Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #10,876 of 46,499
Quote:
Yes we all know that this forum censors anything that could hurt its interests with its sponsors - or you should know if you don't. 

On topic tho, I did pick up a used pair of HD 555's to compare to the HD 650's to see how much of a difference there is. Some people in this thread said they sound the same. 

Let's hope that Beats, Monster, and Skullcandy never decide to become sponsors here
tongue.gif

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #10,877 of 46,499
Went to the Bay Area meet yesterday in Redwood City (CHANGfest). Had the opportunity to listen to my HD650's on a Speedball Crack (thanks uzi!), and I think that will eventually be my end game rig :) (that, or the Schiit Mjolnir/Gungir with the HD800, that was a STUNNING rig! Perfect match).

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #10,878 of 46,499
Quote:
I thought the Asgard had no tubes? Or can you add them on somehow? I think I might want to go with solid state, because I don't think the hassle with replacing tubes and waiting for them to warm up etc is worth it. But, I haven't heard a tube amp yet, so that could change.

The Asgard and the Asgard 2 are both solid state amps - no tubes.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #10,879 of 46,499
Quote:
Went to the Bay Area meet yesterday in Redwood City (CHANGfest). Had the opportunity to listen to my HD650's on a Speedball Crack (thanks uzi!), and I think that will eventually be my end game rig
smily_headphones1.gif
(that, or the Schiit Mjolnir/Gungir with the HD800, that was a STUNNING rig! Perfect match).

ugh i wish I new how to build that Crack.   

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #10,880 of 46,499
Quote:
Went to the Bay Area meet yesterday in Redwood City (CHANGfest). Had the opportunity to listen to my HD650's on a Speedball Crack (thanks uzi!), and I think that will eventually be my end game rig
smily_headphones1.gif
(that, or the Schiit Mjolnir/Gungir with the HD800, that was a STUNNING rig! Perfect match).

if you don't mind, I'm looking to get the crack+speed(I own the hd650) did you get to hear the hd800 on it ? and could you elaborate a little more on the mjolnir/gungir with the hd800 ? 

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #10,882 of 46,499
Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

It is the end-game rig for me. Since I got the Crack (about a year ago), I'm only spending money on music. I don't feel the need of a fancier gear.

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #10,885 of 46,499
I'm not sure anyone has tried that combination yet. 
size]

jk

It's an exceptionally good pairing. 

I second this. Very smooth sound, but not at the expense of treble extension. Didn't get to try the HD800 on the crack, but on the Schiit stack, the soundstage and imaging were INCREDIBLE. Plenty of bass impact with that combo as well.

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #10,886 of 46,499
Quote:
I thought the Asgard had no tubes? Or can you add them on somehow? I think I might want to go with solid state, because I don't think the hassle with replacing tubes and waiting for them to warm up etc is worth it. But, I haven't heard a tube amp yet, so that could change.

Not that anyone has to believe me, but tubes themselves actually take less time to warm up than discreet solid state amps (class A or A/B).  I'm not exactly sure how op-amps fit into the warm-up time picture, but I'd bet they're the quickest. 

Basically, my Schiit Asgard takes longer to get to it's optimal sound than my Decware Taboo. 

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #10,887 of 46,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerdave /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not that anyone has to believe me, but tubes themselves actually take less time to warm up than discreet solid state amps (class A or A/B).  I'm not exactly sure how op-amps fit into the warm-up time picture, but I'd bet they're the quickest.

A solid-state amp takes approximately 0 seconds to warm up. Do tubes warm themselves up before you need them?

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #10,890 of 46,499
If anyone is in the LA area and looking for a great deal on a like new hd-650 let me know. I just discovered I really like the sound from my MEElectronics HT-21's and my sansa fuze. I can't describe it but I love the sound signature of these little headphones, the vocals sound forward which is the type of sound I'm looking for, if only they were slightly more detailed and had more bass they would be the perfect headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back