Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #11,161 of 46,514
The 650 won out...sold the he4 today actually. It was a tough call. The he4 is an outstanding hp and just has so many good things going for it. The lighter weight than other HFM cans, slick paint job, upgraded cable and the wonderfully balanced ortho sound. It's a shame that they are discontinued because to me they are an improved version of the he400. The negative is that the he4 is not as easy to amp as the he400. I'll certainly miss it and was getting ready to pull the plug on the sale today and just keep it...and then it sold. 

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #11,165 of 46,514
Listening HD650 with BCL, lowest gain.  Female vocal music simply fan-tas-tic on BCL, treble is clean and smooth as crystal.
I forgot how low gain on BCL sound as I mostly use mid gain, but today, out of curiousity I switch to low gain, the clarity, liquidness and smoothness is really stunning.  Wind instruments like flute sounds very emotional and exciting .........
Ok, now back to music ........

always had mine on mid gain too....ok let me switch to loooooooooooooooooooooooo gain.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #11,166 of 46,514
Quote:
The 650 won out...sold the he4 today actually. It was a tough call. The he4 is an outstanding hp and just has so many good things going for it. The lighter weight than other HFM cans, slick paint job, upgraded cable and the wonderfully balanced ortho sound. It's a shame that they are discontinued because to me they are an improved version of the he400. The negative is that the he4 is not as easy to amp as the he400. I'll certainly miss it and was getting ready to pull the plug on the sale today and just keep it...and then it sold. 

Must have been fate Matt.
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #11,167 of 46,514
Another score for HD 650s!!

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #11,170 of 46,514
Have any of you tried any really cheap DACs with the HD-650?
I've got the X-Fi Pro Go ($35) and it's pretty impressive with the HD-650. Don't ask me how or why. I'm sending it to my Magni or Micro Amp.
It will be nice if you're poor and want to get an expensive amp before a fancy DAC
normal_smile .gif

The only difference between it and my ODAC is that it's slightly more muffled (like 1-3%
biggrin.gif
). Not as crystal clear. Level of detail seems a bit lower. It sounds warmer, but at the same time somewhat more musical. The ODAC makes some music sound much worse because it's so revealing of the crap in my collection. I even got the HD-650 to sound harsh tonight with some awful Jpop. It SEEMS this X-Fi isn't as bad for it.

Here it what's annoying..it's soundstage is larger than the ODAC and my HRT MSII with the HD-650. It sounds sort of like the Ipod 3G (not Ipod Touch) with it's touch of warmth. That thing has a WM8731 chipset and this sounds very similar.  I think this X-Fi sounds better than the Fiio E10 by far. It also sounds completely flat. No area sticks out at all ever unless it's that way in the recording.

It also goes well with my HD-598 and even without an external amp. I don't think it will drive the HD-650 very well by itself but I should try it. It might be a nice way to drive the HD-650 when you travel, but of course it won't be at 100%.

I ordered the Modi to compare with the ODAC. I don't care if it's worse really. I doubt it will really sound identical. I've never had a DAC for the HD-650 where it's soundstage really impressed me with it's size. Maybe I need the Bifrost or something. I actually don't want the HD-650's soundstage to be too massive, but that will probably never happen.

EDIT: I just tried the X-Fi Go Pro without an external amp and the HD-650 just sounds more muffled and congested. Still not horrible, but the nice soundstage seemed to shrink a little. However the sound gets ridiculously loud, but that doesn't mean anything. Volume is at 75%. Overall it still sounds quite good. The X-Fi is not good for low impedance headphones though it seems.

This is actually way better than straight out of a portable player at least.

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #11,172 of 46,514
Quote:
I've never had a DAC for the HD-650 where it's soundstage really impressed me with it's size. 

Is it even possible to get impressive soundstage for the HD650? If you ever find a recipe to make that happen I'd be incredibly happy to hear about it lol. I've been upgrading my equipment here and there. When testing things with the HD650, the headphones definitely show great improvements. Soundstage has definitely improved as well but I have never felt that it was all that impressive. I always get the image of being in a cozy cafe or lounge and i doubt it will expand that much further even with upgrades. Overall though, that is fine since that closeness and soothing ambiance is one of the main reasons why so many people love these headphones. I think the cozier soundstage also helps create that feeling. For me though I do prefer a larger soundstage. However, as far as the HD6xx series go, I believe that isn't quite their forte.  

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #11,173 of 46,514
Quote:
Is it even possible to get impressive soundstage for the HD650? If you ever find a recipe to make that happen I'd be incredibly happy to hear about it lol. I've been upgrading my equipment here and there. When testing things with the HD650, the headphones definitely show great improvements. Soundstage has definitely improved as well but I have never felt that it was all that impressive. I always get the image of being in a cozy cafe or lounge and i doubt it will expand that much further even with upgrades. Overall though, that is fine since that closeness and soothing ambiance is one of the main reasons why so many people love these headphones. I think the cozier soundstage also helps create that feeling. For me though I do prefer a larger soundstage. However, as far as the HD6xx series go, I believe that isn't quite their forte.  

If you remove a little of the foam thats stuffed in the driver, things open up. But at the cost of tightness in the bass a little (but defo more bass). I did this when I owned the 650's and I really thought they benefited. Also a powerful tube amp, aswell as a stretched headband with new pads, so they don't squash helps :)  

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #11,174 of 46,514
You guys have convinced me. My 650s will be arriving tomorrow. Upgrading from an E17>598 combo. I've decided on the Crack and will be ordering within the week. Not much left in the budget for a DAC to go with the Crack>650. Thinking about a Modi, ODAC, or MS II.

Any experience with any of those DACs and Crack/650? I know I can use the LO of the E17 to feed the Crack but I would like to have a dedicated DAC for it.

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #11,175 of 46,514
The odac is quite good IMO. I had trouble with MSII and jitter when used with foobar. The modi just didn't do it for me. It sounded a little thin and just wasn't very musical to my ears. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back