Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #16,006 of 46,533
  I have a pair of HD650's with a magni/modi stack in the mail.. pretty excited.  Any ideas what I should be expecting?

Congrats!!! You have every right to be excited and should be!!! 
beerchug.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #16,007 of 46,533
I have a pair of HD650's with a magni/modi stack in the mail.. pretty excited.  Any ideas what I should be expecting?  Current setup is a pair of alessandro ms-1's plugged directly into my onboard sound.

You might not like your Alessandro's right out of that setup, but the HD650 should sound quite good.

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #16,008 of 46,533
  I have a pair of HD650's with a magni/modi stack in the mail.. pretty excited.  Any ideas what I should be expecting?  Current setup is a pair of alessandro ms-1's plugged directly into my onboard sound.

Expect something with very different presentation than what you used to hear.

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #16,009 of 46,533
Re: Lorspeaker

Is that your daughter? Reminds me of my daughter when she was that age. She is 30 years old now with kids of her own. Kind of choked me up a little. Sorry for the digression.

FYI to stay on topic, I have an HD650 running off of a Project Horizon amp (which I assembled) fed by an original V-DAC, which is being fed by my PC optical digital out (Realtek chip set). The Project Horizon is using a 6DJ8 holland orange globe tube.

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #16,010 of 46,533
I finally got home from Chicago and got to open the big box from mstorie that contained my (almost) new HD650!

First impressions: Bass is a little less defined and soundstage a little more intimate than I expected, but I love everything else I've heard. Instrument separation and placement is extremely good, the level of detail is right in the sweet spot between involving and revealing, and comfort is nearly out of this world (as you would expect from a velour-pad Senn).

It's a keeper!

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #16,011 of 46,533
  Re: Lorspeaker

Is that your daughter? Reminds me of my daughter when she was that age. She is 30 years old now with kids of her own. Kind of choked me up a little. Sorry for the digression.

FYI to stay on topic, I have an HD650 running off of a Project Horizon amp (which I assembled) fed by an original V-DAC, which is being fed by my PC optical digital out (Realtek chip set). The Project Horizon is using a 6DJ8 holland orange globe tube.

Post some pics sound like an interesting setup.

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #16,012 of 46,533
Speaking of different setups, I'm messing around with running mine balanced from the taps of a 25 WPC speaker amplifier. I'm using them on the Temple Audio Bantam Gold. I still need to mess around more with using the Project Ember as a pre

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #16,014 of 46,533
  Speaking of different setups, I'm messing around with running mine balanced from the taps of a 25 WPC speaker amplifier. I'm using them on the Temple Audio Bantam Gold. I still need to mess around more with using the Project Ember as a pre

Soundstage opens up with balanced cables.  I was surprised at the difference.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #16,016 of 46,533

I have the same experience too but I'm not sure that was for the balanced cable or amp (Mjolnir). 

Going balanced definitely opens up the 650. Really enjoy the change the Mjolnir has made with them. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #16,017 of 46,533
Well balanced is going to remove the crosstalk which will make the soundstage wider.

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #16,018 of 46,533
Good evening all

I am listening to my Senn Hd-650 with Schiit Bifrost uber and Valhalla and i keep getting what i would call a reverb effect in all my loss less files from my computer,  (I got the same effect with the modi dac)  This is the only gear / source I have currently I'm not sure if this is a product of the music files, or a trait of the phones, or perhaps coming from the gear (which i doubt)

I am inclined to believe its part of the recording. Figured it could not hurt to ask if anyone else has experienced this
smile.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #16,019 of 46,533
  Good evening all

I am listening to my Senn Hd-650 with Schiit Bifrost uber and Valhalla and i keep getting what i would call a reverb effect in all my loss less files from my computer,  (I got the same effect with the modi dac)  This is the only gear / source I have currently I'm not sure if this is a product of the music files, or a trait of the phones, or perhaps coming from the gear (which i doubt)

I am inclined to believe its part of the recording. Figured it could not hurt to ask if anyone else has experienced this
smile.gif

Is there a way you can get your hands on other lossless files, or rerip your CDs to try something (preferably with a different ripping program than before).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back