Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #45,331 of 46,554
preferring analog eq adjustment over digital pre-amplification eq is a first for me......to each their own i guess

Sep 10, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #45,332 of 46,554
preferring analog eq adjustment over digital pre-amplification eq is a first for me......to each their own i guess
They seemed to get bent out of shape saying I wouldnt let them enjoy things how they want. Simply want to know if they have measured and or blind tested that it makes an audible difference.

Enjoy it how you want, but the entire reason to come onto an audio forum is to discuss audio...not just pat each other on the head about subjective opinions and anachdotal experience. Perhaps I was raised differently but I tend not to believe things (even if my anachdotal experience tells me so) without seeing a more realibale source than an easily fooled human sense such as hearing/memory.

So I will repeat, beyond anecdotal/completely subjective experience does any evidence exist showing end user digital eq (or analogue for that matter) makes any noticeable difference distortion-wise in comparison to the endless EQ used in mixing and mastering stages? If evidence exists I am happy to look at it and even change my mind.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #45,334 of 46,554
If you need that much measurement validation for you to be sure about having a difference in sound, why not stick to your stock earbuds or dollar store headphones.. I mean it would sound the same to you, yet you would save a lot of money.
Today I learned having valid reasons (aka evidence) for your beliefs is just validation. You must be very religious. Also I have some oceanfront property in Kansas to sell you.

Sep 10, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #45,335 of 46,554
They seemed to get bent out of shape saying I wouldnt let them enjoy things how they want. Simply want to know if they have measured and or blind tested that it makes an audible difference.

Enjoy it how you want, but the entire reason to come onto an audio forum is to discuss audio...not just pat each other on the head about subjective opinions and anachdotal experience. Perhaps I was raised differently but I tend not to believe things (even if my anachdotal experience tells me so) without seeing a more realibale source than an easily fooled human sense such as hearing/memory.

So I will repeat, beyond anecdotal/completely subjective experience does any evidence exist showing end user digital eq (or analogue for that matter) makes any noticeable difference distortion-wise in comparison to the endless EQ used in mixing and mastering stages? If evidence exists I am happy to look at it and even change my mind.
I will agree with the fact that Eq is not compression. An eq attenuates specific frequencies like a seperate volume nob for each frequency. It does not compress the signal. It supresses or increases the strength. The signal will distort if it is increased too much. A compressor example below.
Screenshot_20220910-120041_Chrome.jpg
So what is all the fuss about? I believe I mentioned that I use a -1 db cut at 100 to 200 hz. This does not introduce any amount of compression. It only suppresses that signal strength altering that frequencies sound level. You are correct in most of what you said.
Now let's get back to the HD650 😁

Sep 10, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #45,336 of 46,554
If you need that much measurement validation for you to be sure about having a difference in sound, why not stick to your stock earbuds or dollar store headphones.. I mean it would sound the same to you, yet you would save a lot of money.
Precisely. Meanwhile, I’m ‘suffering’ through my naim cd player’s un-eq’d version of Brand X (Trilogy), while these guys get their rulers out and measure each other’s gear. 🤣

Sep 10, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #45,337 of 46,554
I will agree with the fact that Eq is not compression. An eq attenuates specific frequencies like a seperate volume nob for each frequency. It does not compress the signal. It supresses or increases the strength. The signal will distort if it is increased too much. A compressor example below.

So what is all the fuss about? I believe I mentioned that I use a -1 db cut at 100 to 200 hz. This does not introduce any amount of compression. It only suppresses that signal strength altering that frequencies sound level. You are correct in most of what you said.
It doesn’t introduce compression like a compressor would. Like I said in my previous posts, the dynamic range gets a bit weaker; louder and softer passages in songs are more equal.

It SHOULDN’T happen theortically, yes. But since nothing is perfect in practise it happens. Just like amps and dacs shouldn’t add their own sound in theory, yet they do in practise.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #45,338 of 46,554

No fuss due to your comment at all. The fuss was due to those two other guys insisting that we were somehow wrong for preferring not to use eq.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #45,339 of 46,554
No fuss due to your comment at all. The fuss was due to those two other guys insisting that we were somehow wrong for preferring not to use eq.
If it sounds good to you do it. I'm just here for the knowledge and entertainment. 😉

Sep 10, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #45,342 of 46,554
Reset. Does anyone have any impressions about the 650 they would like to add? 😉
I think they sound veeerrryyy similar to the 6XX...except possibly a little compressed.

Uh...sorry, had my digital EQ engaged. :ksc75smile:

Sep 10, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #45,343 of 46,554
The Custom Cans UK cnc backweight / foam removal / mesh insertion modded / Dekoni padded HD6XX performs 🎼 magic with Lyr3 + KenRad !!

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #45,344 of 46,554
Folkvangr fed by Gumby to stock HD6XX also performs magic tonight!

7EE9B071-2D0D-46C6-9BD6-62C6DACFEE89.jpeg

The Voskhod 6N1P tubes backed by the 6N6Ps behind them are nothing less than fantastic in this amp.

Also, no eq :ksc75smile:

I’m intrigued by the Custom Cans mod though and might try it!

Sep 13, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #45,345 of 46,554
Folkvangr fed by Gumby to stock HD6XX also performs magic tonight!

7EE9B071-2D0D-46C6-9BD6-62C6DACFEE89.jpeg

The Voskhod 6N1P tubes backed by the 6N6Ps behind them are nothing less than fantastic in this amp.

Also, no eq :ksc75smile:

I’m intrigued by the Custom Cans mod though and might try it!

Reminds me of xmas. Beautiful sight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back