Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #10,906 of 46,520
Sorry to go off-topic for a moment, but...

Quote:
Yes we all know that this forum censors anything that could hurt its interests with its sponsors - or you should know if you don't...

...that assertion is no less absurd than any other time I've addressed it before. Here are a few related posts:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/583950/shure-srh1840-and-srh1440-unveiled/1305#post_8273995

http://www.head-fi.org/t/572793/thunderpants-t50rp-mod-group-buy/510#post_8112525

http://www.head-fi.org/t/579472/is-it-worth-it-upgrading-lcd2-to-lcd3/75#post_7891656

http://www.head-fi.org/t/618255/check-out-the-head-fi-summer-2012-buying-guide#post_8527169

As I've said before, on most days, at least a couple-thousand posts are made on Head-Fi. How many of those posts do you suppose criticize sponsor products? And are you suggesting that they're removed? So the only posts having to do with sponsor products are the ones that are positive, all others deleted? Is that what you're suggesting? Really? Look around. It won't take long for you to see how absurd that suggestion is.

Now back on-topic.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #10,908 of 46,520
Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions on tubes for the Lyr? 

tubes that work well with the HD650s I mean :D 

Is there anything you'd like to alter by swapping the tubes?  For instance: more sparkle in the treble, tighter bass, even more euphonic mids, etc.  Your personal preferences for sound can go a long way in generating useful recommendations.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #10,910 of 46,520
Quote:

I've been through a few flavors of Amperex and so far the best I've had in my Lyr are a matched pair of 1966 halo getter Bugle Boys. They're very, very good with the Senns.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #10,911 of 46,520
Quote:

Aroldan, the poster who posted right before my last comment, said he has a Crack, and says he has a 650 in his sound signature. 
tongue.gif

And somebody else just said he tried the Crack with a 650 at a meet. 

I simply can not think any better amp than Crack for HD650 in that price range, they're just awesome pairing! :D

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #10,912 of 46,520
Quote:
^ That said, how do tubes generally sound? In comparison to solid state amps, that is. 

If I could just guess, basing on how they look actually, would it be that tubes are very good with mids, have a bit of an airy sound, with a bit of "velocity" or "movement"? 

Also, are they generally more warm? I've heard that's not always the case, but generally is... 

And, I might have read that the tubes themselves are slowly going out of production? But given how many modern tube amps there are, I'm a little skeptical. Is this true? Or is it just that all the new tubes aren't as great as the old ones, and the old ones are slowly going out of production? 

Tube amps can be just as neutral as any solid state amp, and solid state amps can be as warm in the mid range as some tube amps.  It usually comes down to how the amp was designed.  

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #10,914 of 46,520
Quote:
^ I see. Then does that mean, effectively, there is no general difference in sound between tube amps and solid state amps? Or, is there a difference, in general? And if so, what is the difference? 

There can be a difference.  I was mainly trying to point out that just generally saying a tube amp has to be warm or a solid state amp is neutral is, in my opinion, a too broad of a statement.  Each amp will have their own characteristics.  

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #10,915 of 46,520
Quote:

Is there anything you'd like to alter by swapping the tubes?  For instance: more sparkle in the treble, tighter bass, even more euphonic mids, etc.  Your personal preferences for sound can go a long way in generating useful recommendations.

Hmmm... 

to be honest, I do love the HD650 for what they are. I wouldn't mind different tubes for different sound signatures. It wasn't until the meet at the bay area that I realized how amps make a big difference. The HD650 sounded completely different out of a Burson amp than I was used to with my Lyr. 

What would be great tubes for an even more euphoric mids? And one for tighter bass? As of right now, I'm just switching back and forth between the HD650 and He-400 for the sound signature. 

On a side note, would you guys suggest getting tube raisers? I'm looking for other accessories for my Lyr lol 

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #10,916 of 46,520
Quote:

This is the best I've ever heard with the lyr for the hd650:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-12AX7-ECC83-ORANGE-GLOBE-VACUUM-TUBE-1967-O-GETTER-SINGLE-/321071817900?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4ac15f24ac

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #10,917 of 46,520
I just don't understand how someone could like the sound from hd 650's without a large treble boost! Its funny to me how different people hear things. I also think it really matters what you are used to. I just feel like they need way more treble before I could ever consider getting them.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #10,918 of 46,520
Quote:
I just don't understand how someone could like the sound from hd 650's without a large treble boost! Its funny to me how different people hear things. I also think it really matters what you are used to. I just feel like they need way more treble before I could ever consider getting them.

There will be some slight variations between pairs (possibly) and how they sound with different amps and DACs. With the Magni and ODAC I can't imagine anyone saying they sound dark. Yeah and this is despite the Magni measuring flat and being neutral.

My last two HD-650's always sounded dark. I went through so much trouble trying to get them to sound great. In the end I couldn't do anything to love them. Actually, for music I didn't find them too dark, but for gaming it was just horrible.

I purchased a new pair a few months ago and it's perfect. Not dark at all and no large mid-bass hump. Extremely well controlled bass. Variations between pairs? Who knows, but I got lucky.

I do remember a year back getting a pair from JR with a paint defect. Returned it and the replacement pair sounded much worse. I'll never understand what happened there or if my mind was playing tricks on me.

I do prefer my Q701 to my HD-650 (due to preferences), but the HD-650 is a keeper. It's warmth is kind of at my limits though.

NOTE: None of my gear changed much at all..so that's not it.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #10,919 of 46,520
I can attest to this (slightly), my first pair which was old and admittedly in bad condition sounded much darker and just crappier in comparison to my new pair. This set doesn't sound too dark and the highs while not in Grado/Ultrasone/AT levels definitely doesn't need a large boost IMO. It just sounds natural in the 650s but not necessarily better. That being said I am a treblehead so if the highs are not to "icepick to ear" levels I might just hit that treble boost a little
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
There will be some slight variations..... SNIP

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #10,920 of 46,520
Hmm, I've only ever heard my own pair of 650s, and a store demo pair, and between the two the demo pair was definitely darker sounding, when I got home with my pair I was initially surprised at the bite from the treble that I hadn't heard in the shop. Even after 100 hrs or so of break in I'm reminded of that treble bite on certain genres (jpop and the like). However I'm extremely treble sensitive so it was way more apparent to me than most people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back