Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #45,346 of 46,527
Sep 14, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #45,347 of 46,527
Perhaps a Xmas version will have twelve tubes…
Easy, a couple of risers and adapters and a quad of 6J5 and were done :ksc75smile:
Or 6J5G to be even more appropriate for Christmas (G for Glow of course :relaxed:)

Sep 24, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #45,348 of 46,527
Anyone tried their 650's with this amp?
1664048804412.png

Sep 24, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #45,350 of 46,527
Anyone tried their 650's with this amp?
1664048804412.png
Close. I found this...

2022 Jul 7 - BlairW
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-6388#post-17037999

The FV sounds great with the 6XX that's for sure! I find the 6XX are very amp dependant and can scale really well depending on what you are using. They become a bit more "ethereal" when run off the Folkvangr. Frequency extension is great, the spaciousness is great! The only thing that I have found with them and the FV is that the centre image is definitely a bit farther out to the sides, other than that it's a great pairing! I wouldn't buy the FV if your only planning on using it with 6XX's though, I think there are OTL tube amps for less that would do just as good a job with these cans. It seems a lot more flexible than i was expecting! Even the Pre-out takes a sterile clean signal and turns it into something completely new and exciting! The music just seems much better for relaxing listening compared to analytical listening without losing frequency extension! Exactly what I was hoping for, and to be honest Schiit has maintained their great bang for the buck theme with this one!

In terms of heating, its not really any longer than a standard non direct heated but I find it's more important to let it get there! I'd say you'd be super safe with 15-20 min but listening is enjoyable right away but turns into gold as it heats!

Sep 24, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #45,351 of 46,527
I finally realized after listening to so many different headphones, $100 pairs to $5000 i still realized that, i still love my sennheiser hd650s. i have never heard another headphone that can produce detailed but heavy bass like the sennheiser hd650s. Even though the sound is a little laid back, i still love them. i tried the grado sr325is and i just didnt like the sound, it was sort of muffled, there was (to me) hardly any detail. all i have to say is I LOVE MY 650s! No one can take them away from me!
rating:
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

now tell about your experiences =).
Wholeheartedly agree. Such an enduring headphone; will always have a place in my collection.

Oct 3, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #45,352 of 46,527
For @tafens: go ahead with the Custom Cans UK backweight mod…easy to do (20 minutes)…fantastic results…reversible (but why?)…
0ACCB8CA-B792-4CAC-928F-12E4520DEACA.jpeg
853165FD-4541-4B23-89F2-DA7A04D97435.jpeg
[all foam removed / mesh netting installed earside]

Oct 6, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #45,353 of 46,527
For @tafens: go ahead with the Custom Cans UK backweight mod…easy to do (20 minutes)…fantastic results…reversible (but why?)…0ACCB8CA-B792-4CAC-928F-12E4520DEACA.jpeg853165FD-4541-4B23-89F2-DA7A04D97435.jpeg [all foam removed / mesh netting installed earside]
This mod being so easy (and also reversible, which is nice), curiosity won and I ordered yesterday! :beyersmile:

Oct 6, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #45,354 of 46,527
This mod being so easy (and also reversible, which is nice), curiosity won and I ordered yesterday! :beyersmile:
I did this mod on my HD650s few weeks ago. My first time with mods in this hobby and it went very smoothly.
Very impressed with the results - bass is tighter and is better quality. The removal of the stock foam also brings the treble frequencies forward but still retains the 650's "warmth". The 650s were on thin ice as I preferred my library with my Hifimans. However, with this mod, I reach for 650s daily and the Hifimen have taken a back seat.

Looking forward to your impressions!

Oct 6, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #45,355 of 46,527
Received my shipment notification yesterday. Should have the kit sometime next week.

Leo

Oct 6, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #45,356 of 46,527
Received my shipment notification yesterday. Should have the kit sometime next week.

Leo
I just ordered mine today. I hope you got through your battle with Covid alright. I just tested positive yesterday 😣. It look's like your always one step ahead of me. The hurricane hit us in NC a couple day's after also. 🤔

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #45,357 of 46,527
I just ordered mine today. I hope you got through your battle with Covid alright. I just tested positive yesterday 😣. It look's like your always one step ahead of me. The hurricane hit us in NC a couple day's after also. 🤔
David, I'm so sorry to hear about your turn with COVID. I recommend that you get Paxlovid as soon as possible. I noticed a huge improvement in my condition after 24 hours on the pills. Friends and acquaintances report similar results. Unfortunately, I'm still testing positive as of yesterday. Hopefully, I'm almost done. I'll keep you posted on all things ME, so you know what to expect! LOL.

The silver lining is that you have a lot of time to enjoy your music.....

Leo

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #45,358 of 46,527
David, I'm so sorry to hear about your turn with COVID. I recommend that you get Paxlovid as soon as possible. I noticed a huge improvement in my condition after 24 hours on the pills. Friends and acquaintances report similar results. Unfortunately, I'm still testing positive as of yesterday. Hopefully, I'm almost done. I'll keep you posted on all things ME, so you know what to expect! LOL.

The silver lining is that you have a lot of time to enjoy your music.....

Leo
I'm glad you're doing better. Thanks for the tip on the Paxlovid, but I'm doing alright now that the body aches and fever are gone. I honestly prefer not to touch anything Pfizer has to offer. I think It's time to get outside and soak up some natural Vitamin D and fresh air. I need to get the yard cleaned up from the mess the storm left us anyway. Rock on Brother and let me know how the Custom cans Mod works out for you, cause I'm sure you will beat me to that also.😉
Oh, you can test positive for quite a while even after recovering.

Oct 7, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #45,359 of 46,527

Leo
I'm glad you're doing better. Thanks for the tip on the Paxlovid, but I'm doing alright now that the body aches and fever are gone. I honestly prefer not to touch anything Pfizer has to offer. I think It's time to get outside and soak up some natural Vitamin D and fresh air. I need to get the yard cleaned up from the mess the storm left us anyway. Rock on Brother and let me know how the Custom cans Mod works out for you, cause I'm sure you will beat me to that also.😉
Oh, you can test positive for quite a while even after recovering.
Was surprised to see the kit in my mailbox this morning. Anyway, once I watched the Youtube Video the mod was extremely easy. I have to admit that the difference is not sublime (in my opinion). All the great mids we expect from Senn's, but there is a clarity, crispness, quickness, that I didn't experience previously. Many thanks to Jonathan C! Thanks for the tip. I think that I will order more kits for the other 6 series cans I have.

Leo

Oct 7, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #45,360 of 46,527
Was surprised to see the kit in my mailbox this morning. Anyway, once I watched the Youtube Video the mod was extremely easy. I have to admit that the difference is not sublime (in my opinion). All the great mids we expect from Senn's, but there is a clarity, crispness, quickness, that I didn't experience previously. Many thanks to Jonathan C! Thanks for the tip. I think that I will order more kits for the other 6 series cans I have.

Leo
That's awesome. If @jonathan c is getting a cut from all the Mod kits he's sold for Custom cans, he should be able to retire soon. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back