Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 15, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #20,326 of 46,533
Seems like the only thing the lcd-x brings is headache and harshness. :3

Quote:

By not having treble.  The biggest difference between my LCD-X and the 650's for me is actually having a presentable high end.  The X's have such a fun and exciting sound signature. I loved my 650's while I had them but I didn't know what I was missing out on until I moved on.  They're still a really good buy if you can find a deal.  I'd really like to hear them again after listening to my X's for several months now.

Nov 15, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #20,327 of 46,533
Headphones are unlike any other audio product in that comfort is an issue. For me it's a crucial element in choosing headphones & from everything I've read the planar designs all seem to be too heavy for me. Perhaps they do sound better but if they're uncomfortable then they're out of the question. As ever, YMMV.

Nov 15, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #20,328 of 46,533

By not having treble.  The biggest difference between my LCD-X and the 650's for me is actually having a presentable high end.  The X's have such a fun and exciting sound signature. I loved my 650's while I had them but I didn't know what I was missing out on until I moved on.  They're still a really good buy if you can find a deal.  I'd really like to hear them again after listening to my X's for several months now.

This is a perpetuated misconception.  The 650s have plenty of treble.  It's present and detailed.  It's just not in your face and has a smooth sweetness to it.  There is a slight roll off, but it's not as drastic as FR graphs show.  It's not etched at all.

Nov 15, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #20,330 of 46,533
  Headphones are unlike any other audio product in that comfort is an issue. For me it's a crucial element in choosing headphones & from everything I've read the planar designs all seem to be too heavy for me. Perhaps they do sound better but if they're uncomfortable then they're out of the question. As ever, YMMV.

You are right about the Audeze and the old HiFiman lineup. But the new HiFiman lineup, as well as the new Oppo lineup, are much lighter and more comfortable than other planars because they operate on a single-ended magnet rather than the formerly prevalent double-ended one.

edit: and because, in the case of HiFiman, they use a new headband suspension system. I've just tried out the Oppo Pm-1s, and they are extremely comfortable for reasons other than the those of the HiFimans, but this is sort of off-topic.

Nov 15, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #20,331 of 46,533
Thanks for the heads-up Liu. It's not far off-topic though, considering the 650's light weight is an asset to them.

Nov 15, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #20,332 of 46,533
Has anyone tried any of the Sennheiser amps with the HD 650? I know they're ridiculously expensive but it would be interesting to hear how the pairing would sound. I can't imagine it would be anything less than spectacular. It's a pity Sennheiser don't produce a more affordable amp because if it sounded good I'd be on it in a flash.

Nov 15, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #20,334 of 46,533
  Has anyone tried any of the Sennheiser amps with the HD 650? I know they're ridiculously expensive but it would be interesting to hear how the pairing would sound. I can't imagine it would be anything less than spectacular. It's a pity Sennheiser don't produce a more affordable amp because if it sounded good I'd be on it in a flash.

Well like I've said before, I don't care much for the HD650 when I heard it with my Schiit Magni. But when I heard it with the Senn amp, I thought it sounded so good to the point where I thought I must have one, and it became even better running balanced.

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #20,335 of 46,533
I am currently waiting for one of Glenns OTL amps to be built for my HD800...........I may have to bring the HD650 back  at some time , just to check it out with Glenns amp.....the 650 is a very comfortable and easy to listen to headphone.....I liked it alot.

Nov 16, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #20,338 of 46,533

I was at the NYC head-fi meet, and listened to several amps with my HD650s  My favorite was the Woo WA22, but I guess it should be for $2k.  But it was superior to the HeadAmp GS-X, which is close to double that price.

I loved Schiit Mjolnir with the HD650, that is a very worthy step up, and far more budget friendly.  I would say very close to on par with the HeadAmp, at one forth the price....

My big amp disappointment was the Bottlehead Crack.......thats right the Crack.  It was way too think, and it lacked resolve in my barely usable opinion.  But, to be fair, the guy who built this it a tube rolling addict, and I don't know how severe a change can be had rolling tubes.  Some amps are more effected by tube rolling then others.  And, I forgot to ask if he Speedballed his amp yet.....

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #20,340 of 46,533

I was at the NYC head-fi meet, and listened to several amps with my HD650s  My favorite was the Woo WA22, but I guess it should be for $2k.  But it was superior to the HeadAmp GS-X, which is close to double that price.

I loved Schiit Mjolnir with the HD650, that is a very worthy step up, and far more budget friendly.  I would say very close to on par with the HeadAmp, at one forth the price....

My big amp disappointment was the Bottlehead Crack.......thats right the Crack.  It was way too think, and it lacked resolve in my barely usable opinion.  But, to be fair, the guy who built this it a tube rolling addict, and I don't know how severe a change can be had rolling tubes.  Some amps are more effected by tube rolling then others.  And, I forgot to ask if he Speedballed his amp yet.....

Yeah, I was initially wowed by the idea of valve amplification but the more I look into it the more I'm drawn back to solid state designs. I just feel that if anyone's going to produce an amp that compliments the HD 650 it has to be Sennheiser but not at the prices they charge right now. Of course my opinion could change in a heartbeat if I actually ever get the chance to hear a valve amp.

I do experiment a lot with plug-ins in JRMC 20 and one I really like at the moment is iZotope's Ozone 6, particularly with the preset ' Subtle Tube' activated. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back