Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #11,147 of 46,514
Quote:

Do you have them well amped and with a good DAC?
Of course they'll never sound like a Grado, but mine are crystal clear.

Got a Meier Corda Classic amp, and an Audiolab MDAC. Maybe my set-up pushes them in the wrong direction....I have spent 24 hours with them, without swapping cans, and I am really starting to like them again. They are so relaxing. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #11,149 of 46,514
Listening HD650 with BCL, lowest gain.  Female vocal music simply fan-tas-tic on BCL, treble is clean and smooth as crystal.
I forgot how low gain on BCL sound as I mostly use mid gain, but today, out of curiousity I switch to low gain, the clarity, liquidness and smoothness is really stunning.  Wind instruments like flute sounds very emotional and exciting .........
Ok, now back to music ........

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #11,150 of 46,514
Quote:
I agree too. I was a really huge skeptic in terms of cables but I did find a fair offer for  a used equinox cable. I know all the cable talk is very controversial and highly subjective but unfortunately for me (more unfortunate for my wallet), there was a prominent change. The cleaner sound definitely changed my mind quite a bit on how HD650's handles EDM. Are these cables worth the $300+ price tag? That is up to each individual person. To me however, I think that is far too much of an asking price even if the changes were quite significant. If people can find these cables for a more affordable price however, I do see these as being something worth trying out. Otherwise save up or use the $300+ to go towards a great AMP or DAC.  

Yeah, I agree with your opinion. The new HD650 itself cost over $400, if the cable cost $300+, total price will be more than $700. At this price, we can invest a new better/higher pair of headphones like used LCD2. Or you can get a good headamp/DAC or whatever you want to do. Anyway, it depends on your taste. The marginal benefit that new cable brings to you in term of sound quality and the increasing price of cable will decrease.

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #11,153 of 46,514
Quote:
Quote:
I think it is just nuts giving 300 dollars for a headphone cable, especially if the headphone itself costs 400 bucks. Just my 2c

agree. better invest in good amp

Yep...but once you have the good amp....
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #11,154 of 46,514
Quote:
Yep...but once you have the good amp....
biggrin.gif

Go for new headphones? I never want to go down the cable route. EVER. The cost of a 3 foot speaker interconnect is more than my current set-up, and my current set up isn't exactly cheap.... 

OT: I have yet to try my HD650s with my Pan Am amp ever since I got it(my LCD-2 has permanently parked itself upon my head), maybe I'll take them out of the box for a while to enjoy, I do love the 650s.....

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #11,155 of 46,514
For those wishing to dabble in cables - I personally don't care for changing cables in the name of SQ, but if you must, make sure that it is on a headphone that you love and want to keep (preferably forever). Changing out cables is not something you should do to fix a headphone. It won't work. If you are unhappy with the sound before the new cable, you will (eventually) be unhappy with the sound after recabling. It will at best, give you a tiny tweak in the sound. Rely on a more transparent DAC or a better amp to help you truly better the sound. Good tubes (or solid state) can often make a dramatic difference. The amp makes a humongous difference that a recable will never match. Best of all, just find another headphone that fits your preferences better. The cable swap should be for that headphone that you have done everything else possible for, and never want to sell. It is for your literal end game headphone setup.

I bring this up because it brings better perspective on the matter. It helps newbies avoid the trap of immediately buying cables to fix a headphone that they don't enjoy. They will only waste a lot of money, and find it much more difficult to sell their headphones if they include the new cable. Most people don't want to have to pay a premium to buy a headphone that they are not sure that they will keep anyway. 

Moral of the story: Good headphones, well-recorded music, good amp, good DAC. If you are enthralled with the sound and can't imagine any better, go ahead and buy that aftermarket cable. You're keeping the headphones regardless.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #11,156 of 46,514
Quote:
For those wishing to dabble in cables - I personally don't care for changing cables in the name of SQ, but if you must, make sure that it is on a headphone that you love and want to keep (preferably forever). Changing out cables is not something you should do to fix a headphone. It won't work. If you are unhappy with the sound before the new cable, you will (eventually) be unhappy with the sound after recabling. It will at best, give you a tiny tweak in the sound. Rely on a more transparent DAC or a better amp to help you truly better the sound. Good tubes (or solid state) can often make a dramatic difference. The amp makes a humongous difference that a recable will never match. Best of all, just find another headphone that fits your preferences better. The cable swap should be for that headphone that you have done everything else possible for, and never want to sell. It is for your literal end game headphone setup.

I bring this up because it brings better perspective on the matter. It helps newbies avoid the trap of immediately buying cables to fix a headphone that they don't enjoy. They will only waste a lot of money, and find it much more difficult to sell their headphones if they include the new cable. Most people don't want to have to pay a premium to buy a headphone that they are not sure that they will keep anyway. 

Moral of the story: Good headphones, well-recorded music, good amp, good DAC. If you are enthralled with the sound and can't imagine any better, go ahead and buy that aftermarket cable. You're keeping the headphones regardless.

good advice.

==========================

but the buysell forum for cables just exposed my weakness...besides its v easy to swap out the cables on seinheisser cans.
so i tested some cables as long as it falls within my budget. sighhhh...i have been most happy since. 
confused_face.gif

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #11,157 of 46,514
So Matt, if you're still following this thread... =P  Which one won?  HE 4? or HD 650?

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #11,158 of 46,514
Quote:
I think it is just nuts giving 300 dollars for a headphone cable, especially if the headphone itself costs 400 bucks. Just my 2c

Yes I agree with this. Even though I find cables to help, $300 is madness. Especially if someone invests in those cables to fix a headphone sound signature  they don't like.  I do believe that they can be worth it but only if you can find a good deal off the FS section. I've seen some good deals where cables are down to 1/3 the original price (even lower once in a while).   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back