Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 14, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #20,311 of 46,499
  Bought the hd650 and i've been using it for 6 hours. Before the purchase, I only had bright headphones. Wow, although its dark, I feel like you hear more in the music.

With bright headphones, the aren't more detailed, they just push it in your face, the hd650 puts enjoying the music before analysing it. Thats my take anyway. Oh my they are so easy to listen to, no fatigue, You don't notice it immediately. After a couple of hours I heard more things in the recording that the bright headphones I used.

Good job Sennheiser!

They are very refined. Smooth, but they don't lack any details. It's quite an accomplishment of engineering.

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #20,312 of 46,499
It takes courage to go against the prevailing wisdom on head-fi, but at some point you have to just trust your ears. I will be selling my LCD-3's later this week. At least having lived with the so-called best, I don't have to wonder about what I'm missing.

The 650's sre so much better this time around, I have to believe it's the great system synergy with the HDVA600.

Hmmm, looking to purchase LCD-3s myself. Are your's fazored?

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #20,313 of 46,499
  Hmmm, looking to purchase LCD-3s myself. Are your's fazored?

No they're not.  They were made in Nov 2013 which was literally days before the fazors were added.  I liked them but always had a nagging feeling that something was missing.  Maybe I never had the right amp for them but when I tried the 650's I was really blown away at how much more enjoyable the sound was.  The funny thing was that out of all the amps I tried with the LCD-3's, the HDVA600 was my favorite.

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #20,314 of 46,499
Here's a laugh. i was having a look at the Sennheiser UK site today and found a new category - High-end headphones. The HD 800 is there, of course, but so is the Momentum. I've heard the Momentum & it's a million miles from high-end. There's also no HD650 there. Dear God!

http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/high-end-headphones

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #20,315 of 46,499
  Here's a laugh. i was having a look at the Sennheiser UK site today and found a new category - High-end headphones. The HD 800 is there, of course, but so is the Momentum. I've heard the Momentum & it's a million miles from high-end. There's also no HD650 there. Dear God!

http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/high-end-headphones

I just checked it out and it is funny because the first of the scrolling photos has an edgy looking guy with 650's on and a turntable on the floor in the background.

Nov 14, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #20,319 of 46,499

How did sennheiser manage to have a detailed sound that isn't harsh and is smooth? I have never come across this before so i'm intrigued. When you EQ the treble down on bright headphones, the detail and harmonics are dead. I always thought in order to get detailed headphones you had to have bright headphone, obviously not now but i'm quite interested and fascinated. 

Nov 14, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #20,320 of 46,499
That's the one quality that stops me from buying another pair of headphones. Everything else I've heard thus far is too bright for me.

Nov 14, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #20,321 of 46,499
  That's the one quality that stops me from buying another pair of headphones. Everything else I've heard thus far is too bright for me.

Including Audezes?

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #20,322 of 46,499

How did sennheiser manage to have a detailed sound that isn't harsh and is smooth?

By not having treble.  The biggest difference between my LCD-X and the 650's for me is actually having a presentable high end.  The X's have such a fun and exciting sound signature. I loved my 650's while I had them but I didn't know what I was missing out on until I moved on.  They're still a really good buy if you can find a deal.  I'd really like to hear them again after listening to my X's for several months now.

Nov 15, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #20,324 of 46,499
Yes, both the Momentum and the HD 439 and the HD 650 have a rich warm luscious sound signature. But the 650 is obviously more refined, I do not dispute that. The Momentum is not as airy and open either, obviously.

I also feel that the HD 239 shares the punchy neutral sound signature of the HD 600. Yes, the treble is grainy on the 239, I'm not talking about refinement, just signature.

Nov 15, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #20,325 of 46,499

Including Audezes?

I haven't heard anything from Audeze so I can't comment on those. They're a bit too rich for me I'm afraid.
Yes, both the Momentum and the HD 439 and the HD 650 have a rich warm luscious sound signature. But the 650 is obviously more refined, I do not dispute that. The Momentum is not as airy and open either, obviously.

I also feel that the HD 239 shares the punchy neutral sound signature of the HD 600. Yes, the treble is grainy on the 239, I'm not talking about refinement, just signature.

Fair play mate. I guess that could well be the case. I'm not really a fan of closed-back headphones and so it would be difficult to impress me. However you've obviously done the research so I take that on-board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back