Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 12, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #20,296 of 46,534

Do CRACK and have SEX 650 times............
biggrin.gif

Nice did you buy it pre-assembly or build it yourself ?

I build both of them my self.THANKS!

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #20,297 of 46,534
I`ve been listening to the 650 for about 2 weeks now and I absolutely love the sound compared to my Q701. Unfortunately, they seem to give me somewhat of a
 headache or a slight ear pain after an hour which I find very weird. Neither my UE900 or my Q701 have ever done this. I still will try to get used to it because I`d be very sad if I had to change them, they really do sound amazing.

Check you're not cranking them too loud as they sound so good at volume the temptation is to amp them a bit too much sometimes I find.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #20,298 of 46,534
Check you're not cranking them too loud as they sound so good at volume the temptation is to amp them a bit too much sometimes I find.

Good point, always try to keep the volume level at the minimum for prolonged listening.

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #20,302 of 46,534
Bought the Sennheiser HD 650 a few days ago from a local store. Been running them through the Schiit Audio Modi and Magni stack, which powers the headphones really well too, haven't found the need to turn the volume pot more than 9 o'clock.

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #20,303 of 46,534
  The price is reasonable and it's one of the stock CAPS used by Bottlehead on the SEX amp and it was recommended to me by one of the BH designer.For the Attenuator i can't comment on that i never used it on the SEX tried it on the CRACK but i don't like it so i replaced both of the POT with the ALPS BLUE VELVET Pot.

I though the attenuator you tried was some weird stepped series resistor pot and not the a ladder type stepped attenuator?

The Mill spec Dale resistors are a super choice for a attenuator they are very quiet I am using them in a attenuator fitted to my Sex amp.

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #20,304 of 46,534

The price is reasonable and it's one of the stock CAPS used by Bottlehead on the SEX amp and it was recommended to me by one of the BH designer.For the Attenuator i can't comment on that i never used it on the SEX tried it on the CRACK but i don't like it so i replaced both of the POT with the ALPS BLUE VELVET Pot.

I though the attenuator you tried was some weird stepped series resistor pot and not the a ladder type stepped attenuator?

The Mill spec Dale resistors are a super choice for a attenuator they are very quiet I am using them in a attenuator fitted to my Sex amp.

Dose it matter?
In terms of sound is it a night and day difference between Ladder type and Shunt type?However i'am still thinking of getting one of the Gla55ware Audio A3 Stereo Stepped Attenuator you link from the other thread.

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #20,307 of 46,534
  Is HDVD800 the best amp for HD650?

I've never tried the HDVD800 w/HD650 but I've tried many others & the best one by far is the one I own right now : Headamp GS-1.  I've always loved the HD650 but with this amp they sound out of this world.  Not a single detail lost in the sound and the impact is outstanding.  A fellow Head-fier whom I ask advice to when I want to buy something (this guy knows his stuff) answered me this when I asked him if the HD650 had good synergy w/the GS-1 : (quoting him) : "The Senns can sound lifeless or cloudy on a lot of amps for the Dynalo amps really grab them by the balls and make them swing."  (GS-1 is also known as a Dynalo amp).  It doesn't stop there, I will be updating the GS-1 w/GS-X mk2 module which I've ordered.  So in effect my HD650s will be driven by a $1,000 amp with an upgrade of a $3000 amp.  Maybe it won't quite be as good as the GS-X mk2 itself but it'll be darn close.  I can't wait to get the module updates and drive the HD650, my favourite HP period.  I've owned the HD800 (2x), the T1 & the LCD-2 rev.2 amongst many expensive/elite HPs and I've always come back to the HD650.  Some say it's because it's a forgiving HP which makes long periods of listening more enjoyable but I say it sounds better period, w/nothing lacking or to envy from more expensive HPs.  If you're lucky enough to get the right HP amp for them they will simply blow you away.  BTW the GS-1 is discontinued but if you're lucky you can find one in the for sale forum on Head-fi or other sites like AudioGoN & US audio mart to name a few.  In my case I was very lucky to find one on Head-fi in superb like new condition.  Anyways I've ranted long enough.  This is my recommendation.  I hope you find an amp with good synergy for your 650s, they're worth it (& deserve it ?) 
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #20,308 of 46,534

I've never tried the HDVD800 w/HD650 but I've tried many others & the best one by far is the one I own right now : Headamp GS-1.  I've always loved the HD650 but with this amp they sound out of this world.  Not a single detail lost in the sound and the impact is outstanding.  A fellow Head-fier whom I ask advice to when I want to buy something (this guy knows his stuff) answered me this when I asked him if the HD650 had good synergy w/the GS-1 : (quoting him) : "The Senns can sound lifeless or cloudy on a lot of amps for the Dynalo amps really grab them by the balls and make them swing."  (GS-1 is also known as a Dynalo amp).  It doesn't stop there, I will be updating the GS-1 w/GS-X mk2 module which I've ordered.  So in effect my HD650s will be driven by a $1,000 amp with an upgrade of a $3000 amp.  Maybe it won't quite be as good as the GS-X mk2 itself but it'll be darn close.  I can't wait to get the module updates and drive the HD650, my favourite HP period.  I've owned the HD800 (2x), the T1 & the LCD-2 rev.2 amongst many expensive/elite HPs and I've always come back to the HD650.  Some say it's because it's a forgiving HP which makes long periods of listening more enjoyable but I say it sounds better period, w/nothing lacking or to envy from more expensive HPs.  If you're lucky enough to get the right HP amp for them they will simply blow you away.  BTW the GS-1 is discontinued but if you're lucky you can find one in the for sale forum on Head-fi or other sites like AudioGoN & US audio mart to name a few.  In my case I was very lucky to find one on Head-fi in superb like new condition.  Anyways I've ranted long enough.  This is my recommendation.  I hope you find an amp with good synergy for your 650s, they're worth it (& deserve it ?) 
biggrin.gif

I can concur the Senns do swing on Dynalo amps, I find HD800 are somewhat lifeless on a lot of well known amps, but balanced on GS-X mk2 they really come to life.  The HD650 likewise, however I haven't as yet tried them on any other amp which will be interesting to see

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #20,309 of 46,534
Bought the hd650 and i've been using it for 6 hours. Before the purchase, I only had bright headphones. Wow, although its dark, I feel like you hear more in the music.

With bright headphones, the aren't more detailed, they just push it in your face, the hd650 puts enjoying the music before analysing it. Thats my take anyway. Oh my they are so easy to listen to, no fatigue, You don't notice it immediately. After a couple of hours I heard more things in the recording that the bright headphones I used.

Good job Sennheiser!

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #20,310 of 46,534

No fatigue is key for these phones.  Even the LCD-3's which are supposed to be super smooth had glassy, painful sound on certain high piano notes which sound fine on the 650's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back