm just hooked on trying out headphones, after reading about them. I just can't afford to own so many headphones. There is a store in NYC, that allows 30 days return; for any reason. I've been there so many times, they warned my account would be "flagged"... I made a new account and kept buying and returning different pairs. I've pretty much been comparing everything to the 650's and haven't found anything I truly enjoy listening to. That's why I keep going back to it. :L3000:
Good idea! You can try many headphones and buy the ONE that realy stuck in your heart:).

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #28,964 of 46,514
^ @geezuz183: Yeah, true. But most salespeople will get pissed off with all the repeated returns in search of the "perfect headphone". They're only human.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back