Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #15,991 of 46,499
Well I just got a cable made from DHC Nucleotide wire in. I thought these couldn't get better but somehow they did. More extension and bit more edge but without losing the warmth and body. Imaging seems to have improved a bit as well. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #15,992 of 46,499
  It is not a big difference, more refining of the Graham Slee sound. Giving it a more tube-like sound with smooth, velvety midrange and subsumed treble and awesome bass. Yes, you can obtain more control of your sound using a tube amp like the Crack, Pan Am, or Lyr. But, if you want the best of both worlds, I highly recommended.

I think I will go for the Ultra-Linear then. thanks for the advice.

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #15,993 of 46,499

Treble is something that can be tailored to personal taste if you decided to go down the tube route, for instance with the bhc by changing just the make of small input tube you can tune the sound to your own personal preference.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons why the amp has such a following, the stock tubes sent with the amp vary and most will roll, so pretty much everybody will be listening to a different combination that works just right for them.

well thanks for the explanation but I have tried many tube amps including Woo Audio, Little Dot, Stax(for Stax 407), HiFiMan, and the list goes on but after long listening and thoughts, I ended up with the Graham Slee. It seems like best of the both tube and solid state sound combined to me so will go for it. After I get me a dac and upgrade some things I will go for something from Woo Audio though, it impressed me and the idea of tube rolling seems interesting too.

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #15,994 of 46,499
Setting here alone in the dark listening to James Taylor  via Sony Vaio loss less WAV files thru the Uber Bifrost Into the Schiit Valhalla and into my senn hd-650  Its hard to believe it could get any better.....Ive been pondering the Audeze lcd-2 Just because i hear so many good things but times like this make me very content 

Highs are nicely extended, nice decay no harshness

Mids are as good as ive ever heard with detail retrieval that's better than iv'e ever heard

Bass is nice and tight with good impact

To get close to this in my previous home stereo systems I had to spend 20 times the money, And still never heard what i can hear now, its crazy
L3000.gif

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #15,995 of 46,499
I'm still loving my current setup with my 650s:

Modi -> Asgard 2

The sound is so enjoyable.

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #15,996 of 46,499
I started with the Modi and thought it was excellent but found a good deal on used uber bifrost that i could not pass up, At first I was a little disappointed with Bifrost but it has came around, I will be keeping the Modi though , I have a plan in the back of my head to get a Magi for M&M stack

Listening to Paul Simon Graceland now, sounds superb

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #15,997 of 46,499
Heard my friend's modded Bravo V2 before... wasn't really impressed, found it way too warm for my tastes. I doubt it will be too much of a step up from the Fiio E07K. Save your money for a better amp. I'd say you could consider the more budget Schiit... (Magni or Vali?)

Thanks for the reply, that's what I thought.

Feb 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #15,998 of 46,499
The worst possible situation with my 650. I had the crack for them on loan and now I've had to return it. 
eek.gif
  And now starts the long wait. I've already built the wood base, bought some choice tubes, and cleared the spot on my desk. Now my patience will  be put to the test. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #15,999 of 46,499
  The worst possible situation with my 650. I had the crack for them on loan and now I've had to return it. 
eek.gif
  And now starts the long wait. I've already built the wood base, bought some choice tubes, and cleared the spot on my desk. Now my patience will  be put to the test. 

For how long?

And your base, is there more width inside it or just more height, then the one included in the kit?

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #16,002 of 46,499
  I have a pair of HD650's with a magni/modi stack in the mail.. pretty excited.  Any ideas what I should be expecting?  Current setup is a pair of alessandro ms-1's plugged directly into my onboard sound.

Providing your hearing is intact...music as the artist and producer intended. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #16,004 of 46,499
  I have a pair of HD650's with a magni/modi stack in the mail.. pretty excited.  Any ideas what I should be expecting?  Current setup is a pair of alessandro ms-1's plugged directly into my onboard sound.

Expect to be very happy. I have vali/modi stack and I'm in bliss.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #16,005 of 46,499
  I have a pair of HD650's with a magni/modi stack in the mail.. pretty excited.  Any ideas what I should be expecting?  

At least 2 days of listening pleasure before a little voice starts asking if you need to upgrade your DAC/amp...don't listen that's just the HD650s trying to show off...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back