Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #28,936 of 46,518
I've seen that the BH crack is a great amp to pair with the hd 650, but I realized that the bh crack has to be put together/built. If I can purchase an already built version of the bh crack, I'll definitely do that instead. Especially since there is a deal for it right now.

I built my BH Crack in one night while drinking wine with my GF, took about 16 hours total but more like 8-9 hours of actual work.  I had all the tools needed so it wasn't too hard to follow instructions which are really good, I had to do some trouble shooting since 2 of my solder joints weren't good and I was getting some static when I first turned it on, drinking and soldering are not good to do together
tongue.gif
.  There are some in the for sale section once in a while if you can't built it but most of the time there are $375 and up so that would make them higher priced than the Ember and not as flexible since the BH Crack is only really designed for high impedance headphones like the HD-600/650/800 and Beyers.

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #28,937 of 46,518
I'm currently using the HD590. Wondering if it'll be worth it to upgrade to the HD650?

Tks.

I have both (if you mean the HD598?) so my verdict is: yes, absolutely. Its an amazing upgrade.

Cheers,
K

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #28,940 of 46,518
Thanks K. Mine's the HD590. Old model. Think I'll give the HD650 a spin.

One proviso - do you have an amp? I can't speak for the 590 but the 650 really benefits from one.

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #28,941 of 46,518
I built my BH Crack in one night while drinking wine with my GF, took about 16 hours total but more like 8-9 hours of actual work.  I had all the tools needed so it wasn't too hard to follow instructions which are really good, I had to do some trouble shooting since 2 of my solder joints weren't good and I was getting some static when I first turned it on, drinking and soldering are not good to do together :p .  There are some in the for sale section once in a while if you can't built it but most of the time there are $375 and up so that would make them higher priced than the Ember and not as flexible since the BH Crack is only really designed for high impedance headphones like the HD-600/650/800 and Beyers.

Would you consider the BH Crack easy to build for a complete beginner like myself? I don't have any real experience putting something like this together.

Sep 15, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #28,942 of 46,518
Would you consider the BH Crack easy to build for a complete beginner like myself? I don't have any real experience putting something like this together.

not much harder than cooking your first meal.... but seriously I would assume some basic soldering skills would be a plus... youtube "how to" could also come into handy...

Sep 16, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #28,946 of 46,518
Would anyone care to post an impression of how the following tracks sound on their HD650 system?

Jazz Pistols - Bugs

Jazz Pistols - Special Treatment

Oz Noy - Get Down

Gary Husband - Fred 2011

Chad Wackerman - Star Gazing

Thanks anyway in case anyone is interested.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #28,948 of 46,518
The one that was made after 2007 is the latest. It sounds less dark and has a more revealing treble response. Still warm/dark in comparison to brighter sounding headphones, but smooth and can have a very resolving sound. The packaging was updated in 2014 as well to a black box. The older box for both the original and the updated 650's is a silver corrugated box.

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #28,949 of 46,518
The one that was made after 2007 is the latest. It sounds less dark and has a more revealing treble response. Still warm/dark in comparison to brighter sounding headphones, but smooth and can have a very resolving sound. The packaging was updated in 2014 as well to a black box. The older box for both the original and the updated 650's is a silver corrugated box.

Sounds just like what I'm looking for! Is there a graph comparrison between the old and new? I think the one listed on headphone.com is the old one?

Sep 16, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #28,950 of 46,518

Sounds just like what I'm looking for! Is there a graph comparrison between the old and new? I think the one listed on headphone.com is the old one?

Sounds like an HD600 may fit the bill here? Less dark, more neutral?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back